DISH to partner with Aereo?

I think you all missed the loophole here.

I think Aero is leasing out micro antennas to customers, and that's how they are getting around the retransmission crap.

Go on their website and they got what looks like a computer board with hundreds of small antennas on it.

It's almost like they are leasing you a sling box hooked up to its own OTA Antenna.

That is what the court said. They are renting you an antenna, a DVR and a slingbox. All under the control of the end user, not Aereo.

This sounds very HW-intensive. I can't imagine millions of subs, each with their own individual antenna and DVR, no matter how virtual.

Antenna the size of a dime. HW & SW courtesy of Dish Hopper.

I can see this printing press putting out money.

Was surprised to see Aero and the verdict mentioned on GMA this morning.I would have figured that the evil mouse would have passed on the story.

Once AutoHop and Aereo win, there really won't be much sense to keep OTA broadcasts. Commercials end up being worthless and the networks no longer have control over delivery of the content they paid for.

They might as well just become cable networks that work under subscription models.

I don't think DISH could collect any money for this as by putting themselves in the middle they would put themselves in the position of having to pay carriage fees. You need to maintain the charade of this is just another way to hook an off air antenna to your TV.

The payback for Dish would be in markets where Aereo is available Dish could get out of having to pay outrageous sums for network locals. If CBS said they wanted $0.75 for their channel in NYC Dish could counter with $0.15 and if they could not reach an agreement and CBS pulled the channel then Dish customers could connect using Aereo if they were willing to pay $8 for locals. Many people might not pay for the locals so the CBS station would lose twice, first the fees they were collecting from Dish and secondly with fewer viewers they would collect less for advertising.

Bloomberg had live interview with Aereo top dog this afternoon. Should be on replay tonight and probably the bloomberg archive feed tomorrow. Good stuff!

Sent from my S3 using SatelliteGuys

I think that combining Aereo with what everyone refers to as TV Everywhere could remove the need for the slingbox technology.. Many of the cable channels are online now but the locals are not.. A combo could provide both national and local content without a slingbox.

Plus, if they bought Aereo they might end up with some legal ammo to prevent other competitors from entering the local content business without paying Dish a licensing fee.

Last edited:
I don't think DISH could collect any money for this as by putting themselves in the middle they would put themselves in the position of having to pay carriage fees. You need to maintain the charade of this is just another way to hook an off air antenna to your TV.

The payback for Dish would be in markets where Aereo is available Dish could get out of having to pay outrageous sums for network locals. If CBS said they wanted $0.75 for their channel in NYC Dish could counter with $0.15 and if they could not reach an agreement and CBS pulled the channel then Dish customers could connect using Aereo if they were willing to pay $8 for locals. Many people might not pay for the locals so the CBS station would lose twice, first the fees they were collecting from Dish and secondly with fewer viewers they would collect less for advertising.

You're not looking at the big picture. This has Dish written all over it. The markets it would be available could be most anywhere. But this also could be a step towards something I have posted about before. Regional locals or distant locals. Why? because that exists right now with a Slingbox. Add the Aereo technology and the world is our oyster. :)
Think of how many times over the years many of us have posted there are people who would pay a fee to get locals from their original hometown. There are people who use a Slingbox in that manner now. One consideration - how the NFL looks at this since they are the only major sport to be on OTA on a regular basis. How will they react if it becomes common place to get out of market games without their package?

Last edited:
I think that combining Aereo with what everyone refers to as TV Everywhere could remove the need for the slingbox technology.. Many of the cable channels are online now but the locals are not.. A combo could provide both national and local content without a slingbox.

Plus, if they bought Aereo they might end up with some legal ammo to prevent other competitors from entering the local content business without paying Dish a licensing fee.

How would the Aereo technology allow me to watch the Red Sox live, an HBO program, or monitor my security cameras? And most cable channels are not online by any means. At best some of their programs are but not at the time of broadcast, and even then they charge often. The real answer is a combination of the Aereo, Sling, and Dish.

Since Aereo is selling local channels using a group master off air antenna setup they would have trouble selling this legally as just another type of antenna if you could receive the NYC locals in Chicago. They will have to do geo blocking. If you don't have a NYC IP then you can't subscribe to NYC channels.

Because? No problem doing exactly that with a Slingbox now. Which is the point about my post.

This could result in the networks to put pressure on congress to change the rules to their favor.

It was a Supreme Court Ruling (Sony Betamax) that user controlled copies are not a copyright violation. I doubt that Congress would work to work around that decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)