POLL: Which discounts/promos did you get on your Spring/Summer 2010 DirecTV order??

What promotions did you take advantage of on your Spring/Summer 2010 DirecTV order?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaj1701

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Rochester, MN DMA #153
Which discounts/promos did you get on your Spring/Summer 2010 DirecTV order??

I'm curious what promotions/discounts/rebates people are taking advantage of at the time of order on their new already placed DirecTV orders.

THIS POLL IS FOR NEW 2010 ORDERS ONLY....not PROMOS added to existing customers!!!

1. FREE HD for Life (or 2yr HD free if you had it added to your previous order)
2. $29mo off 1st year/ $0mo off 2nd year
3. $29mo off 1st year/ $14 off 2nd year (this is regional)
4. AAA $10mo for 2 years
5. $10mo for 10 months being referred FROM a friend (don't select if you referred someone after your install)
6. Dan Patrick add'l $10mo for 1 year + 1yr protection plan (Dan Patrick DirecTV Exclusive Offer)
7. BING 40% cash back on initial hardware/install costs in 60 days from order
8. Best Buy $350 in gift cards via rebate for buying thru them plus $499+ HDTV
9. 5 months of free Premier with Sunday Ticket purchase
10. Other (Target $75, CostCo $250 w/TV, free packages not normally advertised (not free 3mos Starz/Sho), local retail partner offer, etc)

I didn't list the 3mo free Starz/Show as I assume most everyone is taking advantage of that as well as the free HD-DVR and free HD receiver.

Select all that apply to you.

Please post as well so we can see what combination of offers people and if you got anything that wasn't on the list.

Should be interesting.

THANKS!

Jason

ps sorry, in the poll I listed CostCo as $200 with TV purchase...it is $250

Last edited:
I got......

1. FREE HD for Life (or 2yr HD free if you had it added to your previous order) ($240 over 2 years)

3. $29mo off 1st year/ $14 off 2nd year (this is regional) ($516 over 2 years)

5. $10mo for 10 months being referred FROM a friend (don't select if you referred someone after your install) ($100)

7. BING 40% cash back on initial hardware/install costs in 60 days from order ($208)

8. Best Buy $350 in gift cards via rebate for buying thru them plus $499+ HDTV ($350 in gift cards)

Total "savings" from these offers over 2 years..... $1414 + $300 in receiver discounts + $72 in 3 months of Starz/Sho = $1786 - not including the SWM-16, 5lnb dish, the international dish, all the DECA stuff, etc

Also, don't forget to TRY to get the $25 Starz and $25 Showtime rebates on their respective websites for the 3 months of service your getting for free. Some people have it go through even though DirecTV is discounting it to free. Can't hurt to try.

Even though many times a refer a friend will not be allowed when ordering though a partner like Best Buy, it's still on my order which is no longer pending and is being installed tomorrow. It is a bit YMMV, but I have my order email reflecting the discount as well.

Last edited:
Are any of these available to current long time HD subscribers and to get these is it required to sign up for another 2 years??

Are any of these available to current long time HD subscribers and to get these is it required to sign up for another 2 years??

NOPE.

Except.....

You can call in and get 2yrs of FREE HD with Autopay.

You may be able to get a discount on Sunday Ticket.

You can also refer people for $100 savings for you and a friend over 10 months.

Otherwise these are NEW customers only.

BlackHitachi, what happened that you didn't get either the $29/$0, $29/$14, or 5mo free Premium w/ST promo? I see you only got HD for life and a referral. Just curious.

I hate new customer promos.
Existing customers are just cash cows to DirecTV.
The only reason they have the 2yr HD deal for existing is to counter Dish Net.

New customer promos with nothing for the long timers is pretty sad. At least if you call them four times and threaten to disconnect the service they'll give you some of what they'll give away to a customer that hasnt even paid them a dollar.

Its the way things work though. Most companies are run by marketing people who'll spend a billion on advertising and customer promotions but grimace when they have to spend a buck on good customer service and taking care of your long time customers.

I wonder how much in total Directv spent on training, damage control and employee time associated with their 2 year contracts and addressing the tens of thousands of people who call in begging for discounts. Probably would have been a lot cheaper to offer customers a sliding scale for monthly fees with 2nd and 3rd year customers getting an extra $10 off a month for every year they've been on and 5 year customers getting another $10 off. Give anyone who has been a customer for ten years a free premium set or NFLST for free.

I did not put it in the poll, but a buddy that I recommended to D* the other day, got the Premier pack at a very cheap cost, free hd for life, AND free NFLST for this year!

Automobile Association of America. You can get discounts with Direct if you are new sub and a AAA member. I think you have to do this when you sign up.

Automobile Association of America. You can get discounts with Direct if you are new sub and a AAA member. I think you have to do this when you sign up.

Yes, you must call the special # and have your AAA membership handy.

I believe stacking this with an initial referral is a problem as well.

you know what i got when i reactivated my account 5 years ago? squadosh. a month later i begged and got a free h20 upgrade which was sent back 2 years ago.

I got:
FREE HD for Life (or 2yr HD free if you had it added to your previous order)
$29mo off 1st year/ $14 off 2nd year (this is regional)
$10mo for 10 months being referred FROM a friend (not post install referrals)
BING 40% cash back on initial hardware/install costs ion 60 day from order

I got:
FREE HD for Life (or 2yr HD free if you had it added to your previous order)
$29mo off 1st year/ $14 off 2nd year (this is regional)
$10mo for 10 months being referred FROM a friend (not post install referrals)
BING 40% cash back on initial hardware/install costs ion 60 day from order

Keep an eye on your BING cashback account. If it doesn't show up right away, contact customer service. They took care of my missing order within 24hrs.

Glad to finally see someone else taking advantage of BING cashback. Too bad it had less then a month of existence left.

Keep an eye on your BING cashback account. If it doesn't show up right away, contact customer service. They took care of my missing order within 24hrs.

Glad to finally see someone else taking advantage of BING cashback. Too bad it had less then a month of existence left.

Already opened a case with them. Need to get them a PDF copy of my order.

Already opened a case with them. Need to get them a PDF copy of my order.

Let me know how it goes. The good news is the 60 day timer starts on the install date, even if it took days for them to recognize the order.

How much will you be getting back? I'm really surprised other people aren't taking advantage of it (that aren't just getting free receivers of course. It sucks Bing Cashback is ending.

Mods, I noticed a new user called "cdrlawn" just says yes to all in the poll. Is there a way to easily remove his entries so it doesn't through off the numbers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)