Dish Vip Dvr lease fee? Gouging?

Dish should be giving a price break to those of us who have bought our equipment. Dish is not subsidizing anything in our case.
Comcast just started giving a "customer-owned equipment" discount to people who own their boxes. I have a TiVo with a CableCARD. The first CableCARD is free and now I'm getting a $5 credit on each statement for owning my receiver. This came surprisingly without any other noticeable increase in fees. It would be nice if Dish would follow suit, since it really has never made sense to charge someone who is leasing a receiver the same monthly fee as someone who owns it.

CubsWin said:
Comcast just started giving a "customer-owned equipment" discount to people who own their boxes. I have a TiVo with a CableCARD. The first CableCARD is free and now I'm getting a $5 credit on each statement for owning my receiver. This came surprisingly without any other noticeable increase in fees. It would be nice if Dish would follow suit, since it really has never made sense to charge someone who is leasing a receiver the same monthly fee as someone who owns it.

That I really like.

I just got a notice from Dish saying they are replacing my 508 due to technology changes and are now going to charge me a DVR fee. Plus, I get nailed with tax too.
I can't image what technology change they need unless they just want to add more security to their hardware. Well, that's not my problem. I paid for this box. It is not leased or rented. My service has not changed since I got it.
Is there a class action suit somewhere I can join.

The 508 cannot decode 8PSK signals. Dish is moving to 8PSK from QPSK in order to better utilize bandwidth.

I just got a notice from Dish saying they are replacing my 508 due to technology changes and are now going to charge me a DVR fee. Plus, I get nailed with tax too.
I can't image what technology change they need unless they just want to add more security to their hardware. Well, that's not my problem. I paid for this box. It is not leased or rented. My service has not changed since I got it.
Is there a class action suit somewhere I can join.

posting the same thing more than once in different threads will basically yield the same answer

If you're really bothered by the 612's $10 fee, you can get the single-tuner 211/211K, but it requires a $40 fee to activate the DVR functionality, and at $7 a month, it would actually take over a year to even save any cash over just getting the 612.

EDIT: I failed to mention the $6 DVR fee for the 612. I was assuming that one already has a dual-tuner receiver on their account, and is just adding more. If that is not the case, it would take about 4.5 months in order to start seeing savings with the 211/211K over the 612.

Sorry, couldn't tell -- if you add an HD to a 211k, do you have to pay $7/mth for the DVR fee in addition to the $40 setup? I thought the 211k was a one-time external HD setup fee (another link here) since you were bringing your own hardware.

Last edited:
I too got the letter from Dish saying they had to replace my 508 and 501's. Does anyone know what receiver they are going to use to replace what I have now? The 501's were replacements for my 2700 Dishplayers, I own the 508. I also have a legacy dish 500 pointed at 110 & 119. Will that have to be changed or not with the replacment receivers? If they do change the dish will it be free. I think that 110 &119 are the only sats that I have a clear line of site to. Lots of tall trees, not all of them mine.

Last edited:
I really think, what would make the fees more palatable across the board (yes, when you think about it - they are all too high, for every provider) but especially satellite.

Simply put, if Comcast rolls out a new cable box, when they are in stock, I can simply swap it out, at no cost / contract.

Satellite companies = its 2 years, automatically. Yes, I am aware that I could buy the box (which, is becoming harder and harder to do with providers moving towards a lease only structure), but yet still pay the same fees that I would leasing it - it's just bad for the end user (great for the provider, no matter who it is).

Paying the fees per month is bad, but again, would be considerably better if they could be upgraded to the newest technology without a contract (or, without a contract and fees - $200 for the right to lease a receiver is ridiculous).

And, before someone jumps on this, with "its new tech, costs more" - I'm aware, however other companies don't have a problem doing it, and assuming 20 a month plus a $200 "allowance to lease", plus whatever cost the contract is worth, is well, well more than the cost of the box.

Just saying (it won't happen) but the model needs to really be changed to be more pro-consumer.

CJPC said:
I really think, what would make the fees more palatable across the board (yes, when you think about it - they are all too high, for every provider) but especially satellite.

Simply put, if Comcast rolls out a new cable box, when they are in stock, I can simply swap it out, at no cost / contract.

Satellite companies = its 2 years, automatically. Yes, I am aware that I could buy the box (which, is becoming harder and harder to do with providers moving towards a lease only structure), but yet still pay the same fees that I would leasing it - it's just bad for the end user (great for the provider, no matter who it is).

Paying the fees per month is bad, but again, would be considerably better if they could be upgraded to the newest technology without a contract (or, without a contract and fees - $200 for the right to lease a receiver is ridiculous).

And, before someone jumps on this, with "its new tech, costs more" - I'm aware, however other companies don't have a problem doing it, and assuming 20 a month plus a $200 "allowance to lease", plus whatever cost the contract is worth, is well, well more than the cost of the box.

Just saying (it won't happen) but the model needs to really be changed to be more pro-consumer.

Awesome post. Your right on the money.

I like that, but I'd also like to see the addition of the equipment being yours at the end of your 2 year agreement. Personally I can't see why we should be paying the extra ad infinitum. Hell, I'm not even happy that there's an extra DVR service fee each month. To me that's like buying a VCR back in the day and paying JVC or whoever an additional $10 a month for being able to record.

CJPC said:

:) I agree. How about a business model like the wireless companies use. This Droid X supposedly retails for $500.00, give or take. By the time we received rebates, "upgrade" pricing, and employee discounts, we paid $50.00 a piece (we bought 2). Sure we have a 24 month commitment but I can live with that, and the phone is mine from day one. One other thing we r also grandfathered into a family plan that is no longer offered (500 any time min), which is perfect for me and my wife.
Any way as conxumers we make choices that have the best fit for our needs...ill stick with dish until it no lonber fits our needs

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

:) I agree. How about a business model like the wireless companies use. This Droid X supposedly retails for $500.00, give or take. By the time we received rebates, "upgrade" pricing, and employee discounts, we paid $50.00 a piece (we bought 2). Sure we have a 24 month commitment but I can live with that, and the phone is mine from day one. One other thing we r also grandfathered into a family plan that is no longer offered (500 any time min), which is perfect for me and my wife.
Any way as conxumers we make choices that have the best fit for our needs...ill stick with dish until it no lonber fits our needs

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

That's another good example. Can you imagine signing up with a phone company only to find a hidden charge each month for using your Voicemail then at the end of your contract they make you pay to send your phone back if you don't renew your contract or choose another carrier?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)