Dish's time on the units....

Sassan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Columbus
Anyone else notice that the time that is on the receivers is usually off by almost a minute. A lot of times, my DVR will catch the tail end of the previous program, and then miss like the last 30 secs of the program I record.

I know I can extend record times, but lets say I want to record show A at 8pm, and show B at 830pm...that wont work.

Discuss......

I don't think the time is off. The networks start shows early or late in many cases. The speculation is, and I believe it, to screw with DVR users.

I noticed HDNews' "world clock" time is almost a minute off compared to my atomic synced clock.

I think the networks try to extend their premier shows to get more ad sapce and revenue.
A program like Grey's will push on into Bros & Sisters and forward into Chuck(?).

The other problem is Dish only schedules on the 5-minute step. Some programs like Journeyman (following the "bigger" Heroes) are schedule to start 1 minute after the hour according to the network but not by Dish. That cuts the preview on Heroes. [Sorry, I did not check the correct days for these. Hope you get the principle.]
-Ken

cuz I miss the beginning of end of a lot of shows, on various channels....
What shows ? Granted, those of us with Dish won't be "fair" comparisons, but I've read, mainly over at AVS Forums, about people with DirecTV and various cable companies having the same issue. If it happens with other providers, it's not Dish's clock.

The time at The official US time and that displayed on my ViP622's guide banner are within about half a second of each other.
I asked the chief engineer at my local Time Warner about the accuracy of the clock on their set-tops (I noticed it was very close to the Naval atomic clock also). He stated that they have a GPS unit that gives them their exact location and that they sync to the atomic clock and use the coordinates to make minute (no pun intended) adjustments. They need this accuracy for their DVRs, for one, but more importantly, when they insert commercials, they need to be as exact on their time as they can. They do NOT want to insert a commercial a couple of seconds late and have it run over into a program !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)