No Tap with Duo node?

gregleg

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Getting my 2H/2J install this morning. One thing I had hoped for was to put a HIC in my wiring cabinet. There's an RG6 that happens to pass through that closet on the way to one of my Hopper locations, so I was thinking cutting that and putting in a Tap would provide a perfect place to drop the HIC. My installer said that would work in theory, but they've been having problems getting the tap to work with the Duo nodes, and typically they just drop the HIC on one of the Client lines from the Duo node instead (not really possible with my setup).

Anyone else run into this? He said as issues get worked out that would probably be fine in the future, but he's hesitant to install it that way for now because it could be flaky. Since I have CAT5 drops in both Hopper rooms it doesn't ultimately matter too much, but I was hoping to use the HIC to get the Joeys online from the start (and free up a port on the ethernet switch in the overcrowded mancave :) )

have him leave a tap for you and that way you can change it up on your own later.

I do know that some others on this forum had trouble with installing a hic after a tap, but none of those people replied back to their corresponding threads with a reply/resolution. We were never able to figure out where the problems were since they didn't follow up. Most likely install error, but I guess that could explain why a tech would be hesitant.

If you already have cat5 in the hopper rooms, you could put the hic and tap there without having to cut into your existing coax lines. That would be the easy route so you can test how well it works before you start splicing into lines.

Last edited:
I am not super savy on this stuff.. But mine has a coax coming from a duo node outside, line drops onto bedroom, to a tap then off the tap is a HIC and my Hopper. 3 weeks and zero problems.

n0qcu said:
Taps work fine with duo nodes. I am using one.

The only rules you need to worry about...

1) Entire system must be RG6 if 2 taps are used.
2) There can be no more than 2 connections between any hopper and its linked Joey, excluding the node.
[ IE. 1 tap and 1 splitter, whether its a 2-way or 3-way splitter doesn't matter. ]

Thanks all. I suspect their "Taps are flaky with Duo nodes" are due to issues with violating the "more than two splitters and taps" rule. I'll see if I can convince him to leave a HIC and Tap for me to experiment with on my own (he's at the "both Hoppers installed and downloaded, about to activate" stage). For now I have both Hoppers directly connected to via CAT5, but I'd rather the HIC. This installer has been pretty flexible -- he was perfectly happy to run an extra line for me for OTA to one Hopper for future use (since I won't be diplexing anymore).

gregleg said:
Thanks all. I suspect their "Taps are flaky with Duo nodes" are due to issues with violating the "more than two splitters and taps" rule. I'll see if I can convince him to leave a HIC and Tap for me to experiment with on my own (he's at the "both Hoppers installed and downloaded, about to activate" stage). For now I have both Hoppers directly connected to via CAT5, but I'd rather the HIC. This installer has been pretty flexible -- he was perfectly happy to run an extra line for me for OTA to one Hopper for future use (since I won't be diplexing anymore).

Why woild you rather use the HIC? A directly connected Hopper is best (as shown in the connectivity heirachy).

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Why woild you rather use the HIC? A directly connected Hopper is best (as shown in the connectivity heirachy).

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Because Dish's preferred connectivity for OnDemand may not match what a customer wants for connectivity.

If i want DLNA to my Joeys, then i'd want a HIC.

Plus the HIC is much more flexible and futureproof in the event you change your network or equipment setup.

Dish's hierarchy is based first on cost not real functionality. For now a HIC is the only single point option that connects the entire hopper network and offers full functionality. It seems to be the least problematic by far. This has been pretty well hashed out in the forums and even acknowledged by Dish.

If i want DLNA to my Joeys, then i'd want a HIC.

Ding -- that's exactly my scenario!

Ended up NOT getting the HIC, but I suspect I may add one myself later. So far I'm pretty impressed with the system. Wife's taking a little bit more time to get used to it but likes what she's played with.

The only rules you need to worry about...

1) Entire system must be RG6 if 2 taps are used.
2) There can be no more than 2 connections between any hopper and its linked Joey, excluding the node.
[ IE. 1 tap and 1 splitter, whether its a 2-way or 3-way splitter doesn't matter. ]

I did an Install with 2 Hoppers, 5 Joeys, Duo Node and 2 taps. The client lines were all RG-59 and the Host lines were RG-6 no problems to date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)