DISH'n It Up lease fee?

TheTony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
I've seen other (old) threads on this subject and figured I'd bring it up again, since I signed into my account today and noticed this line item on my account summary. I knew it was part of my account but I think the way it shows up on my account changed with the new account manager interface so it's on my mind again.

Specifically, I am referring to the "DISH'n It Up 1st HD AO" line item in the account summary. While it is not noted on my bill I think it translates to a fee on my bill called "leased receiver fee". I originally subscribed as a DHA customer years ago and have done one DIU promotion, to upgrade from an 811 to a 622 receiver. I was a little annoyed at both the monthly and one time fee to upgrade, but was compelled enough to do so. What I find annoying is that this $7 "lease" fee will be on my bill for perpetuity, even though I am no longer in the contract that I was tied to when I upgraded. It's an absolute junk fee, IMO - Dish has more than recouped their costs from me.

Furthermore, I find it frustrating because new customers can get the 622 WITHOUT this fee (and better new customer terms, to boot). In addition, I believe other DIU customers have been able to get the fee removed from their bill with a little bit of effort. I've tried once with no success.

Does anyone else have this line item on their bill but not have that $7 leased receiver fee? For the record, I only have that one receiver (622).

Pay the fee or leave DISH Notwerk wait 6 months and become a returning customer. Or sign up in your wife/girlfriends name if you qualify. You will then be able to boast that you beat DISH out of $7.

I had the same problem. I called a couple months ago and argued successfully (I thought) to have the leased receiver fee removed from my bill. It magically showed up again in my most recent statement. I called and they initially agreed with me that it should not be there. Then after about 15 minutes on hold the guy comes back on and said it is valid because of the promotion I got the receiver with. I immediately asked to speak to retentions. I explained the situation to retentions and they indicated it was valid. Basically, I told them that it made no sense - on the FAQ section under Billing>Fees, it does not indicate that the "no lease fee on the first leased receiver" is only for the current promotion. Meaning to me, there is no lease fee for anyone no matter what they signed up or upgraded to. You can't charge a fee that no longer exists. If there was a disclaimer or something to indicate that fees are based on the promotion you initially leased the receiver with then I would be okay paying it… but there isn't.

They offered to remove it for 12 months, I said if it ever appears again, I am going to cancel. The retentions rep then said he switched me to DVR Advantage and said it will never appear again. I had them verify that I am still out of contract as well.

Pay the fee or leave DISH Notwerk wait 6 months and become a returning customer. Or sign up in your wife/girlfriends name if you qualify. You will then be able to boast that you beat DISH out of $7.

One in every crowd - thanks for not disappointing. :rolleyes:

This isn't about cheating a company out of their money - I've been a more than loyal sub for years (including this fee) and don't intend to leave. However, it does bother me enough to look into it, rather than ignoring it each month, which I've done for some time. It just strikes me as inconsistent and unjustifiable. It's exactly the type of "feeding the pig" that Dish used to rail against, but I guess they haven't been that company for awhile now.

I realize the cost of doing business and adopting new tech, but Dish has more than paid for their investment for my equipment through my upgrade charge and ongoing lease fee. What irks me is that even existing subs are no longer subject to this fee, under the current DIU terms. Dish has revised it and no longer carries this fee for the first receiver.

Thanks brad880, very helpful reply - I think DVR advantage would alter my programming, which I do not want to affect, as I'm under a grandfathered package.

Last edited:
My mother got hit for the lease fee with her single 211. I thought I got it removed last year through the ceo address but I guess whatever they did only worked for a year. The fee mysteriously reappeared on her Feb, statement. Complicating matters a little is the fact that she pays annually and doesn't normally receive a monthly statement. They only start arriving the last few months of her subscription year once there's not enough of a payment credit to offset her $10 a month HD. I tried to get her to check the statement online, but she's not very computer literate.

After recently contacting the ceo office again she's now receiving a monthly $7 credit to offset the lease fee, but it's still there. I'm assuming the credits will run out after a year and I'll be contacting the ceo address again. I almost switched her to Directv over it. They have her locals in HD and DISH doesn't have them at all. Would've been cheaper while she was receiving incentives too. And returning to DISH once her DTV contract ran out would've gotten rid of the fee for good. Still may end up doing that next year. Main caveat for her would've been learning new equipment and channel numbers.

One in every crowd - thanks for not disappointing. :rolleyes:

This isn't about cheating a company out of their money - I've been a more than loyal sub for years (including this fee) and don't intend to leave. However, it does bother me enough to look into it, rather than ignoring it each month, which I've done for some time. It just strikes me as inconsistent and unjustifiable. It's exactly the type of "feeding the pig" that Dish used to rail against, but I guess they haven't been that company for awhile now.

I realize the cost of doing business and adopting new tech, but Dish has more than paid for their investment for my equipment through my upgrade charge and ongoing lease fee. What irks me is that even existing subs are no longer subject to this fee, under the current DIU terms. Dish has revised it and no longer carries this fee for the first receiver.

Thanks brad880, very helpful reply - I think DVR advantage would alter my programming, which I do not want to affect, as I'm under a grandfathered package.
You may not have liked the answer but your other replies have told you virtually the same thing. Your dishing it up grade that you agreed to included the rental fee. You might be able to get a credit on your account but it will come back. Until you close your account and wait 6 mo. to come back you will still be under that agreement. You can open a new account at that address in another qualifying name and start a new contract. It is your decision.

You may not have liked the answer but your other replies have told you virtually the same thing. Your dishing it up grade that you agreed to included the rental fee. You might be able to get a credit on your account but it will come back. Until you close your account and wait 6 mo. to come back you will still be under that agreement. You can open a new account at that address in another qualifying name and start a new contract. It is your decision.

Can't you do another dishing it upgrade? That may lock you in for another 2 years
but that should get rid of the lease fee because the new dishing it up grade does
not have the lease fee.

Mark

I had the same situation. I emailed the ceo address and was told that I would have to "upgrade" to get the $7 fee removed. At the time I had a 211 and had it "upgraded" to a 211k. No cost for the upgrade and the $7 fee disappeared. So often it all depends on who happen to contact at DISH.

You may not have liked the answer but your other replies have told you virtually the same thing.

Not really. I don't mind your answer, though, even though you told me nothing I didn't already know. I just didn't appreciate the snarky response.

So often it all depends on who happen to contact at DISH.

All too true - I've heard so many different ways people have had it resolved, if they were able. Out of curiosity - a 2nd DIU - that would presumably mean a new contract, but would there also be an upgrade fee? I suppose it'd entirely depend on the receiver.

All too true - I've heard so many different ways people have had it resolved, if they were able. Out of curiosity - a 2nd DIU - that would presumably mean a new contract, but would there also be an upgrade fee? I suppose it'd entirely depend on the receiver.

I too had the $7 lease fee for one 622 rec (only rec on the acct). I got rid of it for a year (this was earlier this year) by contacting the ceo at echostar email address. (Cust service was unable to do anything for me, so I tried the executive office). What they did was send me another 622, then I sent the existing 622 back (they paid for the return and shipment). I incurred no charges and did not have to agree to any contract (I'm currently not under contract). Of course I did have to send a perfectly good 622 back:confused: in order to get rid of the lease fee. To me it was worth it to save the $84 plus tax a year. The executive office did say in the email I that I could do a diu upgrade, (I'm guessing from a 622 to a 722) and that would completely eliminate the lease fee. I didn't wanna do that at this time due to the upgrade fee (I'm thinking it was $75) and I would be back under a 24 month contract. If money wasn't so tight that would have been a good deal, getting the extra recording space, but I'll see how things look when the year is up.
I'm not defending Dish but I do understand that when I got the 622 (around July 2006) that there would be a lease fee, even though it was the only rec on the acct.
Heck, I also paid the $199 upgrade fee, although I did get some programming credits to help offset that. It's also very true that the new subs get the sweetest deals and the existing customers don't:mad: I do think that cs should tell the subs something like, "I can't do anything because of the terms you agreed at the time included a lease fee on the only rec, however here are the options you have", then explain the diu possibility; or contact the executive office. I'm thinking a lot of subs would just say, "screw this, I'll send your 622 back and sign up with ____________". Poor customer service costs them a few subs, I think.

Wait a min.

I have 3 leased receivers that 1 purchased.
Am I supposed to pay that $7 lease fee (DHA Leased Receiver)?
Calling Dish and talking to them about this did no good. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts