Dishanywhere on Android tablet no on demand streaming media

mmcl26554

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Northern WV
Dishanywhere works fine on my Android Table ICS 4.0.3 for recorded content and live TV but no on demand streaming movies or shows. I have been told this is a known issue, ok so now they know it but when if ever will they fix it.
Michael

Well I had never heard of the Widevine player, but I looked it up on the web and read some about it. I'm not real clear about what it is or if there is an app for it. I did install "Plays everywhere" if that is what your referring to. But I don't really know how to use it....yet!
Michael

Widevine is a browser plugin,several of the mobile browsers don't support it.I was able to use dolphin browser and it worked at one time,I haven't tried it lately.

What's different about Widevine?

The Widevine Media Optimizer is a browser plugin designed for the viewing of premium video content.
The Widevine plugin is commonly used by premium content providers.

That's the google description.I liken it to drm,and hdcp.Anyway,Dish uses widevine for online pc viewing,without it you can't watch.Folks that run linux are left out too.

You can't just install it on your tablet.It is a browser plugin,if you can find an extension for whatever browser you use,that is how you would install it.I'm just not sure any android browsers support widevine yet.Search around the web,you may stumble onto something.You can also try dolphin hd browser,as I said it did work for me on a kindle fire,but that was months ago.

Lucky86 asked if I had it. So I guess the answer is no. Which leads to the question do I need it for "DishAnywhere" app to work and show the streaming media that the PC Version does. Otherwise what else would I want it for to go to the trouble to find it? And the real reason for my post was to find out if Dish has fixed this app or am I owner of the only Android tablet that doesn't get what this application is supposed to do?
Michael

I believe that the on demand utilizes the mobile version of the widevine player and if the phone doesn't support it, then on demand won't appear. Wide vine is a browser plugin and also is in some mobile apps. You can confirm this on their site. I'm not 1000 percent certain on all the details but I'll see if I can do some more research.

I read on the net that Chrome has added it to the Android browser. If that is the case then shouldn't Chrome on Android support the Dishanywhere site and streaming media? I also thought I read that Netflix uses Widevine, or am I wrong. Anyway I can watch Netflix on my tablet.
Michael

The Dish app works for recorded media and Live TV from my dish 722k receiver, on my PC I also have the on demand Block buster at home streaming media, but not on the Android app. I have tried on the 3 browsers on my Android, the native one who's name I don't know, Opera and Chrome I cannot see any media from Dish or Netflix on the browsers but Netflix app works fine I can watch anything I want. However, Dish is as I described app only.
Michael

I would think that this Widevine support would be built into the Android OS since Google makes the OS but maybe some devices don't have it built in or aren't compatible. I'll try to get some more info later this week.

Hopper with Sling

Dish anywhere, both live and dvr recordings, works perfectly on both my new Nexus 7 tablet and my older Galaxy S 2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Live and recorded content work fine on mine but I do not have access to the on demand blockbuster at home streaming content like I have with Dishanywhere on my PC. What about you Brian do you just get recorded and live content or do you also get the streaming BB @ Home also.
Michael

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts