Dishcomm, ethernet, and the dual tuner $5 fee

Character Zero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
So I have posted in another thread that I am getting an install this weekend. To make this easier I will have one 1 tuner Hd box and one 2 tuner Hd box. Due to wiring issues I will only have ethernet available to the 1 tuner box. Both of the boxes should have Dishcomm connected. I know that some of the bradoband connection features don't translate over Dishcomm, but can I avoid the $5 fee with the Dishcomm. In summary its :

Ethernet->1 Tuner box->Dishcomm->2 tuner Box

Will this allow me to avoid the $5 charge for the second tuner, no phone lines connected to either box.

Edit : Also this is how it has to be without getting into specifics. The boxes cannot be swapped in this chain.

Last edited:
That is the setup that I have, but so far it hasn't been working for me. When I test the DishComm everything is set up, but I am still getting nailed with the $5.00 charge. The only thing I can think of is that the single tuner doesn't need to connect back to dish, so by default it doesn't call home and then that leads to the 2 tuner reciever not calling home. If you get it to work, I would like to know how you did it.

Well crap. I would rather not have the 2 tuner box than pay the $5. Of course if it all "looks" like it works, then the installer might close the order thinking its ok. I wonder if they can verify this before he leaves and closes the order. I could pay the extra $50 up front to have the 1st box be dual tuner (its a DVR) but its a waste to have DVR on a Tv I don't watch (hanging off the 2nd tuner).

So, I wonder if the installer can verify the $5 charge before he leaves and I am stuck with a charge if I want to change out the box. Unless I can set the dual tuner box up as a single tuner box and not get the charge if it shows up on the bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)