Dish'n It Up - 522 Receiver Upgrade Questions

coolguy982

Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Kansas
I chatted with a Dish rep tonight and asked about upgrading to HD. I currently have a Dish 522 DVR receiver that drives two TVs. TV1 has recently been upgraded to an HDTV. I only have the Dish Family programming package which is no longer offered.

I was told that I could be upgraded to the 722 HD DVR receiver for no extra charge but it would require a new 24-month commitment. It would also require a technician visit at either $95 or $15 (if I pay for a service contract). I could remain paying for only Dish Family and the monthly DVR fee.

A few questions:

1. Does this all sound correct? I don't want to pull the trigger and then be slammed with surprise fees.

2. Is it correct that since I only have Dish Family that I would only get HD on the local channels? (we mostly watch the local channels anyway)

3. It looks like I could upgrade for $45 if I pay for 5 months of the service contract and the $15 install fee. In your opinion, is $45 worth an upgrade from a 522 to 722?

4. Am I right in assuming that an external hard drive cannot be connected to my 522, thus meaning that when I upgrade I would lose all recorded shows that are currently on the 522?

Thanks in advance!

1.You summed it up very nicely.

2.Yes locals only if they are available in HD

3.$45 is a great deal to go from 522 to 722!

4.You are correct about the 522 recordings.Unless you keep it subbed you will lose all your recordings.

1.You summed it up very nicely.

2.Yes locals only if they are available in HD

3.$45 is a great deal to go from 522 to 722!

4.You are correct about the 522 recordings.Unless you keep it subbed you will lose all your recordings.

Perfect answers. The tech visit also includes a dish upgrade if you need it.

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
Perfect answers. The tech visit also includes a dish upgrade if you need it.

Since when are we able to get dish family on a dish'n it up commitment. When disclosures were read to me it said a minimum of dish America (hd only) at120, dish Mexico, or any qaulifying international package. I've had three dius in the past year. 211k to a 922 in april, 222k to a 622 in October and added a 211k again this month. The disclosures have never mentioned anything lower than at120.

Since when are we able to get dish family on a dish'n it up commitment. When disclosures were read to me it said a minimum of dish America (hd only) at120, dish Mexico, or any qaulifying international package. I've had three dius in the past year. 211k to a 922 in april, 222k to a 622 in October and added a 211k again this month. The disclosures have never mentioned anything lower than at120.

When the rep originally mentioned all of the disclosures to me (presumably from a copy/paste into the chat session), it did say that the minimum qualifying package was AT120, so I then asked whether I could keep my Dish Family package and only get HD locals. He said yes.

I had the 722k installed a few days ago and all went well. Still on the Family plan, but did have to sign a new 24-mo agreement. HD quality is a huge step up from the SD I was getting with the 522 receiver! Thanks for all the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts