DISH we lost our OK CBS but give us the OTA programming guide info!!

Q: Why is the retransmission consent requirement included in the law?

A: Since 1934, broadcast stations that use the programming of other broadcast stations have been required to obtain the prior consent of the originating station. This requirement was made applicable to cable systems because the absence of this requirement was distorting the video marketplace and threatening the future of over-the-air television broadcasting. This law treats broadcasters the same as other programming services carried by cable systems.

Q: What happens if my cable operator and a particular station do not reach a retransmission consent agreement?

A: Until the cable operator and the television station reach an agreement, the cable operator is prohibited from carrying that station's signal. Once an agreement is reached, the station can be put back on the cable system immediately. In addition, every three years broadcast stations must decide whether to demand carriage on local cable systems without receiving compensation or elect to negotiate a retransmission consent agreement. The initial election between must-carry or retransmission consent was made on June 17, 1993 and was effective on October 6, 1993. All subsequent elections occur every three years.

Q: What can the FCC do if a broadcaster and a cable operator fail to reach a retransmission consent agreement?

A: Generally, the FCC is not authorized to participate in discussions between television stations and cable systems regarding retransmission consent agreements.

Q: Should I expect more changes in the programming on my cable system in the future?

A: Yes, the law provides that once every three years broadcast stations may elect between must-carry and retransmission consent. Fortunately, most broadcasters and cable operators agree that the least amount of change possible is the best, for both themselves and the subscribers. To the extent possible, it is anticipated that cable systems will keep changes to a minimum while they comply with any changes in election by broadcasters. The FCC's rules require cable operators to notify subscribers 30 days prior to any change in the broadcast stations they carry, or the channel number of the stations they carry. Thus, your cable operator should keep you informed about any changes that will affect your cable service.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Anyone know or want to guess what percentage of DISH customers can get OK and Tulsa Locals by means of OTA ?

Anyone know or want to guess what percentage of DISH customers can get OK and Tulsa Locals by means of OTA ?
I'm not sure about News 6 out of Tulsa, but news 9 out of OKC is not that hard to pick up even with an indoor antenna 40-50 miles away up north. Im pretty sure they are a directional signal so who knows. 9 and 6 cover about roughly 80% of all CBS in Oklahoma. South eastern and South western OK get CBS from TX affiliates.

Do you mean all dish customers or just ones within the DMA? Because the majority of Dish customers could not care any less.

Do you mean all dish customers or just ones within the DMA? Because the majority of Dish customers could not care any less.
2 threads and 15 pages for 2 small markets really is not all that bad. The madness behind this is they Own Oklahoma CBS. California or Texas would not allow just 1 company to own every single CBS in their state. Our entire state who are DIsh subs lost CBS Jan 1st and just because of weather ratings we sort of got it back temporarily.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
2 threads and 15 pages for 2 small markets really is not all that bad. The madness behind this is they Own Oklahoma CBS. California or Texas would not allow just 1 company to own every single CBS in their state. Our entire state who are DIsh subs lost CBS Jan 1st and just because of weather ratings we sort of got it back temporarily.

Not entire State. KXII is the CBS affiliate for Ada/Sherman

Yes i was asking just how many within the OKC DMA. Just dreaming, If Dish is able to make the locals an option. Would it be possible to build a dongle that would do two OTA tuners plus pull the guide data out of the ota feed and show up in the Dish guide. If most of the customers inside the DMA could do this it would put the griffins in a bind. Like i said just dreaming.

You realize Dish has had this ability for years ? The Hopper has only had a single OTA tuner but a dual is supposed to be on the way.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

You realize Dish has had this ability for years ? The Hopper has only had a single OTA tuner but a dual is supposed to be on the way.

Kind of, to ME the important part is getting the GUIDE info off this data so it shows. Now i got the Channels without the guide. Like i said "kid getting a new car and you keeping the keys".

They do pull the data from the OTA signal, but for reasons unknown to us, only use part of it. Their 'system' that processes the OTA stuff is woefully out of date in reference to the currently available channels, networks, etc.

Reactions: D. Manley
Kind of, to ME the important part is getting the GUIDE info off this data so it shows. Now i got the Channels without the guide. Like i said "kid getting a new car and you keeping the keys".
Not a good analogy. You can still view and record the OTA signal, it's just a pain to set up the recordings/select what you want to watch. I'd compare it more to a "kid getting a new car and there's no power anything (steering, brakes, windows, locks), no cruise control, and no radio."

Reactions: dare2be
One step closer to cutting the cord if you go with TiVo and drop your Dish locals. You might as well get a Wally for the few satellite shows you watch and turn the receiver into a Dvr for $40.00. Then no monthly fees.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I already have a couple of HD TiVos and just bought a refurb Roamio OTA for $259 (4 OTA Tuners + lifetime service).

Just about ready to drop locals.

Scott provided a more detailed explanation during the Tribune dispute. Apparently, Dish has a blanket agreement with Gracenote (Tribune) for the guide data for the local stations that Dish carries on satellite, and in the case of the missing Tribune stations, Dish did indeed make an agreement to pay extra for that OTA guide data during the dispute. Remember that Dish was still actively negotiating with Tribune at the time, and Dish was still negotiating with Tribune during the potential Raycom dispute that I mentioned in another thread. (That was another potential dispute when Dish uplinked separate guide data streams for the OTA stations, but the satellite-delivered channels were not removed in that case.) Dish is now no longer actively negotiating with Tribune, which may explain why Dish did not do the same thing this time.
So it boils down to what I had suspected all along: MONEY!

I already have a couple of HD TiVos and just bought a refurb Roamio OTA for $259 (4 OTA Tuners + lifetime service).Just about ready to drop locals.

Do you mind sharing where you got the Refurb @?​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)