dish vs direct

dlh1435

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
can anyone tell me which is better?dish or directv on pricing and equipment and thing else can someome tell me.

There are tons of posts already on this site without having to reinvent the rhetoric. Do a search for the info and you will get more than you could ever imagine:p

Don't listen to these guys.

I will give you the straight answer.

Dish Network is better, choose that one and you'll have a ton of fun here at the forum. If you get DirectTV, then you just get to watch TV and what fun is that?

So answer again, Dish Network.

supporting data is scattered in various threads on this site.

But Cyclone- DirecTV makes bigger promises on things to come than what Dish has today.. That is real important to lots of people. :D

But doesn't Directv have more HD channels? I think I saw a commerical where Sigourney Weaver and Charlie Sheen are saying that... ;-P

PS If you love the visual eye-candy of HD programming, then I have one word for you:

VOOM

get what your neighbors have. that way when you are over there or they are over here, you will both be able to understand the tv.

plus you won't get into arguments over which is better.

if you don't have neighbors that watch tv then...

Dish = movies
direct = sports

It's an over simplified way to look at things but it still holds true. At least for this year.

Just read Scott's Blog and he fell for the hype ads. Yes, I am surprised but his reasons are a bit deductive in nature.

He addresses who is the leader and claims that DirecTV is because others are playing catchup.

My take on this:

Have to disagree about DirecTV being considered a leader at this time. Boasting of what may happen in the unspecified future is not considered responsible advertising. It only plays to those who typically fall for ads like this. There was a time when DirecTV was a leader but when that slipped to second place based on what subscribers could get in the present, they resorted to future boasting. Not only is DishNetwork continuing to add HD programming as they are able, they never followed the leader of future boasting with like ads that claimed we'll have 151 channels so there! Obviously a childish game. DishNetwork has maintained a steady record of adding new HD channels throughout the DirecTV ad campaign. Scott probably forgot the other channels that were added while DirecTV continued it's future boasting campaign such as Starz MAX HD NGHD etc, Ergan wasn't just sitting back with a wait and see as Scott claimed. He was continuing to provide a good selection of new HD channels that were ready for prime time! It is pure speculation as to why they did this, but my guess is they actually support HDTV. Did the DirecTV ads work? Obviously they did. Even Scott believes in future claims vs. what's real today. If Scott and others wish to see DirecTV at the top of the list of HDTV providers, Let's visit this "race" again when DirecTV actually does have more HDTV channels than DishNetwork. But right now, its DirecTV who's playing catch-up, not the other way around. Scotts Blog is quite wrong.

Boasting of what may happen in the unspecified future is not considered responsible advertising

Yep, then your Russian rocket blows up and destroys the satellite you were planning to launch into space..

Sheesh, what a business plan. I sure wouldn't want to answer to my shareholders that our HD plans were delayed because a rocket launched in Siberia was carrying all our hopes & dreams... ;)

I see where Carey at D* said that it will take a couple of months for 20 or 30 national hd to get online. Is he just now notice that there are not as many national hd out there???? Wow. Another empty promise!!!! I wonder how many hd will they really have in December??

Yeah well either way I think Dish will still be the HD Leader by end of the year due to Direct got allot of catching up to do. :)

Dish is for now

I was with DirecTV for ten years and tired of their "yesterday's technology, tomorrow" promisses. That's $12,000.00 I paid them for programming alone. I paid for all my own equipment and did all my own installs. It takes some real idiots to run off customers like me.

I switched to ATTDish Homezone HD. DirecTV has lot of work to do to catch up making Dish the more likely leader for the forseeable future.

Homezone has NOW what DirecTV says they will, might, maybe, possibly, or maybe not have by the end of the year, next year, the year after that, or never. Plus, DirecTV's once stellar customer support now sucks!

Lol, this is kind of like asking which is better, PC or MACs, in an Apple or PC forum.

Did you post this same question in the Directv forum:)?

Seriously, you are just going to have to muddle through the postings in both camps and see what the users of each are saying. Both sides will have compliments as well as gripes about their equipment/service/programming/costs/etc., so it's not a clear-cut choice. Directv has some programming I like that Dish doesn't, and vice versa. You could always go with whoever offers the best all-round deal, and there are some great deals out there for first time customers, so check with both before committing to one. You should be able to get free equipment, installation, and maybe even some free programming for X number of months, so don't jump at the first offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts