Dish to Launch DISH Earth Channel

It's interesting, but it's not going to be as impressive as views from the Space Station: the satellite is stationary!
The only practical application that I can think of would be tracking the path of the hurricanes and cyclones.

It's interesting, but it's not going to be as impressive as views from the Space Station: the satellite is stationary!
The only practical application that I can think of would be tracking the path of the hurricanes and cyclones.

You can find pictures of the gulf for hurricanes a little better since weather satellites are not 22k miles away. They showed the pics on the charlie chat or something like that one time. Kinda neat to show your friends and flip to every once in a while but nothing you'll just be dying to watch at night.

Actually you are right. The orbit is too high even for that!
Wonder what kind of bandwidth they are going to allocate to this channel.
The picture will not change that much for minutes or even hours, so they could use extremely low bandwidth for something like that.

The picture changes every 15 seconds. The resolution being sent from the satellite is 720 x 486 pixel NTSC.

BTW today you can give your friends the world for FREE. Check out Give The World

earthday.png

Sorry, but this is a total waste of bandwidth. Give me Speed HD instead. :D
While I'm waiting like a lot of other people for Speed HD, this "waste of bandwidth" should be minimal. I mean, short of the occasional UFO (all right, space junk) moving in front of the Earth, the difference between frames will be minimal, yielding a very low bandwidth. (Oh, props to Ilya for posting that thought first...)

Speaking of HD and space, where's NASA-HD??? And speaking of NASA, it looks like they beat Dish to air with live views of Earth from the ISS (including a green NASA bug in the corner).

Last edited:
Ok here is the official press release. :)

DISH Network® Introduces DISH Earth CHANNEL
Real-time views of planet from world’s first Earth-directed camera mounted on a commercial communications satellite

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – April 22, 2009 – DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) today announced the launch of DISH Earth, a channel exclusively available to DISH Network customers, offering dramatic live views of Earth 24 hours per day, including passing views of the moon, Venus, and even unidentified flying objects. DISH Network customers can experience the camera’s live feed for free on Ch. 212 beginning this evening.

The DISH Earth channel content is supported by a camera installed on DISH Network’s EchoStar 11 satellite – the world’s first Earth-directed camera mounted on a commercial communications satellite. Six years in the making, the DISH Earth camera offers a 30 degree x 22.4 degree field-of-view that includes fascinating live full-disk views of the planet from a distance of approximately 22,300 miles above Earth. The regular night/day cycle, weather patterns, and seasonal changes in the western hemisphere are clearly visible via the ‘eyes’ of the camera, which observe objects in the visible spectrum, similar to the human eye, with a resolution of about 20 km per pixel.

“We are pleased to be able to offer, exclusively to our customers, footage from the world’s only Earth-viewing live video camera on a commercial communications satellite,” said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming at DISH Network. “What’s more, from time to time, the DISH Earth camera is able to capture some unique images, including an unidentified flying object last August.”

The DISH Earth camera was integrated onboard the EchoStar 11 spacecraft, a high powered satellite launched in 2008 to a geo-synchronous orbit at 110 degrees west longitude, which provides video service for DISH Network customers.

In addition to the live video footage, DISH Network has also partnered with Space Services, Inc. (SSI), a Houston-based aerospace company, to offer consumers photos of the planet on a loved one’s special day via its Give the World™ service. The camera captures the cloud formations, storms, and the green and blue beauty of planet Earth forever in a nicely packaged photo frame to commemorate a birthday, wedding, anniversary or any memorable occasion. Regular photo pricing ranges from $29.95 to $99.95.

The DISH Earth camera was developed by the EchoStar Spacecraft Operations Team, Ecliptic Enterprises Corporation of Pasadena, CA, and Space Systems/Loral and is operated under a license granted by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

For more information about DISH Earth and Give the World, visit www.GiveTheWorld.com. To view videos of timelapsed images of the earth and an unidentified flying object, visit www.GiveTheWorld.com/aboutEchoStar11.asp. To learn more about DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com.

Last edited:
Leave it to Dish to wait until Earth Day is almost over to launch its tribute to Earth Day...

(we'll have it up Soon™)

Speaking of HD and space, where's NASA-HD??? And speaking of NASA, it looks like they beat Dish to air with live views of Earth from the ISS (including a green NASA bug in the corner).

I agree! Heck, isn't the public access requirement space based, not based on number of channels? So couldn't they just get rid of some of of the others to add NASA HD?

Actually you are right. The orbit is too high even for that!
Wonder what kind of bandwidth they are going to allocate to this channel.
The picture will not change that much for minutes or even hours, so they could use extremely low bandwidth for something like that.

You will be able to see the hurricanes though. Just saying you are better off clicking on the satellite views on Weather.com or Wunderground.com.

As to the "Waste of bandwidth" issue. I thought this channel was a "telemetry" channel so no usable bandwidth was being "wasted".

See ya
Tony

To get it to our receivers, I'm sure they will have to uplink it to a DBS transponder. I doubt our recievers can proccess the telemetry channels. It will most likely take 3 trips, space to earth on telemetry, earth to space uplink, then to our dishes space to earth.

Actually, NOAA weather sats are at GEO, same as E11. Just much higher resolution, and reprojected to look flat on the US.

Here is a GOES 12 images, from 75W (obviously with boarders added).

http://www.scsebnic.net/SITO_PAN/Foto/GOES12VIS1800.jpg

Wow! I wasn't aware of that. Now that's a camera! But obviously that satellite is designed to take pictures of the earth, not beam down a bunch of TV channels.

I am surprised that Directv with all there technology doesn't have a camera on there Satellite. Geeesh Directv.

Why do they need to? Many folks bitch every year when the price increase comes along, why spend the extra money to put a camara and the necessary support hardware on a satellite to add that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts