dish won't let me add vip 612 to new account

Account stacking may just be part of the reason. I think the real reason is to avoid confusion and avoid unnecessary service calls by having a mixture of equipment. Do you know how hard it would be for a CSR to troubleshoot a customer with a Hopper, Super Joey, 722 and a 612?
most csr cant even trouble shoot single stand alone boxes without having the customer screwing up everything.

It's not a technical reason, it's an anti-stacking reason. They allow 211's for tailgating/camping purposes.

Isn't it technical because of the difference in the cabling for the Hopper within the house? The 211's supposedly are not connected to the same dish as a Hopper, but a 612 in the house could not use the same cabling as the Hopper.

Not necessarily the cabling, but the node. RG6 is recommended/required in some parts of the install with hopper, but recommended for all installs at this point.

When the Hopper first came out, there was a cabeling diagram on how to hook up a VIP receiver. I saved the pdf to my HD. I won't post it unless I get the OK.
So it is technically doable, but as others have said, Dish decided that they did not want it done.

I know the wiring diagram would be different(diplexors and seperators instead of nodes and taps), so we know it would be technically possible. I beleive it also required atleast a DPP44 as well. But I think overall, it was a better idea to make the decision they made, to limit errors that would only confuse both phone reps and most consumers.

As said before, the 211 receiver is the only receiver you can have on a Hopper account. You can up to two 211 receivers and they must both be purchased. If all you need is a single HD DVR then you can purchase a 211 and get an external hard drive to turn it into a DVR. Dish charges a one time $40 fee.
if i get a hopper 1 joey and and my 211 with external hard drive how much extra per month for the 211?

if i get a hopper 1 joey and and my 211 with external hard drive how much extra per month for the 211?
$7.00 monthly just like the joey and $40.00 one time fee to turn the 211k into a dvr with your external hard drive after is formated with the software.

You you went with a Hopper, Joey and 211 with EHD this is what you would be spending.

Hopper $12 a month
Joey $7 a month
211 $7 but must be purchased. Retail at $99 but can be found online for less.
External Hard Drive must be purchased. Price depends on the amount of storage.
DVR activation fee for the 211 is $40, paid once.

not sure of the technical reasons..............but you can't mix hopper system with the older systems
I think it is a COST issue for Dish. Having to accommodate the ViP's with additional switches and more complex wiring would probably ruin the economies, not to mention more points of failure for Dish to replace at its cost.

Reactions: ChadT41
Plus there is already enough complaining about the current service offered due to lack of knowledge on the CSRs part. Do you really want to make it worse?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)