Dish-Well, no new HD, see ya

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Because Dish HD is so much better than Voom, that's why. Voom has improved lately, but it still pales in comparison to HDNET.

Some people just can't believe that a cable company can provide a quality product. A good analog picture can beat the pants of the over compress SD channels that D* , V* and E* broadcast.

rad said:
Some people just can't believe that a cable company can provide a quality product. A good analog picture can beat the pants of the over compress SD channels that D* , V* and E* broadcast.

Well, I could not believe it either, I switched because of more HD and a great lease plan for the HD-DVR, I never thought the picture would be that much better, ( well I thought HD would be about the same, SD did make me wonder) both for SD and HD, the analog channels are being moved to the digital spectrum, done by March 3rd here.

Last thing, I thought I would miss the HD-Nets a lot more, but I really like the InHD channels, one thing to look forward on InHD, MLB games in HD all summer long.

DarrellP said:
Because Dish HD is so much better than Voom, that's why. Voom has improved lately, but it still pales in comparison to HDNET.

Ummm, did you post in the wrong thread Darrell P, what does Voom have to do with Comcast/E* ?

bruce said:
Ummm, did you post in the wrong thread Darrell P, what does Voom have to do with Comcast/E* ?

bruce said:
After a week now, I am just amazed at how much the picture ( SD and HD ) is better then E*.

Now do you remember? You said that on the last page.

Regarding Analog vs Digital SD, I will watch OTA Analog over a subchannel digital SD anyday. Our local NBC broadcasts the Jail Blazers on 2 digital channels and they both suck big time, I have to watch the analog channel.

FWIW, the Japanese HD system is Analog at 800 lines resolution. The US almost adopted that, but digital compression came along before the standards were ironed out.

bruce said:
And why do you say that......dude.

Ok, first off. HD PQ on cable is NOT any better than it is on *E. I don't think anyone else here would dispute that. I mean, that is pretty much just impossible. Also, I've seen cable PQ on a widescreen TV on both Time Warner Cable and Comcast Cable vs. *E and in both instances it was worth than the native digital output from *E or even *D for that matter. I'm sure some areas are better than others but I haven't seen it. But hey, in the end, if it suits you better, and you are happy. Then I'm happy for ya.

DarrellP said:
Sorry Bruce, I must be smoking crack, I just realized you were talking about cable.

No worries mate.

ocaddict said:
Ok, first off. HD PQ on cable is NOT any better than it is on *E. I don't think anyone else here would dispute that. I mean, that is pretty much just impossible. Also, I've seen cable PQ on a widescreen TV on both Time Warner Cable and Comcast Cable vs. *E and in both instances it was worth than the native digital output from *E or even *D for that matter. I'm sure some areas are better than others but I haven't seen it. But hey, in the end, if it suits you better, and you are happy. Then I'm happy for ya.

Go talk to Ken H at AVS, he is the main mod there for HDTV, he also lives in the Metro Detroit area as I do, he has reported over and over, whatever Comcast gets here from the main feeds, they send out, no compression for HD at all, just because you have not seen it does not mean it is untrue.You are right, every area is different, but here, it is great, which is what I am basing the SD/HD picture on.
I have had E* since 1999, so I think I know what the picture looks like on it, soft on SD, great on HD, now with Comcast, it is sharper with SD and a little better on HD.
All my displays have been ISF'ed, so I am not just off the bus as far as picture quality goes....dude.

Impossible OCaddict? You are WRONG! It most certainly is possible and is real!

Here in NJ the local cable companies are still using analog for the bulk of the channels and they look awful (Weather Channel has ghosting). I keep hearing rumors that Cablevision is going to sell its wired assets to Time Warner or Comcast. I couldn't be happier... then finally they may upgrade things here in Central NJ and make Cable at least a competitor again in my area quality wise (I'd love to be able to get an HD PVR if the hard disk was large enough (I've got about 6 hours of HD programs and 80 hours of SD programming recorded).

C'MON E* gimme some more HD... I can't believe I'm actually considering going back.....

No clear leader in HD

In my area there is no clear leader in HD at the present. E* and D* are essentially equal with E* having TNT HD and D* having Universal HD. The distant HD nets of D* appear to be available to subscribers in O&O DMA's. VOOM has a lot of HD, but they do not have HDNET, HDNET Movies, INHD, or many of the essential SD stations. If I switched to my local Comcast cable, I would lose HDNET, HDNET movies, TNT HD, WB HD, UPN HD, and TBS HD and gain INHD1, INHD2, and STARZ HD.

Since I invested in a very good OTA system which picks up all of the Atlanta HD stations perfectly except for CBS and PBS that are presently low powered and I am eligible for the E* CBS HD feed (over 60 miles away), I am as well off staying with E*. If I was starting into HD today, I would go with Comcast and not spend the money and effort to erect a good antenna system.

Right now it appears that the HD customers of E* and D* are in limbo until they offer MPEG-4 capable HD DVR's. If the 942 appears to be relatively stable when it is introduced, I might sell my 6000 and apply the $250 for the initial lease fee on the 942. It appears that most HD customers are better off waiting for 6 or 9 months until a real HD leader emerges and then jump (if the new leader is not who we are with).

bruce said:
Go talk to Ken H at AVS, he is the main mod there for HDTV, he also lives in the Metro Detroit area as I do, he has reported over and over, whatever Comcast gets here from the main feeds, they send out, no compression for HD at all, just because you have not seen it does not mean it is untrue.You are right, every area is different, but here, it is great, which is what I am basing the SD/HD picture on.
I have had E* since 1999, so I think I know what the picture looks like on it, soft on SD, great on HD, now with Comcast, it is sharper with SD and a little better on HD.
All my displays have been ISF'ed, so I am not just off the bus as far as picture quality goes....dude.

Bruce, you are right, however, you are fortunate to live in area of influence by a certain senior engineer John Stennis (if I recall right). Stennis is one of the proverbial jedi engineers that comcast happened to pull to the "dark side" and work for the empire many years ago. He's rock solid in know how and I am pretty sure he's one of those special people that happened to push your comcast above the call.
The point though is that your area is by far the exception, half the time comcast doesn't give a damn about quality, but that area just happened hire a few gunslingers engineers who know their sh*t backwards and forwards. The vast majority of cable areas lag behind in pq and service compared to satellite. I will, however, not dispute your claim about the detroit area. PS just remember your the exception and not the rule.

Not just Comcast in Detroit

In SW PA, Adelphia HD is certainly at least equal if not a bit better than E* most certainly. Of course, you can really only compare on a few channels because there isn't much there on E*. In fact, it's pretty much just HDNet and DiscHD. I can't really compare CBS because it's local CBS in HD on Adelphia vs NY CBS via E* so you never know where any difference would come from. No other networks on E*, so no way to compare. PQ is pretty close I think. Sound seems a bit better on Adelphia. I never have sound dropouts on Adelphia and did have them with E*.

So, not just a jedi knight or two, and if Detroit is the exception - it's not the only one. A couple weeks ago a local HT shop dropped E* in favor of Adelphia for that reason. Last week a local cigar and coffee shop dropped E* in favor of Adelphia. To be honest, it had far more to do with content than with PQ, but both have agreed that PQ was "at least" as good via cable HD.

bruce said:
Why am I a sucker, do you think I wanted to leave, no, if E* would add more HD and a good lease plan for a HD-DVR ( who the h*ll wants to pay $250.00 just so you have the right to lease a HD-DVR-the 942, please ), if E* just had more HD, I would not even care about the DVR, because I was happy with them, this is what I am getting for a $120.00 including 4mps broadband and Comcast Phone service, a HD Digital Box and a HD-DVR Duel Tuner Box, now who's a sucker.

ON DEMAND Menu
2 WJBK-2 (FOX)
3 C-SPAN 2
4 WDIV-4 (NBC)
5 HBO
6 WTVS-56 (PBS)
7 WXYZ-7 (ABC)
8 Comcast Local
9 ESPN
10 QVC
11 WPXD-31 (PAX)
12 Government Access
13 WKBD-50 (UPN)
14 WWJ-62 (CBS)
15 GSN
16 Leased Access
17 EWTN 6am-6pm / Inspirational Network 6pm-6am (effective 5-4-04)
18 Public Access
19 Educational Access
20 WDWB-20 (WB)
22 Cinemax
23 WADL-38 (IND)
24 WGTE-30 (PBS)
25 Comcast Television/MGTV
26 WGN Chicago
27 HSN
28 C-SPAN
29 TBS
30 The Weather Channel
31 TNT
32 Fox Sports Network
33 Speed Channel
34 The Learning Channel
35 ESPN Classic
36 ESPN 2
37 CNN
38 Headline News
39 CNBC
40 Fox News
41 MSNBC
42 The Discovery Channel
43 The History Channel
44 Bravo
45 A&E
46 American Movie Classics
47 The Travel Channel
48 Home & Garden TV
49 Food Network
50 fX
51 USA Network
52 Lifetime
53 ABC Family
54 SCI FI
55 Comedy Central
56 E! Entertainment TV
57 The Disney Channel
58 Cartoon Network
59 Nickelodeon
60 Spike TV
61 Great American Country
62 BET
63 VH1
64 MTV
65 Animal Planet
66 Turner Classic Movies
67 G4TechTV
68 SoapNet
70 Style
71 TV Land
72 The Golf Channel
73 Court TV
74 Outdoor Life
76 Showtime
77 The Movie Channel
95 TV Guide Channel
99 CBET-9 (CBC)
101 Local Weather
102 ESPNews
105 C-SPAN 3
109 National Geographic
110 Science Channel
111 Discovery Times Channel
112 Discovery Wings
113 Discovery Home
114 BBC America
115 Biography
116 History International
117 Women's Entertainment
119 Oxygen
120 SoapNet
121 DIY Do It Yourself
122 Fine Living
126 Discovery Health
126 Discovery Health
129 Nick Toons
130 Discovery Kids
131 Noggin
132 Nick Too
133 Nick Games & Sports
134 WAM!
135 Toon Disney
136 Disney Channel East
138 G4techTV
139 MTV Hits
140 MTV2
141 MTV Español
142 MTV Jams
143 VH-1 Classic
144 VH-1 Soul
145 VH-1 Country
148 fXM
149 Independent Film Channel
150 Encore East
151 Encore West
152 Encore Action East
153 Encore Action West
154 Encore Mystery East
155 Encore Mystery West
156 Encore Love Stories East
157 Encore Love Stories West
158 Encore True Stories East
159 Encore True Stories West
160 Encore Westerns East
161 Encore Westerns West
163 TV One
165 Sundance Channel East
166 Sundance Channel West
168 NFL
170 Flix East
171 Flix West
172 Discovery HD Theater^-HD
173 ESPN^-HD
174 INDHD^-HD
175 INDHD2^-HD
178 Showtime*-HD
179 HBO*-HD
180 WXYZ ABC-HD
181 WDIV NBC-HD
182 WWJ CBS-HD
183 WJBK FOX-HD
187 Hallmark Channel
190 - 191 WTVS PBS-HD
195 - 319 Cinemax*-HD
196 - 369 Starz!*-HD
200 Comcast iNDEMAND Previews
201 - 202 Comcast iNDEMAND
206 Hot Choice
224 - 231 Comcast iNDEMAND
224 - 230 Comcast iNDEMAND/NASCAR
250 Playboy
251 Spice
252 Spice 2
253 Pleasure
254 Hot Network
262 Fox Sports Net Atlantic
263 Fox Sports Net Central
264 Fox Sports Net Pacific
267 Fox Sports Net World
268 GOL
273 NBA TV
275 NFL Network
280 ShopNBC
281 Home Preview
290 The Word Network
301 HBO East
302 HBO 2 East
303 HBO Signature East
304 HBO Family East
305 HBO Comedy East
306 HBO West
307 HBO 2 West
308 HBO Signature West
309 HBO Family West
310 HBO Zone East
311 HBO Latino East
312 HBO Latino West
320 Cinemax East
321 More Max East
322 Cinemax West
323 More Max West
324 Action Max East
325 Thriller Max East
326 Action Max West
327 WMAX East
328 @MAX East
329 5 Star Max East
330 Outer Max East
340 Showtime East
341 Showtime Too East
342 Showtime Showcase East
343 Showtime West
344 Showtime Too West
345 Showtime Showcase West
346 Showtime Beyond East
347 Showtime Extreme East
348 Showtime Extreme West
349 Showtime Beyond West
350 The Movie Channel East
351 The Movie Channel West
352 The Movie Channel XTRA East
353 The Movie Channel XTRA West
370 Starz! East
371 Starz! Theatre East
372 Black Starz! East
373 Starz! West
374 Starz! Family
375 Starz! Cinema East
376 Starz! Cinema West
377 Starz! Kids

And this is a little old, all the analog SD channels are now in the digital spectrum like 2 WJBK-2 (FOX) analog is also-502 WJBK-2 (FOX) Digital.
My area's Comcast is trying to clear the analog spectrum.

Why not change to "VOOM" then you'll have want you want.

kelljc said:
Why not change to "VOOM" then you'll have want you want.

No HD-DVR, no RSN, no Lifetime,no InHD 1 and 2, too much money ( $100.00 dollars a month with just one STB, my bill is $120.00 for all those channels, 2 HD-DVRs, broadband, landline phone for six months, then $130.00 for 16 months) and I have enough HD now, with all my network locals in HD ( and UPN and WB in HD which I pick up with my Samsung-165 OTA STB), all the premium movie channels in HD, Discovery, ESPN and InHD 1 and 2, I miss too much now, which is why I have a HD-DVR.

And kelljc, I read your posts in the Voom Forums, and you complain about how non-Voomers post over there, one word for that-Hypocrite

ocaddict said:

my cable providers hd is better than what dish provided.

question

just a question, i'm thinking about leaving dish for direct tv, since we pay for a month in advance when we sign up for dish, do they leave the service on for a month after you cancel. also if i stay with dish and i leave my recievers connected to a phone line, can i avoid the 4.99 additional reciever access fee. thanks for any help anyone has

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts