DISH's second quarter number posted and they lost 281,000 subs

But what your missing is this is nothing new.
Dish has had the cheap entry-level base packages for years now.
It's done nothing.....

The fact that you think Flex is better than say the America HD only packs, Smart Packs, we'll that's just another ones opinion, just the same as mine that thinks Top 200 is better than all those shopping channel packs that are less than $60.

This is not a game changing strategy .
A game changing strategy would be stop pissing off customers with these channel dishputes that don't save anyone money but Charlie.
Stop charging fees for service call when you are already paying for a protection plan.
Stop pissing customer off when they want to switch providers by charging them fees for returning Dish Owned receivers.
Stop telling customers they can't have certain equipment.
Improve your HD PQ for God sake.
Give the potential for customers in the 2nd largest city in the world by actually offering them something in the terms of sports.

And now let's hear the rest of yous tell me it's not Dish or Charlie's fault

But yet another 280,000 apparently see the trend I'm seeing.
I bet Dish loses 600,000 customers this year Minimum.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
A lot of people subscribe to Dish, thinking they could stack account like Directv, only to find some of their receivers got shut down, leaving only one on their account, those people end up discontinuing their service, NBCSports is one of the most sort after channel, which carries the English Premier League

A lot of people subscribe to Dish, thinking they could stack account like Directv, only to find some of their receivers got shut down, leaving only one on their account, those people end up discontinuing their service, NBCSports is one of the most sort after channel, which carries the English Premier League
Is that the new excuse for losing customers. They were all account stacking and got caught.

That's a new one...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

To be fair Comcast just announced they lost 4,000 Video Subs also but they added 220,000 Broadband only subs, what that shows is growth in the cord never/ cord cutters crowd ( for video subs).

This shows is that Dish needs to get off their *** and start doing something with all that spectrum they leased and offer some kind of broadband service.

If people here thinks I am dissing on Dish they are so wrong, I want them to do better, I want competition to keep my costs down, Dish has the best chance of doing that nationwide with that Spectrum unlike ATT/DirecTV where Uverse broadband is limited to certain areas.

Last edited:
To be fair Comcast just announced they lost 4,000 Video Subs also but they added 220,000 Broadband only subs, what that shows is growth in the cord never/ cord cutters crowd ( for video subs).

This shows is that Dish needs to get off their *** and start doing something with all that spectrum they leased and offer some kind of broadband service.

I do think they know that but it probably is harder to do than we can imagine. They certainly have made noise and spent money towards doing that.

If people here thinks I am dissing on Dish they are so wrong, I want them to do better, I want competition to keep my costs down, Dish has the best chance of doing that nationwide with that Spectrum unlike ATT/DirecTV where Uverse broadband is limited to certain areas.
But did you also notice , that Comcast lowered their losses of Video customers 69,000 from a year ago to only 4,000.
Their best 2nd quarter in 10 years.
bc27c7d1fd75136a978529fdc6cefb92.jpg

Cord cutting may have some impact, But where did they go?

Could just be Satellite customers in general that don't want satellite Internet.
Directv still doesn't have a good answer for Internet outside of Uverse country.
ATT 22GB, LTE, Ha, Thats great for cell phone data, but at home I use that in one day .

Unless dish is going to offer something other than Satellite Internet or LTE, and maybe took on Verizon dsl and fiber systems, I don't see any huge benifit saving them as far as Internet bundling goes.

Cell phone bundling may help.
But com'on are we still going to blame the losses lack of bundling?

Sure it's a nice feature, But what provider is showing extreme numbers bundling?
Directv?
Well they were Bought by ATT.
That's doesn't mean customers are lining up because of bundling.
The company as a whole lost 49,000 customers.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Cord cutting may have some impact, But where did they go?

They are at home with the net service they already had, they just eliminated their video service, that is the cord cutters people, the gain in broadband subs ( for example Comcast was 220, 000 in new broadband customers) was the cord never people, here in the US, 4 million born, 2.5 million die every year, been that way for about 30 years, that is where growth comes from, they are choosing to not have video service because they are happy with the programming on Netflix/ Hulu, that is how they grew up.

But com'on are we still going to blame the losses lack of bundling?
That's doesn't mean customers are lining up because of bundling.

That is why I left Sat TV, the bundle discount, but even that monthly bill is starting to be too much, next step is also going net only, almost every show we watch is sooner or later on the net apps and I pay nothing for Netflix/Hulu ( use Reward Zone points for those gift cards), College Football is the only problem.

Reactions: Troch77
I wonder how many of the Comcast losses were mitigated by situations like mine. For years, I've been a broadband only Comcast customer. Last year, I called to see if I could get a better price on my internet, and they quoted me a price that was $15 lower than I had been paying for internet. The catch? It was a bundle of broadband and limited basic TV + free HBO for a year. So even though I'm only using the internet portion of my subscription, the numbers would show that I was a new TV subscriber with Comcast. I just renewed that bundle for the same price this year.

THAT is where Dish is at a disadvantage. They can't hold on to customers (or create new phantom customers) because they don't have the bundles to play around with the numbers.

I wonder how many of the Comcast losses were mitigated by situations like mine. For years, I've been a broadband only Comcast customer. Last year, I called to see if I could get a better price on my internet, and they quoted me a price that was $15 lower than I had been paying for internet. The catch? It was a bundle of broadband and limited basic TV + free HBO for a year. So even though I'm only using the internet portion of my subscription, the numbers would show that I was a new TV subscriber with Comcast. I just renewed that bundle for the same price this year.

THAT is where Dish is at a disadvantage. They can't hold on to customers (or create new phantom customers) because they don't have the bundles to play around with the numbers.

You are not a new subscriber from changing packages.
The number would reflect both, those who left a certain area, and those that went to a certain area,
In the GROSS addtions,
Not Net addtions.
That's why they give you a breakdown.
The over all subscriber count increased.
So while I see where your going, If someone had TV and phone, and never Internet, Than dropped both TV and phone and only decided to pick up Internet you aren't a new customer.
But if you are implying that the 200,000 Internet adds is just moving customers, we'll that could be, But I'm fairly sure these reports shows the actually number off additions.
Which was 115,000 new customers across the board.

Other wise by your suggestion of you taking a bundle pack, they would count you as 2 customers.
They don't do that.
If you had 2 accounts ,YES that counts.

Dish only Chooses to show Internet and TV service in general.
Which shows more a positive position to stock holders.

Which I wasn't even sure you could do with seperate divisions of your service.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

He is saying a lot of new people just sign up for the Internet but are basically given Comcast Basic TV for free.

In many of these markets Comcast has little to no real remaining telco competitors, resulting in users choosing Comcast if they want anything better than 3-6 Mbps DSL. Most of those users, by design, find themselves signing up for TV service bundles they may or may not want, because broadband and television are priced lower than broadband alone. By proxy, broadband bundles and regional broadband monopolies have helped Comcast fend off the exodus they'd otherwise see if users had the choice of more broadband options.

Last edited:
Reactions: dare2be
Even the existing customers, Mitch. Last year was the first time I had Comcast TV service of any kind. You can bet they counted me in the "TV subscribers" count when I wouldn't have been counted before.

Even the existing customers, Mitch. Last year was the first time I had Comcast TV service of any kind. You can bet they counted me in the "TV subscribers" count when I wouldn't have been counted before.
It's not counted as an over all subscriber.
So what if your counted under TV services.
They don't count you twice unless you have 2 accounts numbers.
That's how you get total number of overall subscribers.
There is 115,000 new accounts, whether it's Internet ,TV ,phone or all 3.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

It's not counted as an over all subscriber.
So what if your counted under TV services.
They don't count you twice unless you have 2 accounts numbers.
That's how you get total number of overall subscribers.
There is 115,000 new accounts, whether it's Internet ,TV ,phone or all 3.
/QUOTE]

Comcast does release two numbers, as does AT&T. Broadband Internet and Video Customers are two separate categories, and can be under the same billing account number, and usually are.

Comcast does release two numbers, as does AT&T. Broadband Internet and Video Customers are separate categories.
Did either of yous read the actual report?
I did.

