Dish To FCC: Let Us In!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I remember I said this earlier in the year and a lot of your guys thought I was nuts... :neener
I was probably one of them! :p But with 100% LiL coverage, how many people can possibly be left to serve with distants? Do you recall seeing the stats on that? RV'ers can't be a big market either...

Well a number of thoughts on it...

1) Is if they get the permission to get into DISTANT Networks again they can terminate the month to month lease with AAD and gain back 2 transponders. Those 2 transponders are worth more then what they are getting from AAD.

2) With 100% LIL the take number will be small, but using MPEG4 or 8PSK they can deliver them still and have more room for expansion with the extra space on the transponders. :)

I imagine there are still many people who will get waivers from their local affiliates to get distant nets as well. I used to have waivers from 3 of the 4 Atlanta nets. It was nice to get out of market games and such.

I imagine there are still many people who will get waivers from their local affiliates to get distant nets as well.
Interesting concept, but... Why would an affiliate grant a waiver in favor of somebody else's station when they already know Dish Network carries their station?

I tried getting waivers from the new york stations as our cable company carries both NY and Philly stations. They ALL ignored me. Phone calls, letters, nothing worked. I tried to argue with Dish that their failure to respond was tacit approval and they balked. I wound up getting them both for a while when their glitchy system said I was in a white area, but then they yanked them about 9 months later.

Whatever happened to significantly viewed?

I'd have to look at the legislation, but some things haven't changed...

If I am not mistaken, if local channels are being served to you, you have no ability to receive distant networks. I remember back in '05 that DirecTV was not giving anyone distant networks anymore if they served local channels. I also remember it being part of the law somewhere...

So if Dish Network receives those two transponders, the only people they can give distant networks to are those that have missing network affiiates (the short markets without a full set of affiliates) and RVers. Waivers in that case do not apply.

So the real question is what benefit would Dish Network have to take over those two transponders? It isn't like Dish Network would make a whole bunch of money off of distant subscribers anymore, as they cannot sign up that many.

Well that makes sense, but what about the distant network subscribers? Do I get to assume that Dish Network already has networks on CONUS for RVers and the like, and are just waiting to have the switch flipped?

Well that makes sense, but what about the distant network subscribers? Do I get to assume that Dish Network already has networks on CONUS for RVers and the like, and are just waiting to have the switch flipped?

I do not think Dish will go that route any more. They want the ability to do distants to fill in markets, not serve RVers. If RVers and distants market was a great money maker AAD would be minting money and be able to pay Dish well for the TP space.

Dish will put distants on spots to fill in the markets. I think that RVers will be out of luck.

What if Dish gets back into the distant nets and AAD folds up? Will the waivers that we have for AAD be transferred over to Dish or will we have to go thru the waiver process again with Dish?

Interesting concept, but... Why would an affiliate grant a waiver in favor of somebody else's station when they already know Dish Network carries their station?

I can't give you their logic as I'm not privy to it. But I convinced 3 of the networks in Atlanta to let me do it just a few years ago. Wasn't tough either.

Hi there, What happens to us that are currently with all american and have contracts for a year. Do they refund us the money for the service that we are not getting or are we s*** out of luck. Please let me know I currently have LA & Chicago with them. Thanks, AC

Dish will not be able to offer distants to anyone, they will only be able to fill short markets. Since Dish has locals in every market, you can only get your locals. The only out of market stations you could possibly see is significantely viewed and a distant brought in to fill your market. Most likely it will be an adjacent market station that is not SV. This way Dish can just turn on a station already on the spot beam.

If you live in a market where the big 4 operate, you will not get any distants. Even if you have 0 reception at your location. Dish can only provide your locals since they carry your market.

Which just leaves the RV market. Again I do not see it being large enough to justify. Which would bring in more subs? RVers or 4 more national HD channels that everyone can see?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)