DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 6/4/2008 1:33pm - 3 changes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
D

DigiSAT Uplink Report

Original poster
SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - Week Ending 06/07/2008 - 3 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 06/04/2008 12:40P - 06/04/2008 01:32P

Channel Type Changes:
5848 - SPECV EchoStar1 148W TP 23 ConUS beam changed from MPEG2 SD to SD TV (NA)

Channel Mapdown Changes:
7526 - PBS Echostar12 61.5W TP 23 ConUS beam mapdown of 60 added (A)
8448 - PBS Echostar12 61.5W TP 23 ConUS beam mapdown of 60 added (A)

Channels in the system: 5113
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available

SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - Week Ending 06/07/2008 - 3 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 06/04/2008 12:40P - 06/04/2008 01:32P

Channel Type Changes:
5848 - SPECV EchoStar1 148W TP 23 ConUS beam changed from MPEG2 SD to SD TV (NA)

Channel Mapdown Changes:
7526 - PBS Echostar12 61.5W TP 23 ConUS beam mapdown of 60 added (A)
8448 - PBS Echostar12 61.5W TP 23 ConUS beam mapdown of 60 added (A)

Channels in the system: 5113
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available
I almost had a heart attack I thought we might get PBS HD national(one can dream)

I don't understand why we can't get the National PBS HD. They would need to make it one day behind like PBS-X. It would only be one channel to uplink. Also Dish could uplink the statewide PBS's in HD, taking up very little bandwidth.

only markets that do not have a PBS in their market would qualify for the national feed

The state ones I can see that happenign but what do you do when a state has more than one. Here in Minnesota we have 6 PBS stations on Dish locals. 3 in Minneapolis, one in Duluth, one in the SW corner of MN that is part of Sioux Falls and one in Rochester...all are different. Its not a state run setup. That means Dish would need to uplink all of them

So did we just get another "steaming bowl of jack"? Man, I'm really jonesen for Albany, NY HD locals. It's been a quite a while since I got the announcement email from Dish. I guess it will be here SOON. :D

I don't understand why we can't get the National PBS HD. They would need to make it one day behind like PBS-X. It would only be one channel to uplink. Also Dish could uplink the statewide PBS's in HD, taking up very little bandwidth.

Dish would like to do that, PBS won't allow it.

The FCC has required that by 2013, Dish and DirecTV must make available all HD local channels in any market where they provide any HD local channels.

(It is phased in - 25% 2010, 50% 2011, 75% 2012.)

So, PBS has no incentive to allow Dish to propvide a National PBS HD.

I have an OTA PBS, but it is low powered and not provided to my market by Dish. Dish maps down the national feed on 60. It is interesting that KERA out of Dallas is carried by Dish as the Dallas PBS LiL, but they map national one here even though KERA is what is repeated here.

We get PBS from Mobile(which is Alabama PBS) and PBS from Pensacola Florida, which is sometimes different. Both have sub carrier channels that are not HD. I get both off my outdoor antenna, and an SD version of both from Dish.

Not everyone can get OTA reception here in the Bay Area and other parts of the country. A national PBS HD feed will be great for those people.
Exactly.

We watch more PBS than all other TV channels combined, by a wide margin. I would gladly pay $5-10/mo for the National PBS HD feed just like a premium package, etc..

Dish could take their share and provide PBS with the DMAs of National PBS HD feed subs. And National PBS could distribute the proportionate share of the funds Dish paid them to the Local PBS stations. Looks like a win-win all around:
* Dish makes a little cash and only uses 1-2 CONUS slots to meet their "must carry"
* National PBS gets some steady cash,
* Local PBS stations get some steady cash
* Dish subs who like PBS get the National HD feed,
* Dish subs who don't like PBS don't have to pay for the HD feed

Talon Dancer

We watch more PBS than all other TV channels combined, by a wide margin. I would gladly pay $5-10/mo for the National PBS HD feed just like a premium package, etc..

There aren't enough people like you to make that happen.

From amongst the people who watch that much:

- 60% don't have HD TV set

and

- Most of those who do, have free OTA PBS-HD or PBS-HD on cable

PBS appeals more to urban residents than rural residents, just the ones who are close to OTA towers, or who have major cable systems available.

PS Again, let me reiterate that Dish has asked for a National PBS-HD channel, and PBS will not allow it.

There's always an FTA HD receiver and a KU dish if you really want PBS-HD.
Thanks for the reminder. Maybe when Dish finally gets the Eastern Arc working with only one dish, I can replace the dish 1000.2 with a FTA KU dish. Two sat dishes on the roof is my limit :)

Talon Dancer

Thanks for the reminder. Maybe when Dish finally gets the Eastern Arc working with only one dish, I can replace the dish 1000.2 with a FTA KU dish. Two sat dishes on the roof is my limit :)

Talon Dancer

Why the roof? I like the motorized at ground level so I just walk up to it and do what I need.