Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
16x9 ED TV
Running at 480P out of an HR24 using RGB cables.

I'll use this as an example all though it happens on other channels.

I flipped over to SyFy and there's Stargate SG1 but it's not filling up the screen.
It's in 16x9 ratio, but it's got a black frame all around it.
I have seen it on other channels during commercials.
Not matter how I changed settings I can't get the black frame to go away.

The next show on (something to do with ghosts) DID fill the screen and was not distorted and no black frame

What's going on?

Sounds like Stargate was not HD and the other program was in HD. Don't believe the guide all of the time.:)

sounds like programming properties as described above as well as native display and setup as possibilities. can you describe your hardware and the display settings used?

sounds like programming properties as described above as well as native display and setup as possibilities. can you describe your hardware and the display settings used?

Panasonic 16x9 plasma display Extra Definition native resolution 480P being feed through RGB cables.
HR24 output set to 480P set to 16x9

Not all shows will fill up the screen. Just because it is an SD channel doesn't mean all content will actually be in HD.

Hmmm, sounds like version of letter-boxing, window-boxing and pillar-boxing. AND / BUT I would set that HR24 to 1080i in the output (my old 480p would resolve this) and then set the receiver to either "original" or maybe "stretch" (done with the format button on the remote) and give those a try to see if you like the end result better.

Attachments

• img_3605.jpg
    img_3605.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 97
Hmmm, sounds like version of letter-boxing, window-boxing and pillar-boxing. AND / BUT I would set that HR24 to 1080i in the output (my old 480p would resolve this) and then set the receiver to either "original" or maybe "stretch" (done with the format button on the remote) and give those a try to see if you like the end result better.

We call it postage stamping at our house. My son watches a lot of SyFy and he sees that frequently. He likes it that way though instead of switching to the SD channel which will get rid of it.

We call it postage stamping at our house. My son watches a lot of SyFy and he sees that frequently. He likes it that way though instead of switching to the SD channel which will get rid of it.

You would think they would try to up-rez it before transmission, but I guess it would look pretty awful.

Thanks for the info, all

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)