dishstandsbyyou gives you a great credit for fox dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Last time I checked, each person who cancels must be replaced by a NEW customer, costing $861. That is called churn.

You can no longer profit from a customer who has cancelled, that should be obvious.

Here it is: each subscriber cancellation costs Dish $861. That is a lot of money any way you slice it. 90,000 times $861 = ??
Roughly $80 million. But that isn't what it costs for a sub to leave Dish. That cost is covered by ETF's for early leavers and then general cost of programming/fees for those that stay the required 2 years. Can't cost too much to lose a sub because the sub has to pay for sending in any applicable receivers.

Now Dish loses revenue with each dropped sub. Assuming $100 per month per sub at 90,000, that is $9 million a month.

But as has been raised, the 90,000 number is unsubstantiated.

Last time I checked, each person who cancels must be replaced by a NEW customer, costing $861. That is called churn.

You can no longer profit from a customer who has cancelled, that should be obvious.
Check again!! :)

While you would hope to replace any that cancel, you don't have to.

I tend to believe what Scott said that the loss of Fox isn't causing as much churn as they thought it would. People will just change to another channel to get news. My dad is a rabid Fox watcher and after getting him credits for the loss of the channel and free premium movie channels for 3 months, has moved on to watching Cnn -like he did before Fox was on, and CNBC for Wall Street stock news. He doesn't even bring it up anymore. People adapt and move on to other substitutes . After all it is just tv .

Saying Fox News viewers were saying they were going to leave, but a lot less then expected were just saying they were going to leave. They have not actually left.
I believe that many of them were not even Dish customers just Fox news fans who are loyal to Fox news.

It happens.:)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: ChadT41
Dish Network can clear this up today by releasing their cancellation and service credit figures. Since the numbers are supposedly so low, I wonder why they won't??

I think it does matter. Low cancellations equals strong Dish Network leverage . . maybe never bring Fox News back unless Fox completely backs down.

High cancellations? Time for Dish to cry Uncle and move on to the next battle.

Dish Network can clear this up today by releasing their cancellation and service credit figures. Since the numbers are supposedly so low, I wonder why they won't??
Why would they? It isn't important to most people and the figures that make financial sense will be in the quarterly reports for those that just have to know.

Anecdotally my ultra-conservative buddy has bitched about this and swears he is going to change to Mediacomm but so far all it is is him bitching. Nothing has changed yet. I suspect that if it goes on long enough he'll get around to it.

Because they feel the need to reimburse their customers that are upset that FNC is not available right now? Doesn't matter if the number is low, there are still probably thousands, tens of thousands of customers that want a channel Dish isn't being allowed to broadcast anymore.

That Dish reimburses them a reasonable credit would fall under the camp of Good Dish policy, not bad.
I think it does matter. Low cancellations equals strong Dish Network leverage . . maybe never bring Fox News back unless Fox completely backs down.
If FNC never came back, I'd have to presume that would also mean the loss of FX, FS1, and every other Fox channel.

You've been told (Fox has said) that this is about channels not involved with the FNC contract. Why do you keep making Dish the bad guy in this dispute.

Reactions: thomasjk and AZ.

Good thing the decision makers at Dish have the numbers and don't have to wait until they are publicly disclosed in the quarterly filings to act on them. I don't see a business case for Dish to disclose exact numbers. What would be the benefit to Dish?

Reactions: Yespage and ChadT41
I tend to believe what Scott said that the loss of Fox isn't causing as much churn as they thought it would. People will just change to another channel to get news. My dad is a rabid Fox watcher and after getting him credits for the loss of the channel and free premium movie channels for 3 months, has moved on to watching Cnn -like he did before Fox was on, and CNBC for Wall Street stock news. He doesn't even bring it up anymore. People adapt and move on to other substitutes . After all it is just tv .
Exactly, just move on to another source for news. Why anyone would cancel because a news channel was lost is beyond me.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
FNC never came back, I'd have to presume that would also mean the loss of FX, FS1, and every other Fox channel.
And the only other Fox would have much impact are maybe FX and OTA broadcast Fox O&Os. None of the others would have much if any impact. The O&Os are the probably Fox's biggest leverage if it gets to that point.

I could see Dish holding out long term if losses are within whatever threshold they set, if not they'll deal.

All the speculation about losses is pointless.

Dish has some sort projection for what this is worth in terms of sub loss, whether it's 9000, 90000, or 900000 they likely won't budge if they are under the target. If they don't exceed projections they will consider it a win, despite whatever numbers are bandied about.

Why should they? Who do they need to convince? Let's say Dish announced today they haven't had a lot of cancellations. Do you honestly think the "Fox Fans" would believe Dish? If they have had a lot of cancellations, why report it?

Just because you WANT to know doesn't mean you HAVE to know.

Dish could prove that the fuss about Fox News is exaggerated , very few cancelled. That would really burst Murdoch's bubble and show how unimportant FNC is to viewers. It would be a brilliant negotiating tool. As for putting out bogus numbers, Dish would be sued by its shareholders if Dish lied about them, and Fox would take them to be accurate.

Your move, Charlie.

Dish could prove that the fuss about Fox News is exaggerated , very few cancelled. That would really burst Murdoch's bubble and show how unimportant FNC is to viewers. It would be a brilliant negotiating tool. As for putting out bogus numbers, Dish would be sued by its shareholders if Dish lied about them, and Fox would take them to be accurate.

Your move, Charlie.
Glad Charlie can make the move, now that you gave him permission. I beleive his move was made on Dec21, after Rupert Murdoch told his shareholders that there was no way Dish would remove the stations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)