Dish to go straight to 5G wireless

they better hurry

from the article
"Dish says the company will likely skip 4G and head right to 5G -- assuming it ever builds a wireless network at all. FCC rules attached to Dish's 700 MHz E-Block licenses (acquired in 2008) state Dish must achieve either 40% signal coverage by next month, or institute a 70% buildout by March 2020."

gonna be a busy 3 years

They bought the spectrum in 2008 and haven't done a g** damn thing with it in nearly 9 years. Unless they get bought out by someone like Verizon, how can they hope to get this done in 3 years? :coco

Like I've mentioned before, the people who said this was bought just it could be sold for a profit down the road are looking more and more correct each day.

they better hurry

from the article
"Dish says the company will likely skip 4G and head right to 5G -- assuming it ever builds a wireless network at all. FCC rules attached to Dish's 700 MHz E-Block licenses (acquired in 2008) state Dish must achieve either 40% signal coverage by next month, or institute a 70% buildout by March 2020."

gonna be a busy 3 years
Yeah, there is a lot to do with a standard that doesn't even exist yet. And this needs to be a national thing, right? They can't just put up towers in Chicago and call it a day.

I think Ergen feels he is real close to creating a juggernaut, but lacks the capital to pull it through, either starting from scratch or buying a mobile company.

I don't think they have any intention of doing anything other than hoarding 5g spectrum and selling. The 70% buildout window by March 2020 is fast approaching with little going on.
Would be funny if they lose it all with no buyers especially with government rumored 1 trillion dollar infrastructure plan, which includes huge broadband upgrade likely in full swing by then.

Reactions: Mochuf
why would anyone buy it knowing that dish has 3 years to build it out or lose it?
they can just buy it at auction
i would assume the money dish paid would be lost/forfeited

Reactions: camo and MikeD-C05
I see him losing the money invested in this too. There is no way that DISH will build a wireless network in 5g in less than 3 years. Now if he can merge with T mobile and then use his network and combine efforts, maybe. But the time is getting shorter by the day.

I don't think they have any intention of doing anything other than hoarding 5g spectrum and selling. The 70% buildout window by March 2020 is fast approaching with little going on.
Ergen has been taking on a good deal of debt to pile up cash. Has to be a reason.

Would be funny if they lose it all with no buyers especially with government rumored 1 trillion dollar infrastructure plan, which includes huge broadband upgrade likely in full swing by then.
The $1 trillion plan is a joke. Regardless I have a hard time thinking that would include private telecom infrastructure.

The nature of the use of the 700 spectrum to me actually backs up your thought. I too think it is going to be part of some deal to someone who wants to use it.

Reactions: camo
I think when DISH does lauch, you are going to be surprised at how fast they go up.

Wish I could say more ;)
I hate it when you do that, Scott. :D

The corollary to "If you don't have something nice to say..." is "If you don't have something complete to say..."

I think what Scott is telling us is that he has knowledge of what the Dish plan is but can't publish it because of gag rules :).... He is also alluding to the fact that it can, in fact, be done in the short timeframe needed....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)