DishNet

Or have both services in case you go over your cap with satellite. I had some bandwidth issues with DSL and they kept saying it was something on my end but when I got to talking to the right people I found out that they had a congestion problem. You need to talk to some people higher up in the company you have service with. How far are you from the DSLAM and what company do you go through? Have you talked to anybody that lives close to the same DSLAM to see what type of speeds that they are seeing? Perhaps they just need to bring more bandwidth to the DSLAM. Also, have you test speeds directly connected to the test jack at the box?

Or have both services in case you go over your cap with satellite. I had some bandwidth issues with DSL and they kept saying it was something on my end but when I got to talking to the right people I found out that they had a congestion problem. You need to talk to some people higher up in the company you have service with. How far are you from the DSLAM and what company do you go through? Have you talked to anybody that lives close to the same DSLAM to see what type of speeds that they are seeing? Perhaps they just need to bring more bandwidth to the DSLAM. Also, have you test speeds directly connected to the test jack at the box?

If I could afford to keep both that would be a perfect idea. I am about 6/10 of a mile from the DSLAM. Every one around me seems to be getting okay speeds. I've done a speed test with my computer plugged in the DSL modem and it's the same speed results.

Posted from my iPhone.

If I could afford to keep both that would be a perfect idea. I am about 6/10 of a mile from the DSLAM. Every one around me seems to be getting okay speeds. I've done a speed test with my computer plugged in the DSL modem and it's the same speed results.

Posted from my iPhone.

Has your ISP tried pair bonding? You are at the edge with your distance from the DSLAM....

You're 2200 feet away. Depending on the cable gauge, maybe so. I'd ask about pair bonding. It doubles up the copper....

Perhaps your house is wired like my last house; it had TWO LOOPS of phone wire going all over the place. This doesn't matter for audio frequencies, and in fact makes your phone jacks more likely to work even with one (or both!) loops severed somewhere. But it can make the DSL signal interfere with itself.

You might try separating out the DSL signal at the service entrance and sending it exclusively to your DSL modem. Don't let it go throughout the house!

2200 feet is not even close to a problem. .6 x 5280 = NOT 22000

3 (15,000') miles is quite acceptable.

If you have a fax on the line listening it can cause problems.

Your telco should check the line for two things.
1.) quiet
2.) proper level dial tone delivered (should be -9 dBm) which determines the line loading

If you have a noisy line or low levels you will have trouble with the DSL.

You can check the quiet line yourself. Plug a standard phone in the jack near the modem and just dial a 1 ... it should be dead quiet. The tech can actually measure it though. If it isn't then check it at the captel outside on the house - disconnect the house plug first. Same test. If quiet then it is inside, else telco's problem.

Give them a tip this time too ... LOL

Do you know how to access the line statistics within the DSL modem? You are close enough to the DSLAM to get much faster speeds, 10-20 MB if they would offer it. They could have you on a long loop line meaning it does not take a direct route to the DSLAM but goes somewhere else way down the road before it reaches its destination to the DSLAM. If so then they can "clip" it and make a direct shortest route to the DSLAM.

The tech is getting almost 10Mbps coming into the house. The once it hits the house it dies. He's rerunning the line to the modem again to see if that will help. Fingers crossed

Posted from my iPhone.

The tech is getting almost 10Mbps coming into the house. The once it hits the house it dies. He's rerunning the line to the modem again to see if that will help. Fingers crossed

Posted from my iPhone.

Oh my, you're gonna get a real eye opener when he gets that fixed!

New line ran. No go modem replaced with a new 2wire gateway and just like that works perfect! After 6 sagemcom f@st 1704s the 2wire fixes the problem.

Posted from my iPhone.

Hey that's great. I bet that will make his day ... probably his whole month!

You should be able to run ~ 10 Mb on copper for DSL then it poops out.

With AT&T U-verse I get 24Mbps down / 3Mbps up @ 750ft from the VRAD(DSLAM.)

My mother has Windstream and she gets 12Mbps down and 768Kbps up at about 2 miles from the DSLAM.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I'm right at 14,000 cable feet from the remote & consistently get a little over 8 mbps on the downstream.

Feel very fortunate to get that, still lots of areas around here that are dialup or sat.

Tater glad it worked out for you.

Btw, tater sounds like something we used to smoke........:D

A lot of people do not have the patience to get the right tech. It took me a few times to get the right tech out to fix my problems. I am now getting 21 MB down on a bonded DSL modem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)