Dish to go straight to 5G wireless

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Doesn't some of what you're doing count against the 10GB hotspot limit where it slows down to 3G if you go over?
I haven't changed to the new plans because I use my iphone personal hotspot button when my terrible rural WISP provider doesn't work at all.
Not on wifi...but it does on cellular

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

This is only partially correct. Tablets added to the Unlimited plan get 10gb at high speed, then they are throttled down to 3G speeds (max 3mbps). I called VZW just now to confirm.

Which part of it is incorrect? The question was if an iPad could be used on the plan. The answer is "yes". And, it's unlimited, just like on a phone. I didn't mention speed, but both a phone and a tablet get 22 gb before depriortization and 10 gb of hotspot before 3g speeds.

Your statement that the plan is only for phones is totally 100% incorrect.

Which part of it is incorrect? The question was if an iPad could be used on the plan. The answer is "yes". And, it's unlimited, just like on a phone. I didn't mention speed, but both a phone and a tablet get 22 gb before depriortization and 10 gb of hotspot before 3g speeds.

Your statement that the plan is only for phones is totally 100% incorrect.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. You can add a tablet to the "New Verizon Unlimited Plan," but it ONLY gets 10gb at high speed, not 22gb, before it throttles back to 3G for the rest of the cycle. If you consider that "unlimited," well then OK, but I think most people consider that to be exactly what it is, limited. There is no de-prioritization with regards to tablets because they ONLY get 10GB at high speed then a hard cut to 3G. Don't take my word for it; call Verizon and ask them for yourself, as I did this morning.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. You can add a tablet to the "New Verizon Unlimited Plan," but it ONLY gets 10gb at high speed, not 22gb, before it throttles back to 3G for the rest of the cycle. If you consider that "unlimited," well then OK, but I think most people consider that to be exactly what it is, limited. There is no de-prioritization with regards to tablets because they ONLY get 10GB at high speed then a hard cut to 3G. Don't take my word for it; call Verizon and ask them for yourself, as I did this morning.

First of all, you can call Verizon five more times and get five different opinions.

Second, the 10 gb before going to 3g speeds is for hotspot use and applies to phones, tablets, or mifi's.

Third, phones and tablets get 22 gb of LTE speeds before deprioritization. Most have reported no difference in speeds, but Verizon may slow speeds on congested towers. So, by your definition, it's not unlimited for a phone either.

If you want to get educated on cellular matters, go to HowardForums. http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/51-Verizon-Wireless

I'm a member of that forum, and I also am a seller of cell phones on Ebay, so it's my business to be in-the-know about this stuff. I'm not interested in seeing who can pee higher on the pole here, so I'll just let you have your rant. The fact remains that they consider ipads and tablets as hotspots by their very nature, just as Tmobile does, and you can even try to put your cell phone SIM in it, and it will only have 10gb at high speed.

For a second time, here is proof. So unless they're flat out lying to me, this is the response I've gotten twice today, once via phone, once via Chat:

Untitled.png

Last edited:
I'm a member of that forum, and I also am a seller of cell phones on Ebay, so it's my business to be in-the-know about this stuff. I'm not interested in seeing who can pee higher on the pole here, so I'll just let you have your rant. The fact remains that they consider ipads and tablets as hotspots by their very nature, just as Tmobile does, and you can even try to put your cell phone SIM in it, and it will only have 10gb at high speed.

For a second time, here is proof. So unless they're flat out lying to me, this is the response I've gotten twice today, once via phone, once via Chat:

I didn't think I was on a rant, I was trying to give an informed answer. I don't know what selling phones on eBay has to do with anything, but you are ill informed.

As for your proof, as I said before, you can ask five CSR's and get five different answers. You should have asked Jennifer or Mike.

depry.JPG
depry2.JPG

Or, you could ask on the Verizon forum and get an answer from Weth, who is the recognized guru there.

depryforum.JPG

Or, you can read it in Verizon's announcement. "unlimited data on your smartphone and tablet" http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-unlimited-data-network-you-deserve-verizon

deprycrum.JPG

I didn't think I was on a rant, I was trying to give an informed answer. I don't know what selling phones on eBay has to do with anything, but you are ill informed.

As for your proof, as I said before, you can ask five CSR's and get five different answers. You should have asked Jennifer or Mike.

View attachment 124953 View attachment 124954

Or, you could ask on the Verizon forum and get an answer from Weth, who is the recognized guru there.

View attachment 124955

Or, you can read it in Verizon's announcement. "unlimited data on your smartphone and tablet" http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-unlimited-data-network-you-deserve-verizon

View attachment 124956

It's a shame that volunteers in forums are better informed than paid employees at Verizon. Guess same could be said of Dish; folks here know more and earlier than Dish's own CSR's. But, I'm thankful for this place.

Reactions: pattykay
It's a shame that volunteers in forums are better informed than paid employees at Verizon. Guess same could be said of Dish; folks here know more and earlier than Dish's own CSR's. But, I'm thankful for this place.

I really don't blame the Verizon employees. Verizon has dozens of plans with dozens of features going back 15 years or more and they come out with new features and restrictions weekly. Add to that all the promotions and discount variables. I don't see how they can keep up.

I really don't blame the Verizon employees. Verizon has dozens of plans with dozens of features going back 15 years or more and they come out with new features and restrictions weekly. Add to that all the promotions and discount variables. I don't see how they can keep up.

While I agree, it blows my mind that you and I could get 2 completely different pieces of information from 2 different paid employees on the same day! I think that's shameful

While I agree, it blows my mind that you and I could get 2 completely different pieces of information from 2 different paid employees on the same day! I think that's shameful

I have found that the Verizon employees and dealers who contribute to HoFo and reddit are far and away more reliable than the typical Verizon CSR who you encounter through a phone call or chat session.

With that, I will end my part of this thread hijack and apologize to the OP.

I think when DISH does lauch, you are going to be surprised at how fast they go up.

Wish I could say more ;)
They meaning towers?

Getting cell towers built has become a logistical nightmare.
Land owners wanting outrageous sums of money in lease payments. NIMBYs objecting to tower proposals because they have to drive by the thing on their way to soccer practice. All the local politicians looking to get their palms greased.
I think in order for Dish to get something like this done, they are going ot have to team up with a cell carrier.
Around here, if its any company except Verizon, its not going to matter. Dish may as well scratch the Charlotte NC market off their list.
I read a few years ago that of the 30 largest markets surveyed, this one Charlotte NC has the WORST and most unreliable cell coverage.
So Dish could roll out 35g service that promises to wash your car and chaperone your 16 year old daughter on her prom date and it still wouldn't matter because the signals suck.

Wouldn't 5G have better coverage area than 4G LTE? That would mean that they would need to be on a lot fewer towers to get the same coverage that 4G gets now.

Charlie should have launched a constellation of LEO satellites. They differ from GEO satellites that they use for their tv and broadband services due to the fact that they are closer to earth. This results in lower pings and being able to work for phone, gaming, etc that typical GEO satellites do not work well with. A LEO satellite would have much better coverage than a tower. The issue would be that there would be no coverage indoors unless you get a device placed in the window to act as a repeater of the signal.

Maybe Charlie will do something like Starry is doing. They could do the mesh with the satellite dishes at customers homes that are already in place. Maybe a combination of LEO, GEO and towers with mesh. Communicate on all platforms. They could use Hughesnet/Dish Net to serve as hot spots for their service in rural areas.

They could offer some awesome deals to get a lot more people to sign up for satellite tv and use that as a platform for their repeater system. They could expand the launch of their device they have that is similar to a ROKU that has chips inside that acts as a mesh or work a deal with FCC to provide all the hardware for the new 3.0 OTA transition with it also containing the chips necessary to launch their new service.

They could also launch their own phone with mesh capabilities already in them that work off of each other instead of so much off of the cell towers. But then again they would need a source for the data which may be a mesh system between Dish/Hughes.

The whole mesh thing I have mentioned in this post is probably far fetched but you have to start somewhere.

Are they still partnered with Sprint in some rural areas on their internet service? Did they expand that?

Reactions: jamesjimcie
I have found that the Verizon employees and dealers who contribute to HoFo and reddit are far and away more reliable than the typical Verizon CSR who you encounter through a phone call or chat session.

With that, I will end my part of this thread hijack and apologize to the OP.

No worries.

5g transmission towers and equipment need to be developed before they can be deployed...just saying everything is still in the lab being tested..but who knows if that would stop dish

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: jamesjimcie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts