DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 5/13/2008 11:08pm - Last 5 VOOMs removed

Right, some large % of all programming available is some sort of rerun. However, what I didn't like about some of the Voom channels was the waste of a whole day's programming being dedicated to 3 or 4 programs, repeated all day.

Today on Monsters:

Bloodstone: Subspecies 2
First Man Into Space
Creation of the Humanoids

Over and over and over again. To me, particularly in the age of DVRs, this is a waste of programming time.

And what do you suggest is going to replace Monsters? Chiller? Good grief the PQ is the worst of all channels I've looked at, not to mention all the commercials and P. Poor programs. Ok, you've lost VOOM, exactly what do you see replacing it. SPIKE, SPEED, FOX excluded, what? Now come up with 15.

didn't dish updated their webiste today with new packages? by the way i'm sure they're going to replace these really soon.

For me, it won't take much to replace MonstersHD because it had been showing programming that isn't interesting to me; and again the same three movies ALL DAY LONG! Dumb. Occasionally, I might find something on Monsters that I like, but, lately their line-up has been lame.

I already like MGM, Disney, Cartoon Network, better than anything that Voom provided, so I'm fine. For me, losing Voom is no loss. It didn't provide that much added value to me, so I'm not all that concerned about "what will replace Monsters, FilmF, or VMov?". To me losing voom is like if we lost the World Fishing Network. I don't care. And if it paves the way for some more HD, then fine.

For me, it won't take much to replace MonstersHD because it had been showing programming that isn't interesting to me; and again the same three movies ALL DAY LONG! Dumb. Occasionally, I might find something on Monsters that I like, but, lately their line-up has been lame.

I already like MGM, Disney, Cartoon Network, better than anything that Voom provided, so I'm fine. For me, losing Voom is no loss. It didn't provide that much added value to me, so I'm not all that concerned about "what will replace Monsters, FilmF, or VMov?". To me losing voom is like if we lost the World Fishing Network. I don't care. And if it paves the way for some more HD, then fine.

Yes, and that boxed/stretched SD content will be on it's way "soon."

Hopefully they'll turn off the signals soon, shuffle their HD transponder assignments a little, and give everything a little bit more bandwidth. Voom was interesting at times, but it's no big deal (to me) that it's gone.

Yes, and that boxed/stretched SD content will be on it's way "soon."

Content trumps presentation, almost every time.

I certainly would rather see original aspect ratio full HD than SD. However, I don't worship the HD gods to the extent that I'd rather tune to a sunrise with glacier melting in glorious HD verses my local news in fuzzy SD.

VOOM Was Why I Kept E*

The VOOM channels Gallery, Equator and Treasure were about the only reason that I committed to an 18-month extension when I got my 722. I suppose that even though I agreed to stay, somewhere in the fine print that did not promise any specific content. Yes, I agree that VOOM was getting to be 100% recycled, but those 'Eye Over' programs were worthwhile again and again. I don't suppose that complaining does a bit of good, does it? Hey, I still have regrets from when the CBC encoded on C-band. Sigh...

I was in Wally world and saw a loop with RushHD today... I hope this is a bluff or Direct picks them up...
Walmart and Sam's have re-broadcast VOOM in their stores for a year or longer. They have their own satellite system (or they lease feeds from someone).

For me, it won't take much to replace MonstersHD because it had been showing programming that isn't interesting to me; and again the same three movies ALL DAY LONG! Dumb.

Three movies in one day repeated 4 times a day, then 3 different movies the next day... hmmmm sounds like Starz Theater. 4 movies over and over for a week?

Take a look at Discovery Science's schedule today. Interesting that it's the same 3 hours of programming over and over in one 24 hour period. It happens with quite a few channels too. Even the "sought after" HD panacea channels.

But I am really now done with this line of conversation. The channels are gone and no amount of anger or angst will bring them back.

See ya
Tony

Walmart and Sam's have re-broadcast VOOM in their stores for a year or longer. They have their own satellite system (or they lease feeds from someone).
I was just in a Walmark yesterday and every one of their display HDTVs were receiving an HD picture from the Walmart network.

AS I understand it, this thread is for the latest Uplink report??? When was the last report addressing whether or not the Voom channels were STILL being uplinked? or not??

i never watched voom anyway. The same 6 or 8 programs looped 24/7 for months on end? Who wants to pay for that?

For those that never watched Voom, you're missing nothing. For me, who got to see some really classy movies on Voom that I've never seen anywhere else, I will miss them. World Cinema had some really thought provoking movies, and I got to catch up on the Japanese classics starring Toshiro Mifune from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. What an actor.

I wonder if Turner Classic Movies has been uplinked in HD? I want to see the (hopefully) restored version of the 1930 classic "The Wagon Train" starring John Wayne. Absolutely one of the best westerns ever made, and astounding for the times. Maybe we'll get the Encore Western channel uplinked in HD, and they can show it. "The Wagon Train" is just out on DVD, I saw in the paper.) Sorry, that's for another thread.

fitzie