Disney Networks Dispute Recitifed

Part of the hassle with losing ESPN is that the NHL allowed ESPN to be the exclusive carrier of a bunch of NHL games. So even having a subscription to ESPN plus, we’re going to miss out. was never an issue with NHL.TV. Here in Hawaii and also Alaska, it seems the NHL Center Ice package with DISH is still only in SD.

Part of the hassle with losing ESPN is that the NHL allowed ESPN to be the exclusive carrier of a bunch of NHL games. So even having a subscription to ESPN plus, we’re going to miss out. was never an issue with NHL.TV. Here in Hawaii and also Alaska, it seems the NHL Center Ice package with DISH is still only in SD.
This is one reason why they need to raise prices. To pay for the NHL contract.

• Haha
Reactions: Yespage
BTW I am hearing these is another company that is in talks with Disney to renew their contract and I am hearing they may walk as well.

Again this could be why it was mentioned on a number of sites that ESPN is looking to sell direct to the customer.

From memory ESPN alone was around $7 of your bill. Wonder if they wanted $8 or $9?

Honestly ESPN is not the sports powerhouse it was a few years ago.
This is where Disney could get into some trouble. If enough providers start to fight back in mass.

ESPN is still available through their app using your Dish account
That’s how I found out ESPN and Dish were no longer playing nice, the ESPN App told me ESPN was not longer part of my video lineup:
1664667561007.png

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
SNL Kagan estimated that for 2021 ESPN was going to pull in $8.97 per cable subscriber. I bet this contract had ESPN itself over $10 per subscriber, and all those channels combined were close to $20.
Apparently I'm the only one who doesn't miss them. I only watch Freeform which I didn't realize had any association with Disney. Fortunately their programming is still available elsewhere.

Isn't Freeform available for free on streaming platforms? Of course then you can't skip the damnable commercials like you can with a Dish DVR.

I put my account on pause and subscribed to YouTube TV. I still have a year left and was planning on cancelling once my contract was up. It sucks that when they cut 20+ of the 120 channels they promised me that I’m still on the hook for ETFs. I was on hold for over an hour so they could read me a script and offer me $5. I’ll probably just end up paying the ETF to be done with them. The Hopper 3 is the best in the business, but it’s pretty useless to me if I can’t watch the channels I’ve paid for.

Glad I have the Regional and National Sports packs and could cancel both on-line. I currently have Wally’s, no way I will pay an additional $15 a month for Hopper 3 at this point when the content is being removed.

I put my account on pause and subscribed to YouTube TV. I still have a year left and was planning on cancelling once my contract was up. It sucks that when they cut 20+ of the 120 channels they promised me that I’m still on the hook for ETFs. I was on hold for over an hour so they could read me a script and offer me $5. I’ll probably just end up paying the ETF to be done with them. The Hopper 3 is the best in the business, but it’s pretty useless to me if I can’t watch the channels I’ve paid for.

So how much do they charge to put your account on pause? I assume when you do that you keep the equipment in place and it just doesn’t work until you resume? Can you still watch shows on your DVR while it’s on pause? Does the time you have it on pause count towards your contract?

So how much do they charge to put your account on pause? I assume when you do that you keep the equipment in place and it just doesn’t work until you resume? Can you still watch shows on your DVR while it’s on pause? Does the time you have it on pause count towards your contract?

It’s $5 a month. The pause time does not count against the contract. You also lose any promos you currentLY have. But yes, you can still access the DVR.

Well I remember the last time they had a dispute with ESPN, the thing is having ESPN crammed into almost EVERY Programming pack there is, so just about every subscriber has ESPN, whether they want it or not.
and it costs the subscriber at least $5 per month, probably more now. I watch the occasional sports on ESPN, but most of the sports that I watch are on FSN.

I don't watch Disney named channels, FX, FXM FXX some shows/movies I watch but I can get that on Hulu also.

It will be interesting too see how long this lasts, ESPN should be A La Carte, that's probably what Dish wants also, but that would be HUGE revenue loss for Woke Disney.

I agree with this statement except during college football season. They’re pretty much king for college football. Especially for the SEC.

Yep. As much as I'm going to staunchly support Dish this is going to hurt them. Others won't be so forgiving and will leave. I'm watching YTTV right now and even if I have to pay for a month or two, or try Hulu Live, I'm going to stick with Dish. Im probably the exception though.

Disney swings a big stick and Dish is a peon compared to them. It would help if another provider is currently in talks with Disney and maybe Charlie can collaborate, others might call it collusion, I do not care. All the content companies hurt linear providers with their streaming services. If anything contracts should be reduced, not increased. Disney probably amounts to 25% of what Dish pays for content. Maybe more? It's got to be the biggest.

Reactions: Jim S. and mwdxer1
This one is simple. I returned to Dish three months ago after being away for six years. If they don't get this thing done by mid-week, I will shut off the account, return to Spectrum, and let them pay the $400+ early termination fee. For some stupid reason, I thought that Dish had gotten past this kind of garbage. Apparently not.

That is, if I can contact them. Phone wait times are noted to be in excess of 54 minutes and then the magic voice says they cannot take your call at this time.

Between AT&T's incompetence and Dish's idiotic stubborness, the two of them will destroy the satellite TV business.

Screw this. Spectrum isn't the most wonderful company on Earth, but at least it does business like a group of adults, NOT a screaming child at a lemonade stand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)