DishComm Problems

Tom in TX

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 27, 2004
I have two 622's. When I try to set up DishComm, each reciver shows that it is "online", and green. If I try to add the other receiver, I get a warning: "Error in DishComm Setup". Any ideas on how to add the receiver? They are each plugged directly into a wall socket, no power strip.

Tom in TX

8Bit,

I think you're talking Dish Online. The Dishcomm is supposed to allow multiple ViP receivers to share the phoneline, communicating over the power lines. If Dishcomm is implemented over ethernet (and USB) that will be even nicer. There were reports with Dishcomm the the data being sent though the power connection was being filterd by surge protectors.

Tom, you may try plugging both units into the same wall plug. Perhaps the 2 circuits you are trying now are on the opposite phases of the house wiring and that is enough to cause problems.

Miner

8Bit,

I think you're talking Dish Online. The Dishcomm is supposed to allow multiple ViP receivers to share the phoneline, communicating over the power lines. If Dishcomm is implemented over ethernet (and USB) that will be even nicer. There were reports with Dishcomm the the data being sent though the power connection was being filterd by surge protectors.

Tom, you may try plugging both units into the same wall plug. Perhaps the 2 circuits you are trying now are on the opposite phases of the house wiring and that is enough to cause problems.

Miner

Well! That's not at all what I thought it was... So, the only purpose is to share a phone line over the powerline? That's fraught with problems. You could have a split power supply that would prevent communication at all. If there is a receiver that will be using the connection from the powerline, you probably have to set the modem on that one to a different setting in order to be found, I suspect.

Tom, when you try to add one to the other are you keying in the right serial number starting with the R00 and changing the "type" to receiver? I set my 2 up a couple night ago and it worked perfectly and one of them is plugged into a UPS.

Tom, when you try to add one to the other are you keying in the right serial number starting with the R00 and changing the "type" to receiver? I set my 2 up a couple night ago and it worked perfectly and one of them is plugged into a UPS.

Yes. I was very careful with the R**** number. Maybe I'll call tech support and see if they can walk me thru it!
Thanks,
Tom in TX

P.S. - Wish I was in Vegas - Ilove that town!