DishNetwork ViP722k

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

djsindt

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
United States
I recently moved and was unable to keep my DishNetwork service. After many failed attempts to return my ViP722k DVR to them, they eventually just told me to keep it. So, I have a DishNetwork DVR that I have no idea what to do with. Would it be possible to use it as simply an OTA DVR? I'm fairly technically savvy, so I'm not opposed to opening it up in order to do something with it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I recently moved and was unable to keep my DishNetwork service. After many failed attempts to return my ViP722k DVR to them, they eventually just told me to keep it. So, I have a DishNetwork DVR that I have no idea what to do with. Would it be possible to use it as simply an OTA DVR? I'm fairly technically savvy, so I'm not opposed to opening it up in order to do something with it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not answering your direct question, since I have no idea what could be done with the box, but I am intrigued as to the many attempts to return the 722. Usually they just send a box with a return label and UPS or Fedex does the rest. It sounds like an interesting tale if you are willing to tell it.

One more thing, I'd try to get something in writing where they tell you to keep it. You could end up being charged on your credit card, or unable to sign up for DISH at a later time if this is on your record.

No, it won't work unless you subscribe at some level. Some boxes work briefly, then die.

I recently moved from Iowa to Colorado. I was in the middle of my contract, so Dish told me that if the technician came out and was unable to set it up that I would be out of my contract. That is exactly what happened. They told us that they would be sending a box for us to ship back our equipment.

After waiting for over a week I logged into my online account to see if there was any indication why I hadn't received a box yet. Immediately after moving I had swapped two numbers in my address and accidentally given some places the wrong address for my apartment, so I assumed that this was the problem. My account indicated that my receiver was obsolete and didn't need returned. I called Dish to verify this. The person I talked to told me that that was incorrect and that their records indicated that they had shipped me a box. I informed him that we hadn't received it and asked if he could verify the address that they had on file. The address was correct, and he offered to send out a new box, but after a few minutes told me that they were having some issues and wouldn't be able to send me a box right then. He put me on hold to talk to somebody about the system issues and after waiting on hold for a few minutes he came back and asked if I had a box I could ship it in if he sent me a label. I happen to keep boxes for everything and had the original box, so I told him yes. After a few more minutes he told me that he couldn't send me the label because the UPS site was down (I do website development and had been using the UPS API that same morning without problem). He offered to call me back the next day after he had had a chance to work everything out.

I never heard back from that guy again, but a week later I received an automated phone call telling me that my card would be charged unless I returned the equipment. I immediately called Dish to straighten out the issue. The lady on the phone this time told me that their system indicated that I owned my equipment and didn't need to send it back. She said that if I received any calls indicating that I my card would be billed that I should call them back. I informed her that that was the reason for this call. She put me on hold to talk to her supervisor and when she came back she simply told me they would be sending another box. It was to arrive on Monday (this was Sunday). I kept my eyes peeled for the next week. In the apartment complex I live in, if UPS is unable to deliver a package they will leave it in the offices. I checked regularly with the office to see if my box had arrived, but it never did.

That was the last contact I had with DishNetwork and was over a month ago. The card that they have on file has since expired and was never billed for the equipment. LT, you're probably right. I should call them again and get written confirmation that this box is actually mine before I do anything with it.

I recently moved from Iowa to Colorado. I was in the middle of my contract, so Dish told me that if the technician came out and was unable to set it up that I would be out of my contract. That is exactly what happened. They told us that they would be sending a box for us to ship back our equipment.

After waiting for over a week I logged into my online account to see if there was any indication why I hadn't received a box yet. Immediately after moving I had swapped two numbers in my address and accidentally given some places the wrong address for my apartment, so I assumed that this was the problem. My account indicated that my receiver was obsolete and didn't need returned. I called Dish to verify this. The person I talked to told me that that was incorrect and that their records indicated that they had shipped me a box. I informed him that we hadn't received it and asked if he could verify the address that they had on file. The address was correct, and he offered to send out a new box, but after a few minutes told me that they were having some issues and wouldn't be able to send me a box right then. He put me on hold to talk to somebody about the system issues and after waiting on hold for a few minutes he came back and asked if I had a box I could ship it in if he sent me a label. I happen to keep boxes for everything and had the original box, so I told him yes. After a few more minutes he told me that he couldn't send me the label because the UPS site was down (I do website development and had been using the UPS API that same morning without problem). He offered to call me back the next day after he had had a chance to work everything out.

I never heard back from that guy again, but a week later I received an automated phone call telling me that my card would be charged unless I returned the equipment. I immediately called Dish to straighten out the issue. The lady on the phone this time told me that their system indicated that I owned my equipment and didn't need to send it back. She said that if I received any calls indicating that I my card would be billed that I should call them back. I informed her that that was the reason for this call. She put me on hold to talk to her supervisor and when she came back she simply told me they would be sending another box. It was to arrive on Monday (this was Sunday). I kept my eyes peeled for the next week. In the apartment complex I live in, if UPS is unable to deliver a package they will leave it in the offices. I checked regularly with the office to see if my box had arrived, but it never did.

That was the last contact I had with DishNetwork and was over a month ago. The card that they have on file has since expired and was never billed for the equipment. LT, you're probably right. I should call them again and get written confirmation that this box is actually mine before I do anything with it.

Sounds like my experience about 4 years ago when I canceled my service. It took Dish From 10/13 to 12/09 and 12 different chat sessions to finally send a box out for me to return. Everytime I would chat them it was the same thing, we show a box was sent to you. If you do not receive it in 2 days contacts us again, which I did 12 times. If I were you I would use chat when talking to them and save the chats each time (as that is what I did). That way you have a record of what was said and a timeline in case anything comes back to bite you. just my two cents. Good luck.

Hi, I am sorry that you have had so many difficulties trying to return your receiver to DISH. Navychop is correct that the receiver will not work without the DISH service. If you would like to PM me your account number or phone number, I will look into the receiver issue and see what i can do to assist you. Thank you!

Thanks, I just would hate to see you get bitten in the butt later on if you ever try to get service from them down the road.

Dish will file it against your credit. I know of them filing for as little as $12.:eek:
So I would keep that in mind!!!

Have one of the DIRT members here look into this. If, in fact, you do own the box, you can re-sell it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)