DISH's MPEG4 HD upgrade vs. DirecTV's MPEG4 HD upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Have they all ready shipped it out yet? I need to call them and ask about upgrading a owned 811 to a 411/211 but not to lease it though.

BrettTRay said:
Have they all ready shipped it out yet? I need to call them and ask about upgrading a owned 811 to a 411/211 but not to lease it though.
No. We will be out of town for Christmas week, so I said I would call back when I know I will be home to receive the shipment. The offer is good through the end of January.
As best I can tell, they have no current deals for the purchase of 411/vip211. They just say go see your Dish retailer.

rdinkel said:
My discussion was about upgrading an owned 6000 to a leased 411/vip211. Going the once-a-year Dish'n-it-Up route. The best part is that the lease fee is almost identical to the extra receiver fee you are paying now for second or more owned receiver. So it is really just the up-front cost that you are out. In my case that should be $50 or a net of $25 if I send them my owned 6000 for a rebate.:D

I'm confused here. You are just replacing a receiver, so won't you still have the extra $5 receiver free plus the $5 lease fee?

AndyOI said:
I'm confused here. You are just replacing a receiver, so won't you still have the extra $5 receiver free plus the $5 lease fee?

Thats what I'm was thinking but didn't say anything. I think your right. Why would anyone own anything if when you lease something it removes the extra receiver fee?

BrettTRay said:
Thats what I'm was thinking but didn't say anything. I think your right. Why would anyone own anything if when you lease something it removes the extra receiver fee?

Yeah that was my point. We own everything so I'm not entirely sure, but if you really did lose that $5 extra fee by leasing I'd surely jump on that train.

shanewalker said:
Do you own or lease those boxes? I'm in the same boat and I'm trying to figure out what my total cost as a lease customer is going to be to get upgraded to MPEG4 (1 - 942, 2- 811s). By CES I hope we have a very clear picture...no pun intended.

My 942 and 811 are both on lease.

AndyOI said:
Yes! That is what I am saying. The Dish CSR pointed that out to me. She said that there is an extra receiver fee of $4.99 per month for each receiver on an account--other than the first receiver. But that is only when you own the receiver. When you lease the receiver, that fee is not charged. Instead, you pay only the $5 monthly lease fee. So, the way she explained it, after I pay the $50 up-front cost, it will only cost me one penny a month more to have a leased 411/vip211 receiver instead of my owned 6000 receiver.
I have always had my own receivers. I have never leased them before. Can someone who has more than one leased receiver check their bill and see if they are charged an extra $4.99 a month for each additional receiver--in addition to any lease monthly fee?

Last edited:
rdinkel said:
Yes! That is what I am saying. The Dish CSR pointed that out to me. She said that there is an extra receiver fee of $4.99 per month for each receiver on an account--other than the first receiver. But that is only when you own the receiver. When you lease the receiver, that fee is not charged. Instead, you pay only the $5 monthly lease fee. So, the way she explained it, after I pay the $50 up-front cost, it will only cost me one penny a month more to have a leased 411/vip211 receiver instead of my owned 6000 receiver.
I have always had my own receivers. I have never leased them before. Can someone who has more than one leased receiver check their bill and see if they are charged an extra $4.99 a month for each additional receiver--in addition to any lease monthly fee?

Wow, if that's true I'm leasing a new 411 immediately rather than buying!!

AndyOI said:
Wow, if that's true I'm leasing a new 411 immediately rather than buying!!
My thoughts exactly when the CSR explained it to me. I got her name and id number as well as asking her to document the offer on my account so that when I call back in a couple of weeks it will not be a problem. I would have signed up last night except we will be out of town and not able to receive the receiver shipment.
We still need someone with leased receivers to check his/her bill to confirm that the monthly extra receiver fee is not present.

rdinkel said:
My thoughts exactly when the CSR explained it to me. I got her name and id number as well as asking her to document the offer on my account so that when I call back in a couple of weeks it will not be a problem. I would have signed up last night except we will be out of town and not able to receive the receiver shipment.
We still need someone with leased receivers to check his/her bill to confirm that the monthly extra receiver fee is not present.

Right now I have one 811 and one 522. The 811 is under DHA and I pay 5.00 extra a month for the 522.

These are the line items on my bill, there is a 5.00 a month charge for the 522.

Additional Receiver
Digital Home Advantage with Americas Top 180/Local
Dish Network DVR Service Fee
CBS High Definition East
DISH Network HD Package
VOOM Original

BrianMis said:
Right now I have one 811 and one 522. The 811 is under DHA and I pay 5.00 extra a month for the 522.
These are the line items on my bill, there is a 5.00 a month charge for the 522.
Additional Receiver
Digital Home Advantage with Americas Top 180/Local
Dish Network DVR Service Fee
CBS High Definition East
DISH Network HD Package
VOOM Original

Do you have a lease fee too?

AndyOI said:
Do you have a lease fee too?
No. If you lease the receiver(s) you will be charged a $5.00 Additional Receiver Fee for each receiver beyond the first. If you purchased an additional receiver(s) you will charged a $4.99 Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee...a difference on only 1 cent per month. If you lease, you are typically locked into a programming agreement and must return the receiver(s) upon service termination.

riffjim4069 said:
No. If you lease the receiver(s) you will be charged a $5.00 Additional Receiver Fee for each receiver beyond the first. If you purchased an additional receiver(s) you will charged a $4.99 Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee...a difference on only 1 cent per month. If you lease, you are typically locked into a programming agreement and must return the receiver(s) upon service termination.

Wow, I was under the impression you'd pay both of those so $9.99 a month per extra receiver. Knowing that I'm likely to go lease a 411.

Multiple receivers

I went through the decision (DirecTV vs. Dish) last January and settled on Dish, primarily due to the initial and monthly outlay for 5 receivers - Dish was $15 cheaper per month. I own one 211 receiver, and lease three 211's and an 811. My year is almost up and I want a HD DVR. I tried the ceo@dish.com thing two months ago but since I was under contract for a while yet, no go. I also still want the cheapest per month. Has anything changed in that regard?

riffjim4069 said:

No agreement here, but I would have to return the receivers if for some reason I left Dish.

BrianMis said:
No agreement here, but I would have to return the receivers if for some reason I left Dish.

Still, knowing that I don't see any reason to want to own my own equipment

AndyOI said:
Still, knowing that I don't see any reason to want to own my own equipment
Just placed my order for the vip211 lease under the Dish'n it Up program. My net cost will be only $25 after I trade in my owned 6000. And the added monthly cost is only a penny more each month. It comes with a one-year programming commitment that requires the basic HD package.:D

bbtkd said:
I went through the decision (DirecTV vs. Dish) last January and settled on Dish, primarily due to the initial and monthly outlay for 5 receivers - Dish was $15 cheaper per month. I own one 211 receiver, and lease three 211's and an 811. My year is almost up and I want a HD DVR. I tried the ceo@dish.com thing two months ago but since I was under contract for a while yet, no go. I also still want the cheapest per month. Has anything changed in that regard?
I think you're confused. There is NO WAY you have any 211s. :cool:

rdinkel said:
Just placed my order for the vip211 lease under the Dish'n it Up program. My net cost will be only $25 after I trade in my owned 6000. And the added monthly cost is only a penny more each month. It comes with a one-year programming commitment that requires the basic HD package.:D
Because several folks have started emailing me to buy my 6000, please be advised that it has now been sold. ;) Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)