Dish vs Coolsat case

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I love my Coolsat 5000...picked up a 3rd one recently

-easy to setup
-fast blind scan
-works flawlessly with ChannelMaster

:)

Hey DIsh...if you want to get rid of excess CS5000 or 6000 send them my way. :)

The 3rd CS5000 I got recently made scanning C-Band for updates to thelist sooooooooooooo much faster. I love my Pansat 1500 but on TP"s where there is no channel name it hangs for about 2-3 minutes before it logs a "TV2" so some satellites it can take FOREVER to log channels. CS5K logs them within 10 seconds

For FP the unit has to have been "authorized" at some point, whatever that means in terms of flags or registers set in FW. With enough resources/data it could be a fun project since ZK and FP are legally free to air channels.

No. This is incorrect. FP is not FTA. FP in encrypted. It's more than just a matter of flags or registers set in the receiver. The stream is actually encrypted. If you have a device like the skywalker/genpix device which will tune DCII signals you'll see that the FP streams are actually encrypted and must go through the decryption process to be viewed. This is why the skywalker/genpix device was only ever good for ZK DCII as it lacks the ability to decrypt FP signals. A previously authorized DCII receiver has more to it than just "flags or registers set in FW".

When I first started reading this thread I thought I might have to pull all the CS6000's from the orphanages before the federalies showed up.

Now I agree with Ice - SEND ME ALL OF YOUR CONFISCATED BOXES!

Ahh, hadn't noticed that. Might not have offered it up as an example if I had. However, if the price stays the same? A $30 risk? No problem, I'll still do it. This is a hacker doing a one time sell, trying to get what he can recover.

The picture even shows hacker cables pre-attached! :)

thats like the 3 receivers I got the other day for 50 bucks shipped

Coolsat 5000 with old hackerware
Pansat 2500 clone with hackerware
BEC 6600 with who knows what in it. Didn't check it yet

people trying to recoup some money

I would take a slightly dead Coolsat 6000. - :up
One that has failed, where nobody has messed with it too much.
Doing some research, and it'd be my guinea pig. - :cool:

I'd take a 5000 or 6000 even if it has hackware. I can wipe that out in about 25 seconds :)

Interesting the hackware in the 5000 I got when I did a master rest it still didnt clear the channels out. Thank goodness Coolsat has an option to delete all channels in the channel edit
press info and password...poof all channels gone :)

No. This is incorrect. FP is not FTA. FP in encrypted. It's more than just a matter of flags or registers set in the receiver. The stream is actually encrypted. If you have a device like the skywalker/genpix device which will tune DCII signals you'll see that the FP streams are actually encrypted and must go through the decryption process to be viewed. This is why the skywalker/genpix device was only ever good for ZK DCII as it lacks the ability to decrypt FP signals. A previously authorized DCII receiver has more to it than just "flags or registers set in FW".
AHHHH.....I've never found much info on how that part works. Sound like you a guy that has answers to my qustions. So authorization is a one time event, or it would seem since once authorized always authorized, and a step in the process of authorizing, public, fixed, static, common, whatever to call them keys are written to every IRD. Presumably new, unauthorized IRDs do not possess these keys)

Subscribed units require periodic (monthly) loading of decryption keys in addition to the existing an static authorization keys? (plus tier bits, but not relevant to this scope)

In subscription mode are both keysets used?

In FP mode the info data for that channel carries some indication that the secondary (suscription) key processing is unnecessary for that specific channel?

I'd appreciate any explanation you may have on the specifics. What doesnt soak in at first eventually will after I read it a few times. I'm not quite as smart as Yogi Bear, but close......lol
It is interesting that FP is considered free yet does have some fundamental encryption. Somewhat of a paradox.

I have a Nova-S Plus that is supposed to support (free) DCII with the proper software. I had an idea sometime back to try to use as a means to scan for ZK and FP signals since the 922 is pretty cumbersome for that. The PC need not display the video or play the audio, just ID and log those channels that any authorized DCII IRD can receive. Sound plausable?

Mel, google "DES" , digital encryption standard, for more info on the VC2 scrambling system. It is/was a military encryption standard algorithm the system used. I did have an article or book on it someplace, but after looking for it when I read your post, I can't seem to find it, lol. Short version of it-each descramber had a "key" unique to it, the control center for the system had each authorized key, and what level of programming it was authorized for , etc. The 'key' to unlock that programming went out as a cipher, over the satellite, and the user's board then could decrypt the cipher and read the key. It was neat technology, and I'm sure the DC2 system is similar.

I can't get in trouble for buying a coolsat can I?
I think I erased the pirate stuff out of it, it had a menu option that was something about autoroll on dish and bell. I put a file on it from the coolsat site before it went bye bye and that option is gone.

How can I be really sure it's gone? Can I short it out or something?
Or should I get rid of it? I don't want to get sued or in trouble, I just bought it to watch FTA tv.

I can't get in trouble for buying a coolsat can I?
nope you cant get in trouble. Lots of us have Coolsats (I have 4)

I think I erased the pirate stuff out of it, it had a menu option that was something about autoroll on dish and bell. I put a file on it from the coolsat site before it went bye bye and that option is gone.

How can I be really sure it's gone? Can I short it out or something?
its gone. If you flashed factory on it you're OK.....honestly even if you have old hackware in it you can't get anything you shouldnt ;)

Or should I get rid of it? I don't want to get sued or in trouble, I just bought it to watch FTA tv.

you'll be fine

nope you cant get in trouble. Lots of us have Coolsats (I have 4)

its gone. If you flashed factory on it you're OK.....honestly even if you have old hackware in it you can't get anything you shouldnt ;)

you'll be fine

Whew! Thank you! I trust your advice... :)

Dee

I have 3 Coolsat 5000's and a 8000 (HD model). The only one of the 5000's that DIDNT have hackware in it was the one I bought when they first came out :)

The last one I got had ancient (from their standpoint) hackware. Version 1.56 it showed (the "newest" (according to reports from the sewer) was 2.04

Flashed it back to factory firmware and bye bye hackware and menus :D

Dee

I have 3 Coolsat 5000's and a 8000 (HD model). The only one of the 5000's that DIDNT have hackware in it was the one I bought when they first came out :)

The last one I got had ancient (from their standpoint) hackware. Version 1.56 it showed (the "newest" (according to reports from the sewer) was 2.04

Flashed it back to factory firmware and bye bye hackware and menus :D

oh ok, well thank you! :) I feel much relieved now. I saw this lawsuit thing and it freaked me out. I didn't know these things could even do that but I guess people will always find a way to do illegal stuff. I just don't want to be a part of it.

fline1.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)