DishAnywhere mobile app totally useless lately?

bchandler02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Anyone else having problems lately? I know it hasn't been the greatest app overall, but I generally found it pretty reliable.

In the last month or so, it has been near impossible to connect to my HWS. The app tells me that it is not connected to the internet which is incorrect. My HWS is also connected because I've sat in front of it and ran the network setup and it passed. So, I know the HWS connection is good, and I know my mobile device is good because I can connect to other stuff without a problem. I've tried hard reboots of the HWS with no success.

I'd say right now I have about a 25% success rate in connecting to my HWS via mobile. It is happening on a Motorola Razr MAXX HD as well as a Galaxy S4. Anyone else seeing this lately, and know a possible fix?

I would disconnect it from the internet, then reconnect. If that doesn't do it start looking at the Router configuration. May have to port forward if it isn't already and with some connections an assigned internal IP address for it may help. (One of my security cameras needs to have the same LAN address or connections are iffy)

Edit - I know you feel the connection is good, however simply getting it to connect and then streaming are two different things. Is there an app you can use on the Hopper and see how it streams? Also you can do a simple connection test that does both speed and quality of your internet service.

http://freeola.com/line-test/

Last edited:
My HWS is connected by Wifi and have found that if the hopper is off I cannot use my ipad.
When I turn the HWS on I can connect.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Mine seems more sensitive to the Wifi signal strength on the mobile device than does most other apps. Works "OK" most of the time on my Razr Maxx but occasionally, requires closing & re-opening the app. Oddly, seems to lock on every time on my Nexus 7 tablet and FWIW, so does the Razr when on 4G instead of Wifi.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

I would disconnect it from the internet, then reconnect. If that doesn't do it start looking at the Router configuration. May have to port forward if it isn't already and with some connections an assigned internal IP address for it may help. (One of my security cameras needs to have the same LAN address or connections are iffy)

Edit - I know you feel the connection is good, however simply getting it to connect and then streaming are two different things. Is there an app you can use on the Hopper and see how it streams? Also you can do a simple connection test that does both speed and quality of your internet service.

http://freeola.com/line-test/

I'd agree with you, but I know everything is solid. The router has not changed at all in over a year. I can stream from Dish on Demand to the hopper very well with a great connection and all tests on my end work fine. I'm pulling 65 down and 10 up on average.

I just tried it right now, and it works.. go figure. It'll fail again in an hour. When it fails, I have noticed that no receivers are listed in the app under my equipment. It's like the HWS just disappears for a while.

What kind of router do you have? Which ISP?

Dlink DIR655 on Cox. I was thinking about setting my HWS to a static IP and adding that to the DMZ to see if that helps. May do that today if I get around to it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and the Dish app works great and has been for a long time now. Hope you get it figured out!

I have intermitant problems with Dish Anywhere.
I use it on my desktop, with the HWS and the PC wired to yhe same Cradlepoint router. I can watch a dvr show or 2 and then get a message about lost internet connection. Wait a few minutes and try again it works fine.

I'd agree with you, but I know everything is solid. The router has not changed at all in over a year. I can stream from Dish on Demand to the hopper very well with a great connection and all tests on my end work fine. I'm pulling 65 down and 10 up on average. I just tried it right now, and it works.. go figure. It'll fail again in an hour. When it fails, I have noticed that no receivers are listed in the app under my equipment. It's like the HWS just disappears for a while.

I just posted this in another thread but when I updated my android and iPad apps in the last couple of days I can't connect to my HWS. The receivers listed are the ones I had before I upgraded last month. My Mac sling plug-in works fine. Happens whether I'm connecting inside or outside my home network. Apps worked fine last week.

Mine stopped working on the iPad with the current , both hoppers are greyed out, update but the dish explore app still works fine and sees both hoppers

Mine stopped working on the iPad with the current , both hoppers are greyed out, update but the dish explore app still works fine and sees both hoppers

Same here. On iPad..Explorer fine...Anywhere not...everything was working OK last week before the update. Restarted everything. Un-installed and re-installed the app. Still no good. I PM'd DIRT.

My iPad mini and HTC one are working flawlessly.

Have you tried updating your applications lately?

I have the most current version of anywhere and explorer on the same iPad and network explorer works and anywhere does not. Seems to be a common problem based on the negative comments in the App Store. It only seems to affect some users not all

My iPad mini and HTC one are working flawlessly. Have you tried updating your applications lately? Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Like I said in my previous post, my apps..on both my iPad and HTC One, were also working flawlessly until the last update (last couple of days). Explorer on iPad works fine. Anywhere plug-in on Mac works fine. Both iPad and Android apps are showing the wrong Receiver numbers...they are the numbers of the H2K before I upgraded to the HWS last month.

I've seen reviews for the latest updates that mention the same problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)