Dish-Well, no new HD, see ya

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why can't some people just look at facts instead of emotion? Crap statement at the end? My own unique circumstance? There's nothing unique about the lack of HD content on Dish. There is nothing unique about OTA broadcasts - they're relatively consistent in terms of bitrate. There is something unique about alternatives with respect to cable in my area. I said so.

Sounds like you're a little sensitive about data.

I didn't attack a previous poster.
NightRyder said:
You attack a previous poster, use your own unique circumstance to try to rebut his statement, then try to squirm away from that rebuttal by throwing that crap statement at the end? Complete BS!

Why can't some people be happy with their choice and just move on?

NightRyder

wmhjr said:
I didn't attack a previous poster.

Please accept my apology then. I guess the phrase "You're Smoking Crack" was meant in a positive way. :rolleyes:

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
I have no positive or negative emotional attachment to any service provider. Everyone needs to choose what works best for them.

NightRyder

I agree with that statement completely. I just get tired of looking in every post and seeing wmjhr bash *E in all of them. I mean c'mon dude. So you don't like *E, we've been seeing your endless rants bashing them for months now. We're glad your happy with cable. Now how bout you move on and do something else that might provide value to someone.

p.s. I'm no *E whore, but it does serve my needs and is the best option I have in my situation.

Sorry

I personally wish that prior to me investing yet more money into dish for the 921, more people had been open and honest so I could have made a more educated decision. I did get some good feedback here. Unfortunately, I believed too many people who were "OK with the problems" and thought they would be far more minor.

E* IS the best option for some people - no doubt. For the record, I'll say it yet again - the 5xx series of DVR is a great value! I loved mine. Had three of them. Even with the glitches they had, they were great. The problem is that Dish is in decline. If people just "accept it" like cattle, you'll be left with nothing but manure.

BTW, for somebody who's not an *E "whore" (your words) you sure seem defensive.

ocaddict said:
I agree with that statement completely. I just get tired of looking in every post and seeing wmjhr bash *E in all of them. I mean c'mon dude. So you don't like *E, we've been seeing your endless rants bashing them for months now. We're glad your happy with cable. Now how bout you move on and do something else that might provide value to someone.

p.s. I'm no *E whore, but it does serve my needs and is the best option I have in my situation.

wmhjr said:
BTW, for somebody who's not an *E "whore" (your words) you sure seem defensive.

I'm not defensive, just tired of hearing your rants. Move on already sheesh. I'll be the first to admit *E isn't perfect. But who the hell is? If we should be pissed at anyone, it should be the entire Television Enternainment industry. HD was intro'd EONs ago and still we are clamoring for good HD content and more channels? It's annoying. Still, I try to enjoy what I have, because it's beats the hell of what we had 10yrs ago.

Sorry, but no

No ranting. Just will continue to at least try and dispell not entirely correct info. There ought to be at least some sort of balanced picture. All I see lately is that when people don't agree with some Dish proponents, they get trashed. Not looking for perfection, and will be the first to say that there are things about my DVRs that I don't like. But, at least being completely unreliable isn't one of them. That's far less than perfection. Between that, and some other things, I think Dish has dropped to way below acceptable. You don't even want to know about the latest Dish saga - trying to actually GET the refund for my purchase price of the 921 that I returned (and they signed for) QUITE a while ago. But, I won't go into it here since it won't fit your model. BTW, I'm quite happy getting networks in HD - which I think are good HD content.

ocaddict said:
I'm not defensive, just tired of hearing your rants. Move on already sheesh. I'll be the first to admit *E isn't perfect. But who the hell is? If we should be pissed at anyone, it should be the entire Television Enternainment industry. HD was intro'd EONs ago and still we are clamoring for good HD content and more channels? It's annoying. Still, I try to enjoy what I have, because it's beats the hell of what we had 10yrs ago.

I agree what DISH is doing right now is NOT good at all. There lack of HD is understandable to a degree as if they don't have the bandwidth they SHOULDN'T add more. The problem is, they figure they have a large enough customer base. The problem is DISH is a business, and customers demand something, the majority of people don't have hdtv and DISH seems to be focused on more content for a bargain which isn't necessarily good, I would maybe compare dish in the tv business to t-mobile of the cellular industry, cheap, lots of features, and horrible service. Don't get me wrong watching DISH on my regular tv is fine but on my plasma display it's unacceptable, the overcompression is rediculous, their tech support is a joke imo, and there plans for no future HD is unexcusable (either tell us your adding it or your not, don't just say not yet), and last of all there decision to screw the small ammount of HD customers they have by converting everything to MPEG-4 and still releasing new receivers that are only MPEG-2. I probably won't switch because I don't want to go through the hassle but just my 2 cents.

wmhjr said:
But, at least being completely unreliable isn't one of them.

Funny. I have had the 301, 508, 721 and now 921 receivers. None of which have ever been unreliable. In fact. They all kicked ass.

Good for you.

I guess you don't give a crap about anyone else then.

ocaddict said:
Funny. I have had the 301, 508, 721 and now 921 receivers. None of which have ever been unreliable. In fact. They all kicked ass.

Going back to cable never!!!!!!!

Good luck going back to cable, the downside channels 2-99 on digital are still in crappy analog, I think id stick to ota digital before resorting to that

dodge said:
Good luck going back to cable, the downside channels 2-99 on digital are still in crappy analog, I think id stick to ota digital before resorting to that

Nope, all the SD analog channels are also in the digital spectrum now, like Disney is on analog #57, it is also digital #136, and the rest of the analog channels also, including SD networks ( and all the networks in HD also ).

After a week now, I am just amazed at how much the picture ( SD and HD ) is better then E*.

Bruce?

Where the heck do you live that all SD is also beign broadcast as digital?

most of comcast's areas are going to digital retrans. this is to combat most of the analog troubles customers have with the regular basic channels. it is also a way to get customers used to using a cable box or cable card, an added incentive to charge you a monthly fee for its rental.

personally, i have both cable tv AND E*. although getting the high monthly bill doesnt appeal too much to me, the entertainment value is my plus. I've had cable first, once I purchased my HDTV monitor I've dedicated myself to cable with everything, upgraded to the max. then the nba season started...oh no. TNT-HD telecasts all games in HD. I had to get E* for a single channel, so for them...AT60+HD pak no commits because I was a previous sub.

techdood said:
most of comcast's areas are going to digital retrans. this is to combat most of the analog troubles customers have with the regular basic channels. it is also a way to get customers used to using a cable box or cable card, an added incentive to charge you a monthly fee for its rental.

personally, i have both cable tv AND E*. although getting the high monthly bill doesnt appeal too much to me, the entertainment value is my plus. I've had cable first, once I purchased my HDTV monitor I've dedicated myself to cable with everything, upgraded to the max. then the nba season started...oh no. TNT-HD telecasts all games in HD. I had to get E* for a single channel, so for them...AT60+HD pak no commits because I was a previous sub.

Did you know that that you drop the AT 60 & go to HD pack only? $9.99 & $5 fee for no AT package. Are their any channels in AT 60 that your local cable doesn't carry?

great! thanks for the 'heads up.' i will consider downgrading because the cable boxes are used more frequently and i choose to only have 1 HD terminal for e*.

See, it's ppl like you who make other people see things that they'd otherwise overlook. Everyone here who feels to speak up their minds and post intelligent replies to those who do the same should pat their backs right now. Have a beautiful day and upcoming weekend. I know I WILL now.

TWC in Memphis is also broadcasting the analog channels in digital. But the digital looked worse than the analog signal. I think they are just broadcasting the analog signal over the digital (channel 100 and up) channels.

I lasted a month before going back to D*.

I getting Comcast installed this weekend and dumping E* too. I'm tired of the crappy PQ, the HD pixelation, the fact that I was stupid enough to pay $1000 for a 921 that will soon be almost useless, the list goes on. I'll get the $25.00 discount for 16 months. Hopefully by then either D*, E* or V* will get their act together and decide what they're going to do. No more buying receivers for me, I'm leasing from now on. I've just had enough.

ocaddict said:
You are smoking some serious crack dude.

And why do you say that......dude.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts