Dish to use all of NIMIQ 5!

Until recently 110's 3 transponders were used for 9 or 10 of their national HD MPEG2 channels. They still may be using some of it since they still have some MPEG2 HD that they haven't migrated to MPEG4 at 99/103 yet.

Now what D*'s going to do with those in the future hasn't been made public yet, but they could use them for new international SD channels, using MPEG4 they might get 60 to 80 new channels out there. Since they have the license for the transponders and a satellite there it makes no sense to just give them up. But who knows, they could end up selling the licenses to Echostar if they're willing to pay the right amount of $'s to DirecTV.

DirecTV 5 won't last forever. It is 7 years old, and has been moved once. While some services can be put on those 3 TPs, is it really worth a satellite? At least I would think they could swap some 119 and 110 TPs.

It does not really cost DIRECTV much to use the 3 TPs at 110. They can just put any "spare" satellite there. If they had failures on 101 or 119 they would quickly move the 110 satellite over to cover if needed. It is like Dish was with 148, if they needed the satellites they abandoned the slot.

DirecTV 5 won't last forever. It is 7 years old, and has been moved once. While some services can be put on those 3 TPs, is it really worth a satellite? At least I would think they could swap some 119 and 110 TPs.

Sats are supposed have a 15 year life span so I would hope D5 has a few more years left in it.

What's the upside for Dish to swap 3 TP's at 119 for the three at 110? It doesn't do them anything for gaining bandwidth and causes them some extra work moving things around.

Sometimes they do.:)

I think the business decision by DirectV would be to spend money to keep Dish from increasing its capacity and gaining a competitive advantage.

Miner

Actually, they all do cooperate when they have common interests. A good example is how they have quietly cut some deals to consolidate the new 17 Ghz slots with various filings being dropped to allow some (but not all) consolidations.

17 Ghz Letter

Last edited:
It does not really cost DIRECTV much to use the 3 TPs at 110. They can just put any "spare" satellite there. If they had failures on 101 or 119 they would quickly move the 110 satellite over to cover if needed. It is like Dish was with 148, if they needed the satellites they abandoned the slot.

And if they did move, Dish would be over those spots in a second. FCC has a policy of use it or lose it. Only reason 148 is not in DirecTV's hands is that it isn't all that useful to them.

In 5 or so years when D5 is dead, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Sats are supposed have a 15 year life span so I would hope D5 has a few more years left in it.

What's the upside for Dish to swap 3 TP's at 119 for the three at 110? It doesn't do them anything for gaining bandwidth and causes them some extra work moving things around.

DirecTV 5 has a 12 year design life.

The 1300 is designed to achieve a long useful life, in this case 12 years
Loral-Built Directv 5 Direct-To-Home Satellite Launched Successfully

There would be upside for DirecTV in trading. They would not need a sat at 110. You think they could trade 2 at 119 for the 3 at 110. But I once read DirecTV wanted MORE 119 TPs than they could offer at 110.

There would be upside for DirecTV in trading. They would not need a sat at 110. You think they could trade 2 at 119 for the 3 at 110. But I once read DirecTV wanted MORE 119 TPs than they could offer at 110.

DIRECTV wanted to trade for 5 at 119 for the 3 at 110. They wanted to have both services to be equal in TPs vs current Dish 50, DIRECTV 46. This was many years ago, Dish wanted primary service at 119 since they could hit AK/HI with it, so they did not want to give up that many TPs.

I know this has been asked before, but things may of changed with this new SAT and now with the chance of the Eastern Arch going all Trubo Coded 8PSK MPEG4 . . .

QUESTION:
Is there a Benefit to picking Eastern Arch over Western Arch for new customer installs.

I am on the Des Monies and Omaha Area. Looking at the up link charts our HD Locals are on both Western and Eastern right now.

Eastern is a little hard to get with some installs (like mine).
If I had a choice, does it matter now or will it matter next year or never?

I know this has been asked before, but things may of changed with this new SAT and now with the chance of the Eastern Arch going all Trubo Coded 8PSK MPEG4 . . .

QUESTION:
Is there a Benefit to picking Eastern Arch over Western Arch for new customer installs.

I am on the Des Monies and Omaha Area. Looking at the up link charts our HD Locals are on both Western and Eastern right now.

Eastern is a little hard to get with some installs (like mine).
If I had a choice, does it matter now or will it matter next year or never?

I would ask local dealers/installers, and ask more than one.

At the point where Dish needs more space for local HD channels (which they will need to add all local HD channels by 2013), they might remove the duplicates, and your local guys might have some insight over which would be moved.

Or, you could just install whatever is more convenient today, and count on Dish paying for a free install of the other arc if they removed the duplicates, and you lost your locals.

Not a chance of .... but the service from Nimiq5 will be 8PSK since they will have the service to sustain that type of signal.

At the point where Dish needs more space for local HD channels (which they will need to add all local HD channels by 2013), they might remove the duplicates, and your local guys might have some insight over which would be moved.
The requirement is to have all local channels in all DMA's by 2013. They do not have to be in HD.

Actually, they all do cooperate when they have common interests. A good example is how they have quietly cut some deals to consolidate the new 17 Ghz slots with various filings being dropped to allow some (but not all) consolidations.

17 Ghz Letter

Roger that.

I'm sure it is mutually beneficial to both companies. I could see DirectV paying for slots they weren't using just to keep Dish from using them, and vice versa. Kinda like keeping a really good 2nd string quarterback well paid so he doesn't go to another team.

Miner

In case anyone is so inclined,

NIMIQ 5
1 35873U 09050A 09261.60000000 -.00000087 00000-0 00000+0 0 35
2 35873 012.9660 295.1090 4548841 359.6390 088.0300 01.75731127 22

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)