It's not very complicated to understand.
I even posted the picture of the subscriber numbers.

c7ae42967b8149f086e057315737fc6a.jpg

TV subscriber, lost 4,000
Internet gained 220,000
Phone gained 64,000

Net Gain 115,000
Total 28,000,000

Gross was over 58,000,000 described in the picture as well, That's the total in each of the 3 categories.

The 28,000,000 is the Net from weeding out the people that subscibe to multiple offering into single counts.
They break it down into 3 , ones who subscribe only to 1 service, 2 services and 3 services.
Since a single account can't subscribe to 1 service and 3 well that weeds out duplicate subscriber numbers.

Last edited:
How many attorneys' do we have in this thread? Must be quite a few because Dish's Q2 report has been out for a week and some of the die hards are still bickering back and forth.

How many attorneys' do we have in this thread? Must be quite a few because Dish's Q2 report has been out for a week and some of the die hards are still bickering back and forth.
Who is bickering?
If you don't like the show change the channel.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

So, I didn't read through all of this thread, but I had heard about the subscriber loss. I thought I'd add my cancellation experience from the other day, since it was baffling to this thread in case it has any relevancy. Pardon me in advance if it does not. Maybe a DIRT team member will have interest to investigate it. I would think in the current atmosphere of things and numbers like those, they would be very interested in what their retention team is or is not doing.

Over the past year I had been mulling over what to do going forward when our contract expired last month. In today's competitive market, with increasing data caps, Google Fibre coming to our area soon, new streaming services, etc I couldn't ignore the possibilities that open up. When you place Dish with their archaic sub model of increasing prices, constant carrier war outages and down-scaled resolution against the competition, staying with them became harder and harder to think about by the day. Comcast just took our data caps from 300gb to 1tb per month. Doing something like PS Vue and HBO Now at $60/mo (combined) to replace our America Top 250, Plus HBO on an aging Hopper 2k, Super Joey, +2 Joey system at $176/mo suddenly was a no brainer. If I went with my original out of contract plan, to change my LNB, buy a Hopper 3 and 2 4K Joeys, I would have most likely saved nothing and still been paying around $2112 per year. PSVue on the other hand gives me what I want in channels, and modern DVR storage in the cloud system that can not botch missed shows due to rain fade, plus I can turn HBO Now on/off as needed (GoT season) and be at most $720 if I did run HBO Now full time.

I called Dish to discuss exiting. No problem she said, we'll send you boxes, ship back the Hopper and Joey system. Have a nice day, call ended. It literally took 5 minutes max! I had even opened the call in a super passive, "Hey, I'm thinking about cancelling, I'm not sure I can justify the current cost any more and our equipment is ancient"... There were no offers, aggressive win back tactics or shenanigans, nothing. It happened so fast, I was shocked and went through the rest of the day in disbelief. Was I secretly hoping they'd come through with some reason for me to stay, and upgrade equipment? Sorta, but not really, because I want to own my equipment and end paying receiver fee's. Cable companies gave up on box and modem fee's on owned equipment, Dish and D* (if they still do it) should do the same because it's BS. Even if those fee's go away, I also can't see paying more than $100/mo at this point and not getting what I want, full time and at full resolution.

PS Vue has been nothing short of amazing with regards to picture quality in comparison. When you have 3 real 4K TV's like a 75X940D, 65X930D, and a 55X930C you can not imagine until you've lived with them just how bad Dish looks in comparison to anything else that is truly native 1080, etc. A wise person once told me, the most important thing behind the scalers on these 'super' TV's is, garbage in, garbage amplified, really BIG garbage out, and that is exactly what I just figured out first hand having made the switch. Vue has a few little usage bugs to work through (their guide is super weird to get used to), but overall we've been driving the service hard for a month now just to make up our minds.

In the end, it's goodbye Dish for now, I've unfortunately added to your subscriber woes. And for those of you who may remember me from other discussions, I do still have my Wally and 211K in my RV. We'll experiment with Vue on the go, but if needed we can do the monthly pay-as-you-go thing for RV's there if nothing else to satisfy any withdrawals. :rolleyes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts