Dishnetwork can really piss me off at times..

papalittle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Some old corn field, United States
I have a customer who is elderly and has moved from her farm to a assisted living facility which is not set up for HD Eastern or HD Western arc and management does not want anymore dishes on the building. Since she does not have a HD tv in her apartment we down graded her receiver from a 211 to a 311. Called dish to do the mover/DIU they totally refused to activate the 311. They say she must remain a HD customer. The cabling in the building is RG59. The 500 dishes are hooked to DP34 switches. The management does not want anymore switches installed in the storage room cabling box. I told dish this but they just oh well we can not help you. I guess Dish does not want to keep a customer so I am going to install Direct TV there and we decided if any new customers want satellite TV in that facility we are going to recommend DIRECT TV.

Was there a reason that you or her didn't want to use the 211 over the 311? It will pick up the same channels, and has SD outputs so there would be very little difference between the two.

Was there a reason that you or her didn't want to use the 211 over the 311? It will pick up the same channels, and has SD outputs so there would be very little difference between the two.

The 211 is not compatible with dP34 switches and management said we can not put another switch in the cable box because the cable company complained about the lack of room in the box. I do not want to remove a DP34 because then I would have to track down who is on there and then run switch test on all over their receivers. plus my boss does not think the RG59 will work well with the 211. She is using a 4X3 TV. I am trying to convince my boss to get a DPP 33 switch to put in parallel with the DP34's.

The 211 is not compatible with dP34 switches and management said we can not put another switch in the cable box because the cable company complained about the lack of room in the box. I do not want to remove a DP34 because then I would have to track down who is on there and then run switch test on all over their receivers. plus my boss does not think the RG59 will work well with the 211.
Since when?

DP34's will work fine with VIP receivers (for dual tuner receivers, you would have to run 2 lines). I can understand the part about not wanting the HD channels in the guide, but with only 119/110 installed, unless the locals come off one of those in HD, they would not show in the guide

VIP receivers work with any setup
DP34
DPP44+
DP21
DPP33

hell I use a 211 on a Dish500/Dish 300 SW21 setup (the old Legacy)

When I originally set up my 211 I used an aftermarket SW31 (which is like a SW42/SW21 combo)
switch test showed SW21 3 Sat

Now why would some clown at Dish tech support tell me wrong..could of saved a lot of trouble for me and my customer. She has not had TV for several days now. tomorrow I will hook up her 211. The only problem is most of our locals are in HD on the 110 sat. She can never remember how to change the aspect on her remote. HD on her CRT TV shows up as a little box.

So I returned to the customers house and hooked the 211 up and ran switch test, came back fine, showed signal of 80+ on 119 trans 21, 80 on 110 trans 21, all good right? Clicked ok got the 5 boxes "acquiring signal" boom complete signal loss. Tried switch test again, all good, Acquiring signal screen again, boom complete signal loss. Re-boot, no signal, switch test with no connection to dish then switch test connected to dish, all good. Acquiring signal no go. Finally I got a DPP44 switch ran switch test all good, acquiring signal all 5 boxes green, program guide good, boom it is working. So Even though many of you said a 211 will work on a DP34 it would not work just like the tech at dish said. Customer is very happy, I am happy. BTW we did an SR and dishes reply was since Dish refuses to allow customer to downgrade to 311 the customer will just have to quit being a customer BUT Dish will charge customer 20.00 a month for a year if she quit Dish. Nice!

It sounds like the DP34 had a bad port, because a 211 will work with it. So long as the customer was taken care of, that's all that matters. Please let me know if there's anything that I can do for you, or the customer

A new installation for my in laws got them DP34 switch...with VIP 222k & VIP211k connected & working properly for the last 3 months. & as Matt said above...might be a bad port.

Also could depend on what the last channel was she was watching. I have an issue with Denver HD locals in the sandhills of Nebraska. They will not come in at all and you get a signal loss screen. If you hit menu while in the signal loss screen and go to number 1 for program guide you can choose a non HD channel to get out. But I agree with Matt as well, could be a bad port on the DP34.

I have used a DP34 switch on a vip722.. Just had to run 2 lines to it.. It sounds like you had a bad port on the 34 switch..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts