Dishlifter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kodaz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
North East PA
I am almost finished with my dishlifter to get that 22' high dish down.
I have a couple of questions on the function.

1. If the dish is pointing due south and the dish pole is on the south side of the building. what position should the dishlifter be mounted to the pole? What am i referencing.

2. Do you try to swing the dish away from the building some, or just let it down directly beside you.

3. how close to the top of the pole do you setup

I am going to try to shoot the whole project and post the pics here.

Kodaz

Last edited:
"I am almost finished with my dishlifter to get that 22' high dish down.
I have a couple of questions on the function."

"1. If the dish is pointing due south and the dish pole is on the south side of the building. what position should the dishlifter be mounted to the pole? What am i referencing. "

I would think it best to mount the dishlifter on the north side of the pole with the bottle jack pumped up so pulley end of the arm is directly above where you want to attach to your dish. Loosen the pole mount screws, twist it loose & crank the winch.

"2. Do you try to swing the dish away from the building some, or just let it down directly beside you."

Then lower the bottle jack until the dish is beyond the pole to the south & lower it down. Might want to attach some rope in a loop to the bottom of the dish so your helper on the ground can control it better. ;)

"I am going to try to shoot the whole project and post the pics here."

When I can get some clear space to work under my dish I'll be lowering to the east of the pole away of my house - too many obstacles right now.:) Your pics would be a boon to all of us - thanks!

I am almost finished with my dishlifter to get that 22' high dish down.
I have a couple of questions on the function.

1. If the dish is pointing due south and the dish pole is on the south side of the building. what position should the dishlifter be mounted to the pole? What am i referencing.

2. Do you try to swing the dish away from the building some, or just let it down directly beside you.

3. how close to the top of the pole do you setup

I am going to try to shoot the whole project and post the pics here.

Kodaz

When I used my lifter especially that high be careful as you don't want dish to tip over make sure you have hooked as high on mount as possible. You put lifter on poll as high as possible behind dish but you can swing dish and lifter around on pole to take off any direction needed. I would remove arm and let dish come over to either side up against pole and using rope or cable from lifter tie it to pole so that it does not flop from side to side when you are lifting off pole also if you might want to adjust the elevation tipping the dish down toward ground to assist it coming off pole straight, some times it is rusted to pole so swing it back and forth after loosening bolts to pole slowly crank it up while swinging back an forth you will see it start to come up the pole be ready when it comes off pole as it will want to tip or swing to perpendicular. On my lifter I have a jack that I jack up so that I am pulling dish straight up off pole or as close to straight as possible slowly one crank at a time when it comes off pole depending on mount may want to tip this is where a helper is needed to steady bottom of dish and as it comes up pole pull or push turn as needed so it does not bind on pole as it comes up does not have any real weight just to steady dish so as not to let it get away from you. I then us pole to help slide dish to ground by lowering and sliding the mount down the pole with helper steadying front dish. You have to be careful when you are cranking down so as not to let go of crank handle unless in locked position. Don't try on a windy day. Would have been better to try one closer to ground for first lift .Good luck

I followed directions from post 3 . Tvro's lifter is a marvelous thing, it made this job extremely simple.
This is not the 22 ft tall dish, but it was last- yesterdays- Saturday acquisition. good practice run for the big one.
Its funny, i seem to have fallen backwards into BUDS this month. I have to go get a monster fibreglass dish roughy 12 ft and the 22 ft tall 10fter one still. this dish is only 8ft unimesh, i think, well 92 incher

The weight of the dishlifter is a consideration. Got heavy on me.
In order to connect the cable to the dish, i actually climbed up the dishlifter itself to connect the cable as high on the dish mount as i could.
I have pics although they were not as clear as i wanted, they do show the various sequential positions. I omitted the one that made me look like a monkey.
it was fun!! Although some lady who had a bit much to drink did wreck her car right after driving past me...:eek: Cops had to come to get her cause she wouldnt leave her car without her cellphone...

Attachments

• number 1.JPG
    number 1.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 146
  • number 2.JPG
    number 2.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 163
  • number 3.jpg
    number 3.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 155
  • number 4.jpg
    number 4.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 183
About the weight issue: Substitute aircraft pip pins(quick pins) for the bolts at the bottom of the arm & the top of the elevating jack. This would break it down to 2 more manageable pieces. Attach the pins to the arm with light jack chain.

Turns out the dish was not 20ft up but still higher then i preferred. Was still tricky even with scaffolding as the owner did not want me to stand on his roof. I have sort of step by step pics. Dishlifter paid for itself today (all $20)

I am not doing anything like that again.

TVRO, you are a better man then I!

I used an assistant for the project! I have a large solid to get still, but is low to the ground. the pole that the solid is on looks like its about 10" around, huge , LOL!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 3a.JPG
    3a.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 152
  • intruck.JPG
    intruck.JPG
    640.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 138
Turns out the dish was not 20ft up but still higher then i preferred. Was still tricky even with scaffolding as the owner did not want me to stand on his roof. I have sort of step by step pics. Dishlifter paid for itself today (all $20)

I am not doing anything like that again.

TVRO, you are a better man then I!

I used an assistant for the project! I have a large solid to get still, but is low to the ground. the pole that the solid is on looks like its about 10" around, huge , LOL!

Looks good glad the lifter worked for you on the higher ones like that i would set up a 24 ft extension ladder behind the dish tie it to pole if it was not near a roof to stand on the problem always was getting the lifter up ladder and bolted around pole push it up mount so it was high enough to do the lift. Once it was set up the lift was fairly easy as long as you had a helper to guide dish down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)