DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

I have to eat my words on this one. Someone posted you better get your AMC deal from Dish before the Weekend is over, and I laughed not thinking in anyway a deal would be done over this weekend. WRONG! I also would have never thought FUSE would be back.

The $500M Dish settled with TiVo included $300M it reserved for the lawsuit, and $30M a year for the following 7 years to license TiVo's patents.

A $500M loss is is still a loss.

This is factually incorrect. Anything autohop related stayed with the NY court. The claims the networks made about PTAT (not covered in Dish's autohop filing) were split off and those will be heard in CA.

Your are Wrong.

Dish loses bid to keep all of TV ad case in New York court

Dish Network Corp has lost its bid to have its entire dispute with the four major broadcast networks over an ad-skipping feature heard in a New York court, rather than in Los Angeles as the networks preferred.

With billions of dollars of advertising revenue at stake, U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain in Manhattan granted a motion by News Corp's Fox network to dismiss Dish's copyright and contract claims in her court over the "Auto Hop" feature, saying they should be addressed in Los Angeles.

Swain also dismissed Dish's copyright claims in her court against CBS Corp's CBS and Comcast Corp's NBC, saying they too belong in California.

$700M cash including Dish getting some wireless licenses cover 45 DMAs. It is fair to say the VOOM's star attorney is crap crap crap crap, at least as far as Mr.4069 is concerned.

That's a lot more than $200M. Closer to the $1B I predicted. Its good they settled though.

One thing for sure is the $700 million is coming from somewhere, and it sure aint Charlie's pocket. Im sure we will start seeing the effects of this come Febuary 1st when their price freeze ends and they raise everyones rates.

Dish had amassed $5.6B through debt offerings, among other things over spring/summer.

Perhaps now you can now Troll-Away to a land where Dish really does beat Tivo, Dish also beats Voom, and your beloved leader does no wrong.

This is good news for both parties, who are both happy with the settlement! Now, if you wish to now somehow spin this good news in a major win for Dish...go right ahead and keep yourself entertained.

Give the guy a break, he can't help being wrong (;)). $700M is a long way off from $200M, so the better analysts were a hell of a lot closer.

The good news is, we all got what we wanted. The subscriber got free Roku's and credits, Cablevision got $700M and a long-term agreement to carry AMC, etc, and Dish got the MVDDS and the subscriber off their back.

What does the wireless spectrum hold for the future? I was wondering what that means for dish

Its $80 million for the purchase of Cablevision’s multichannel video and data distribution service (MVDDS - 12.2-12.7 GHz range) licenses in 45 metropolitan areas in the U.S. Dish has the wireless bug and wants that triple-threat (data, video, voice). At some point Dish was affiliated with South.com which holds 37 licenses, I am not sure if they are still affiliated, but if they are, with the 45 licenses from Cablevision, they'd hold the majority of the 214 licenses.

Of course its back on now, after I just spent $43 the other day subscribing to season 3 of The Walking Dead on iTunes. Seriously, I'm pissed, I would have never paid for that if this mess hadn't happened. Someone owes me $43.

You did not have to buy the whole season to watch it. That was your choice. Dish gave credits to what seems like anyone who asked to get the episodes.

LOL They've got to re-coup that money some how... got to love that corporate greed. Especially the way this whole ordeal has gone.

This is far from the first time that Dish has given away credits for a channel being lost. I will admit that it's the first time that I can recall they gave away free hardware for it but let's be honest here, a Roku isn't really that expensive especially to Dish when they probably got a discount for buying a few thousand (or a few hundred thousand) in bulk to give to subscribers. In all of their previous times where they lost a channel, gave credits etc. away they did not take back those credits. So I very much doubt that would happen here. Will there be a price increase because of this settlement? Quite possibly, although let's be honest in that we all expected some kind of increase come February of next year. It may be higher than what it may have been otherwise but really there's no way for us to know for sure.

Anyone try setting an auto-tune/record timer on TWD for tonight? I can't get one to set.

Edit

Never mind, I tried a DVR once setting and it wasn't working. I just looked in the daily schedule and its now showing up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Its $80 million for the purchase of Cablevision’s multichannel video and data distribution service (MVDDS - 12.2-12.7 GHz range) licenses in 45 metropolitan areas in the U.S. Dish has the wireless bug and wants that triple-threat (data, video, voice). At some point Dish was affiliated with South.com which holds 37 licenses, I am not sure if they are still affiliated, but if they are, with the 45 licenses from Cablevision, they'd hold the majority of the 214 licenses.

DISH got a great deal on the spectrum. Verizon just purchase 50 other licenses from Cablevision for $750 million.

BEDMINSTER, N.J., May 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless service provider, today announced it has completed the acquisition of 50 PCS licenses and related network assets from Northcoast Communications LLC, for approximately $750 million in cash. The proceeds, net of payments to the FCC, will be distributed to Northcoast's partners, which are comprised of Northcoast PCS and a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC). Cablevision's portion of the proceeds will be used to reduce the company's debt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)