Coax cables from wall plate

rharkins

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Kansas City, MO USA
When they installed our Hopper/Joey in our new house, the tech made a point of cutting all of the ends off the prewire coax and replacing them with 3GHz connectors. He also dug the barrels out of the wall plates and replaced them, too. He made up cable jumpers to run from the wall plate to the receiver.

I'm moving one of the TVs from a stand to a wall mount. The Dish supplied cable isn't long enough.

The made-up cables I'm finding at the big box stores don't have the big 3 GHz ends on them. I don't have the tools to build my own.

Is there any place to buy the high-test cables, or is it even an issue?

I'd just make sure the jumper is RG6. There is a very slim chance you'll have a problem as long as you stick to that. Especially on a short piece. Get one with threaded connectors too and not the quick push on type.

Official(ish) Answer - only use RG6 3Ghz rated products end to end.

Real world - you'll probably be OK with a decent quality cable. I have less worry about the actual cable than the store bought manufactured connectors on them.

Try it out before the move, check transponder strengths before and after. For inside work, that won't be knocked around too much it's worth a try. If there is going to be a lot of strain, those nice professional looking molded ends will give out.

When they installed our Hopper/Joey in our new house, the tech made a point of cutting all of the ends off the prewire coax and replacing them with 3GHz connectors. He also dug the barrels out of the wall plates and replaced them, too. He made up cable jumpers to run from the wall plate to the receiver.

I'm moving one of the TVs from a stand to a wall mount. The Dish supplied cable isn't long enough.

The made-up cables I'm finding at the big box stores don't have the big 3 GHz ends on them. I don't have the tools to build my own.

Is there any place to buy the high-test cables, or is it even an issue?

The fittings on the cable isn't what is rated for 3 ghz. Its either the cable or the barrel connectors in the wall plates.

The reason why the tech changed the fittings was for quality checks and our approved list. However any compressed or premade cable will work as long as the cable is rated for 3ghz.

But if the cable cost more than 15 bucks why not just have a tech arrive. And make one for you?

You could always find a retailer or home theater installation place. They could make you a cable an any length and it would probably be cheaper. We make up lengths of cable for customers all the time and put the ends on them. We charge 35 cents a foot and the fittings are 99 cents, pretty cheap.

You must be doing that for good will. You sure aren't putting food on the table at those rates.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't. I make my own cables. I just see that making a ten foot cable manually (labor time) and getting about six bucks is not very profitable.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)