DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 5/13/2008 11:08pm - Last 5 VOOMs removed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Wow, trouble (er lawsuits) must be a brewing... I was OK with losing the other VOOM channels, but now that's just lame! I have a feeling we'll see them back in a few days when rainbow (or their Advertisers) realize they are now in thousands of homes rather than millions!

However I'll be OK if Dish will use this extra room to keep adding new HD channels and keep up with their competition (mainly D* right now) this could result in even more sub churn for them, VOOM was exclusive for many HD subs, it was their bragging rights as they were all HD all the time.

So, is this Dish playing hard ball with voom or are they actually going to use that space for new channels that do not repeat as much.

I was really looking forward to the restored HD version of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" later this month on Monsters.

Not even that. :C
I think I saw that as a kid (looong time ago). Michael Rene plays the lead and he has a robot assistant or something. They were like trying to convince earth to stop doing something or other.

There are several channels I will miss but I can understand why Dish removed them. Would you do business with someone who was suing you? Didn't think so however, a major blow the Voom's income might get the lawsuit dropped and get Voom to fulfill their empty promises.

I am on the side of thinking this was all Vooms fault. I would have liked to have kept the channels, but I am not heartbroken over it. Though I know a lot of subs will be. If Voom wasnt holding up their end of the deal, then I don't blame Charlie for dropping them. Here's to more HD taking their place!

I am on the side of thinking this was all Vooms fault. I would have liked to have kept the channels, but I am not heartbroken over it. Though I know a lot of subs will be. If Voom wasnt holding up their end of the deal, then I don't blame Charlie for dropping them. Here's to more HD taking their place!

Most businesses will work with their suppliers to correct problems. If we're going to get more of the commercial filled channels that are available now then anything they add will be a step backwards. I hate paying to have advertisements shoved down my throat. The ad to programming ratio on some of these channels is outrageous.

Mario

I think I saw that as a kid (looong time ago). Michael Rene plays the lead and he has a robot assistant or something. They were like trying to convince earth to stop doing something or other.

Michael Rennie (Klaatu, I believe), the robot Gort and Patricia Neal. Klaatu is sent to Earth to stop humans from developing nuclear weapons and threatening the peace of the Universe, IIRC.

Absolutely stellar (no pun intended) movie. Best part is when Rennie finishes up the Professor's proof by explaining how the last terms go to zero. When the Professor looks skeptical and asks if he's sure, Rennie tells him about how he'd better be right because the equation just took his spaceship clear across the Universe. Also an interesting little religious wrinkle at the end of the movie.

Amazing how the excuse "no one ever asks specifically about VOOM" is used to justify its removal, while there are myriad channels on DISH (e.g. Ovation, DOC, Sleuth, DIY, etc.) that fall in the same category and hang around forever.

Last edited:
So, is this Dish playing hard ball with voom or are they actually going to use that space for new channels that do not repeat as much.
You mean channels like MGM and Smithsonian? I could not record "Breeders" on MGM last night due to scheduling conflict, but could record it next week. Smithsonian seems to repeat 3 times before changing schedule.

Sent Dish an email asking them to remind me when my contract ends. Color me gone!