DishPlayer 942 is (NOT) out!

prusakolep

Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
The dish player 942 is now listed on the Dish web site. The price is $699 standalone.

Can't wait for the first person to review it!

Mark from DBSTalk will have the first review of, after they we will post our honest review of the unit.

Actually I am looking forward to it. :)

Dishnetwork doesn't have it and they show it as postponed till further notice without any release further release date, I do want one and will have one when they are available no matter what cost. Customer Sales says as of 3/14 postponed

not available

called dish three times today so far. first call said it's only available for lease at $250 plus $50 activation plus $5/month, but only for new customers (guess 4 loyal years doesn't mean anything to them). Second operator said not for lease, only for sale, but delayed. Third operator just said not available.

I'm ready to cancel my account and create a new one with my wife's maiden name if that's what it takes but I will get a 942. Can't stand all this bs.

HAHA I just won a bet, I won't have to do 500 pushups now =D

(bet was, around Jan 15th that "There is no way in hell Dish will release the 942 by the end of the 1st qtr, they are the vaporware Gods")

-Allen

So its advertised on there web site, but no one can really buy one?

Is this true?

There should be a law somewhere for this.

Question about the HDMI output

I have a HDMI input on my Toshiba HDTV. HDMI handles both audio and video. My 6.1 Onkyo Surround Sound receiver does not support HDMI...only digital coax or optical. If I run a HDMI line from the 942 receiver directly to my TV and then run the digital optical audio line from the 942 receiver to my surround sound receiver, will I get sound out of the receiver from the optical since I'm also using the HDMI? Or do I have to use video component cables for video only to my TV and digital optical to my receiver? Just wondering if there would be an audio conflict.

Thanks. I will be leasing a 942 when they are available.

Yes, you'll still get sound out of the optical regardless if your using HDMI. The HDMI cable dish will supply wont pass the audio anyways, so you'd have to buy your own hdmi-hdmi cable if you want to do that.

I would hope the delay is just a supply or distribution problem. If is a software/hardward problem and they rush a patch we could be facing big rounds of bug fixes.

I would like the unit and just wish it will be released (in good working order) very soon. Hopefully Scott will be able to get some info. He is the best at finding out what's going on.

If I had to guess I would say its a software issue. From what I know the hardware is ready and waiting.

I also know they have more then 500 units ready to go but are only putting 500 out there to get a feel for any problems that may be had in the field that was not caught in testing.

BFG said:
Yes, you'll still get sound out of the optical regardless if your using HDMI. The HDMI cable dish will supply wont pass the audio anyways, so you'd have to buy your own hdmi-hdmi cable if you want to do that.

Thanks for the info, BFG. I've got my $250 just waiting to lease one of these bad boys.

Scott Greczkowski said:
If I had to guess I would say its a software issue. From what I know the hardware is ready and waiting.

I also know they have more then 500 units ready to go but are only putting 500 out there to get a feel for any problems that may be had in the field that was not caught in testing.

Comcast announced yesterday that they are going to integrate TIVO's software with Comcast's DVR boxes.

Any chance Dish will make a deal with TIVO after the lawsuit to use TIVO's software and Dish's DVR box? That would be ideal in my book.

dhaberer said:
only available for lease at $250 plus $50 activation plus $5/month, but only for new customers

well...imagine that. :rolleyes: So much for me getting one. While $250 is high for a lease...$700 was/is out of my $$$ range.

With the rebates and other Stuff an HD tivo can be bought for $650 a much better value than the 942

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)