Dish VS Univision/Galavision/Telefutura

It is OFFICIAL, I just got a call from Dish's PR deparment.

Dish Network has reached a long term deal with Univision / Galavision and Telafutura to keep those channels on Dish Network! This deal includes both the national feeds and local feeds. No additional details were given.

I am told by Dish that Univision will be the ones issueing a press release about this deal sometime today.

or Univision to let it happen. I think both companies were guilty and should've come to an agreement long time ago.

I have to disagree. Neither company was guilty of anything. The stations weren't pulled. They just held out on negiotations to try and get the best deal possible. Nothing wrong with that. If the channels had been pulled, then guilt assignment would be called for.

DISH NETWORK® REACHES AGREEMENT TO DELIVER UNIVISION, TELEFUTURA AND GALAVISION
TO DISH NETWORK CUSTOMERS

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and NEW YORK, April 1, 2009 -- DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), a leading distributor of Spanish-language programming in the United States, today announced a multi-year agreement with Univision Communications Inc., the premier Spanish-language media company in the United States. The agreement includes carriage of Univision's owned and operated broadcast stations, and distribution of Univision, TeleFutura and Galavisión network feeds.

“For more than a decade, DISH Network has been dedicated to providing the best Latino programming at the lowest possible prices,” said Charlie Ergen, Chairman, CEO and President of DISH Network. “This new agreement with Univision demonstrates our continued commitment to the Latino community by delivering some of the highest quality Spanish-language programming available anywhere.”

"We look forward to this long-term partnership with DISH Network," said Joe Uva, CEO of Univision Communications Inc. "We would both like to thank our viewers and DISH Network customers for their patience and support during the negotiations."

The terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Me too.

Face it, when you drink the Dish Kool-Aid you agree to consider any station Charlie deems too expensive to be not worth watching.

Again, despite the claims of "erronaeous analogy", no seems to be willing to consider the concept:

So should Dish simply pay any price that a major channels asks?

If Univision wants $100 per subscriber, should Dish simply quote the Satellite Guys:

It's a big channel we cannot afford to lose, so we should just pay it.

Dish has no leverage other than to threaten to remove the channel.

It is analogous to a car dealer - your only way to exercise any leverage over the price is to first express interest, and then start walking away...

If E* had lost all theses channels that would be closed to almost half their subs jumping ship, and that would of been suicide.

Half their subs? Really? 7,000,000 subscribers would have canceled due to the loss of Univision channels? Is that just a little alarmist? How did Dish ever start business before they added these channels?

See ya
Tony

I have already switched because of GolTV

I actually hope they remove Univision, Telefutura and Galavision just to see how may Latino customers drop this Mickey Mouse provider (Dish Network).

I will be switching to Directv if this happens.

Well I have already switched because of GolTV being pulled. Dish cannot be dropping channels that Direct TV keeps or they will lose many more viewers.

Dish used to be the programming of choice for Latino channels but Direct Tv has caught up with them and is in the process of surpassing them.

It is ridiculous that they are in court for $70k. They have lost $1200 (I subscribe to everything) a year on me alone because they dropped GolTV.

Last edited:
Half their subs? Really? 7,000,000 subscribers would have canceled due to the loss of Univision channels? Is that just a little alarmist? How did Dish ever start business before they added these channels?

See ya
Tony

I was a Dish customer since their first year and believe me that about half of their early subscribers were because of their International programming. I live in California and Latino people either had Cable or Dish, no Directv. However lately I have seen a big push by Directv to attract Latino subscribers and it is actually working. Directv is actually offering an attractive Latino package. People still underestimate the size and influence of the Latino community (see last presidential election). It would have been suicide for Dish to pull those three channels even for a couple days. Latinos are not very forgiving and they will think that if it was pulled once it can get pulled again in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)