Dish wifi

I was logged into a RV forum and someone asked the same question, so I posted the question here where the ones that know pretty much anything might have a comment
They should partner with Starlink for those customers in a bad DSL area or no internet area when product catches up to demand.
Also from the RV forum - Starlink is being delayed because of a chip shortage. All for getting more bandwidth from whomever.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The person called it Travlfi. 3 carriers buy equipment. So, live full time in a RV. Purchased Nighthawk and have a prepaid plan with AT&T 100GB per month. I just want more and I am always looking.

I just heard about Dish wifi any comments?
Though I have never tried it, I have always been leery of satellite internet in general. One concern, of course, is the 1 or 2 second round trip delay. If you are a gamer, this is a killer. For the others of us, it is just annoying. More concerning to me is that for Internet (two-way) communication, the beamwidth of your antenna must be considerably less than the beamwidth of a receive-only TV antenna. Why? The orbital spacing of geostationary communications satellites is around 2 degrees. If you are doing receive-only communications, and pick up a bit of energy from the adjacent satellite, no harm is done. In fact, a Dish TV antenna has a relatively wide beamwidth, and can tolerate considerable misalignment - that’s why you can align it by hand. But if you expect to transmit, your beamwidth must be quite a bit narrower, and aim must be much more precise, to avoid pumping energy into an adjacent satellite. The narrower beam is harder to aim, and may require special equipment. And the antenna mounting system must be exceptionally stable and rigid. If you bolt it to a tree - or a flimsy Dish TV pipe-mount - you can be in trouble if a strong wind blows. To complicate matters, you must ensure that you don’t hit the adjacent satellite even during the aiming process. Climbing a ladder and tunking an antenna into position is OK for a receive-only antenna, but for transmit/receive, it won’t cut it.

I imagine that professional installation by a knowledgeable tech with special equipment is required. Or perhaps I am just a Luddite, and these things are of no concern today.

Bill

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)