Dish to start upgrading HD customers to MPEG4

Thanks dfergie. I also have the HD1000 and I love it. What do you mean by single tuner mode? Is it possible to burn a HD movie, etc. from the 622 onto a DVD? If so, would it be in HD or SD after burning? Does the 622 have an input on the back to connect my OTA antenna, like my 811 does?

SD to DVD but the 622 / 722's have the option of using pretty much any external USB 2.0 Hard drive to archive programming to in HD or SD....Single tuner mode or more correctly single TV mode lets you use both Dish tuners and a OTA tuner at the same time for recording...the other mode lets you run 2 TV's as stated above independently...

Thanks nsafreak. I know nothing about DVR's. Would the projector have to be turned on every time we wanted to record something? Because we only use it to watch HD movies/DVD's and football games. If so, it would be easier to have DVR hooked up to the TV, wouldn't it? But then if we recorded something on the DVR/TV hookup, how do we watch it on the projector? Would I have to first burn it to a DVD to watch it on projector? Does anyone have a setup like mine(projector and TV in different rooms)? If so, what do you have hooked up to each?

The way the 622/722 (or any of the newer dual tuner DVR units work) is that you record a show and it is viewable on any TV set that is hooked up to it. You don't have to have the projector on to record a show off the TV 1 tuner, you simply set a timer and the unit uses an unoccupied tuner to do the job, they're independent of the TV that they're hooked up to. For example you could record a TV show that you're watching on your CRT TV then later decide to watch it on the projector by simply bringing up the recorded shows interface. Works the other way around as well. You can record 2 satellite programs at the same time and you can also record another program via OTA at the same time as recording those 2 satellite streams. Lots of versatility that these units provide.

Thanks guys, I'm definitely learning about DVR's. Has anyone been contacted yet by Dish about this? I'm wondering when they'll get to me. I wonder how long they'll give you to act before they cancel your service. Obviously this is not voluntary, right?

Are the 622s part of the upgrade?

I'm only kidding. I can't believe how many people don't read the original post or know whether or not they have an HD receiver. Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't everybody know what their receiver is, what it is capable of and whether it is SD, HD, MP2 or MP4? Am I the only one who asks those questions at purchase time or does the research.

I would think anyone who has HD, and only has like 4 HD channels, would know they have an Mpeg 2 box.

I'm the type of guy who researched MPEG4 boxes / channels over 2 years ago prior to signing up with Dish. I was told that the 942 was MP4 capable and would just need a software update. 11 days after my install, in a January 2006 charlie chat, they dropped a bomb on me and announced the 622. They said the 942 was NOT MP4 and it would have to be replaced. I'd have to wait until April to get one (when new subs got on Feb. 1) and it would cost me $200 on top of the the $250 I had JUST spent on the 942. I did have to wait until April and suffer through 2 buggy as hell models to be returned. However, I did win the fight on the upgrade fee in which I only had to pay $50 making my total $300 which is what it cost for new subs at that time.

And remember how many people kept insisting that they knew the 942 really would be software upgraded, long after knowledgeable people here posted that it was impossible? And then they wanted an offboard h/w solution?

No offers from DISH yet?

I assume from the lack of replies that no one has received an unsolicited offer from DISH for an upgrade to an MPEG4 DVR to replace their 942? None of my DISH spam mail have contained such an offer yet.

I'm curious to see what the unsolicited offer consists of: something attractive or the same-old same-old $99 trade-in offer on the 942 and a $7/mo lease agreement on the replacement?

Thanks for the information thus far!

my co-worker has a 811 still, he will not be happy that he has to pay a lease fee for a 211 as well as shelling out $25 or $50 extra dollars.

I called to day to check the upgrade promo. I finally found someone that knows about it. I have two 811 receivers, one owned and the other leased. They will send me two leased 211 receivers. I keep my owned 811 and just swap the leased 811.

I also talked to someone from the executive office to make a code so they can just ship the receivers so no service call is required.

Get a call from the exec office to say the programming will be the HD essential pack + (Ultimate free 6 mon.) No extra commitment. But they still can't make a work order yet. They plan to end Mpeg2 HD this August.

Last edited:
i called dish about the upgrade and they knew about it.Called on the 4th and had my new dish and new 722 installed on the 6th by 8:30am,all for free. thank u Dish. By the way I was one of those caveman that still had a 942

I had an 811 and called to upgrade to a 622. It was $100 installed. The guy came to install it and as he was opening the box up I noticed that the receiver was BLACK. I thought maybe he just screwed up so I didn't say anything. Then a few minutes later he said that there aren't many 622's in stock usually so he'll just grab a 722. I'm happy. I love the 722 almost as much as I hated the 811.

I had an 811 and called to upgrade to a 622. It was $100 installed. The guy came to install it and as he was opening the box up I noticed that the receiver was BLACK. I thought maybe he just screwed up so I didn't say anything. Then a few minutes later he said that there aren't many 622's in stock usually so he'll just grab a 722. I'm happy. I love the 722 almost as much as I hated the 811.
Dish no longer manufatcures the 622. All 622's in stock are being used up..We no longer purchase them. It's all 722's now.

Well, the scheduled upgrade from my 942 to a 622 (722?) didn't happen today. Turns out that the three feedhorn single dish antenna will not work this far north (I'm in Oregon), so a second antenna--and mount--were needed to get the 129 slot. I have a nice clean installation where the dish antenna is mounted to a bracket attached to the bottom of the enclosed soffit on our house, and is aimed over the top of the roof so it's not visible from the street (clean--and meets our CC&R's).

So a new soffit mount is on order for the second antenna, and the installation has been rescheduled for next Sunday, Father's Day. Groan. I spent the last two evenings up late dumping programs off of the 942 that I wanted to save off. The CSR I got said that the new setup would only need 110 and 119--which was incorrect. A friend reading the satellite programming guide believed that 129 was also needed, which makes sense.

Last edited:
942owner, was the upgrade a lease or will you own the 622? (722)
I own both the 942 and 622 with both being activated with the HD only pak.

i called dish about the upgrade and they knew about it.Called on the 4th and had my new dish and new 722 installed on the 6th by 8:30am,all for free. thank u Dish. By the way I was one of those caveman that still had a 942

How did you get a 722 for free ? I got a call and was told a 722 would cost me $125. I'm in no hurry my 921 is still running :) I got two phone calls this weekend, both of the people didn't have a clue to what they were talking about.

Ken

The 622 (722?) will be a leased unit to replace my 942. However the CSR said that there would be no additional lease fee (?) so we shall see as the CSR also said that I needed to receive 110 and 119 only :p

Maybe this has already been asked before, I cannot imagine somebody having HD and not having upgraded to mpeg4 at least for the extra channels, especially when they had Voom. I have a whole fricken graveyard, excuse the language, of non mpeg4 HD receivers. I have 6 mpeg2 HD receivers including 2 921s and 2 942s that are basically paperweights. I am very disappointed in the removal of Voom. I own all of my equipment and I have a lot invested. Sorry to keep saying this, but as much as I have invested and as much as I pay them, I sometimes find their actions (screwing me by removing Voom) appalling. If not for a few things Dish has that are not available with any other service I would be with another service that has more HD and slightly better picture quality right away due to how pissed I am about losing Voom. I feel they deserve to get bashed after screwing their customers as much as they have in my opinion. If they did not have those very few yet not insignificant things I cannot get elswhere I would be gone. If I were a man of principle and not addicted to those very few things Dish has that are not available elsewhere I would be gone. If I had any scruples I would downgrade my programming. Who has HD and has not upgraded to mpeg4?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)