DISH's second quarter number posted and they lost 281,000 subs

I'm not so sure about that.
If that was the case, Charlie wouldn't drop channels based on low viewship.

He drops channels because he's paying big bucks for channels he claims No one wants.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
It's been discussed many times here over the years. It's how it works.
Dropping a channel for low viewership saves money in the entire package. If there are 10 million AT200 subs, but based on statistics from receivers only 1 million are actually watching the channel, the channel is still getting paid for 10 million subs because that channel is in AT200.

Exactly.
Its a set contract. It's not a per subscriber basis.
Which is what you claimed.
So when you lose overall customers, less and less help pay that bill.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

You're still not understanding me. It is a set contract based on how many subscribers there are for a particular package that the channel is in.

Say tomorrow everyone decided to move to the Welcome Pack. ESPN is not in that package, so they would get no money.

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
Troch77
I'm not so sure about that.
If that was the case, Charlie wouldn't drop channels based on low viewship.

He drops channels because he's paying big bucks for channels he claims No one wants.

maybe he gets angry drunk and drops them at renewal time ...we don't know .....but I got fed up with all the drama that never realized any discounts on my too high bill and egregious incremental fees anyway....... and that was one more reason I jumped ship this mo to D*TV and will never go back as long as they got that Dish TV HD Lite mess ,(fees for everything included else ware ) and if Charlie Doo Doo and his Confederacy of fools are still there . ?

Reactions: rapidturtle
and (other)
You're still not understanding me. It is a set contract based on how many subscribers there are for a particular package that the channel is in.

Say tomorrow everyone decided to move to the Welcome Pack. ESPN is not in that package, so they would get no money.

IOW declining subscriptions = smaller revenues and lower sales units, $$$$ and profits (and the head fool in charge and his conspiracy of fools thinks overcharging and additional fees for things included everywhere else and a few maybe poorly thought out premium and egregiously priced bundles and add on bundles, channels and POV events and the Sling nobody wants will right the surely sinking ship of fools ...........

.Sure sounds like a classic business case study of a failing business model no longer focused on the basics like HD picture quality for one they never focused on anyway to make Dish TV even plausible at a mid premium or premium tier .....

Hey ......but what do I know I just managed at multi nationals OEM's proper & worked with (and in and out of) acquisitions and owned subsidiaries for a few decades *also some good we absorbed or sold and some still around and successful inducing Dunlop Tire (DunlopTyre) NA that may be divested and maybe on its own again soon and some not so good and sold ...some in the failing like EU and rust belt that included steel ,plastics ,composites ,films and petrochemicals and oil pipelines in the S.W.outside of our core businesses and some of our plants around the word and here ...BTW thanks in no part to poor energy and (other) policy's but we never lost focus on the basics and are still a profitable most admired in category (s) world leader (over 100 yrs ) now at the one I was at for maybe 28 yrs and gave me a decent retirement , parachute,the usual real nice executive trinkets and (other) along with invaluable experience and never ending no expense spared training ;)

Last edited:
Man, TT and this forum don't play nice. I can't see my previous post or anything since #110.
But it's fine on the website.

First forum I've ever seen behave like this.

STDog And to free up bandwidth for something else or better quality on what people are watching.

Can't say that Charlie what's his name is at all wrong about rediculous garbage channels and channel groups nobody wants to watch being forced on all the providers by the content gangsters.

I can agree with him 110% there and the content gangsters are criminal enterprises IMO anyway.

It would be good if they spread some bandwidth love there too .....so it appears at least Charlie knows the nuts and bolts under the hood probably as well as anybody in C office suites in the business .

It would be good if they spread some bandwidth love there too.

Dish has in the past. Back before any HD I recall several channels be severly compressed due to limited BW.

I remember improvements when new satellites came online.

No channel I know of is compeessed like that anymore.

Yeah, I guess I should take in consideration Dish is bandwidth starved.

All the distributors are, even cable. It's the biggest limit on what's available.

Where they differ is how they deal with it, how they prioritize.

Hey, tubetwister, the only way DTV equipment looks satisfactory is if you go there from VIP Dish equipment. (Does it make you feel good to shout with bold when no one else here is doing it.)

hey does charlie ever have chats?

originally customers were allowed to call in with real problems. but then dish started heavily screening the callers........ so as to avoid embarasement. trouble is problems couldnt be addressed

then there was that chat that got cut off in the middle of it....... well it appeared someone pulled the plug. charle had made some intersting comments.....

was that the last ever chat

I remember those chats. Scott used to give out gift cards to anyone who mentioned Satelliteguys on the air.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app