Disposing of computers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I've got a couple of old computers that I've kept over the years because of security concerns when disposing them. I've always kept bank account numbers, passwords, ect. on the computers and I worry that someone that's much smarter than myself could get these in their hands and somehow pull this information from them. How legitimate of a concern should this be? Also have had some private pictures and videos that I would like to keep private. Now my town offers a place to dispose of electronic items about once a month or so, but I'm just concerned about doing this. I have done the old right click and delete on these items, but I know that doesn't really get rid of anything. What do most people do with these antiques?

Agreed! That's what I do too. Then I sit them out by the road and the daily scavengers will pick them up within 30 min. I sledge hammer to the drives will make sure no one can recover the data. Lots faster than those software erase programs.

I just brake the IDE connector pins with a hammer but smashing the crap out of it with a sledge hammer sounds like fun. :D Like mentioned above, just remove the hard drive(s) and you can keep them or have fun with them.

I use Darik's boot and nuke. Download the iso. Burn to cd. Boot from cd. Type autonuke and wait. It will wipe your drive and write over the data. I'm sure people will say that the data can still be recovered but I consider this to be good enough. I'd recommend posting the computer on your local freecycle or finding someone local who rebuilds computers and giving it to them to refurb and resell. Someone local may be thrilled to have your garbage. If it's old enough that no one wants it take it to Goodwill. Goodwill has a deal with Dell. Dell takes their computers and gives Goodwill money.

If there is a best buy in your area they will depose of them free as long as you pull the hard drive.Any electronic devices as well up to two a day per house hold. They do charge for a laptop even with hard drive removed but forgot how much. They will pull the hard drive for $20 for a pc but no charge if the drive is removed.

The Scouts had a collection a year or more ago. I dumped a LOT of old stuff. They were shocked at how much stuff they got.

Now, I think I'll just pull the HDDs and heave the husks into the garbage.

Agreed! That's what I do too. Then I sit them out by the road and the daily scavengers will pick them up within 30 min. I sledge hammer to the drives will make sure no one can recover the data. Lots faster than those software erase programs.
I recommend overwriting the entire hard-drive at least 3-times...and then smashing 'em to bits with the always useful sledge hammer.

Also, target practice with a 50 caliber Desert Eagle will smash the drive to bits! but, the sledge is cheaper than that ammunition.

if you have a drill press, you can drill it full of holes all the way through.

all my methods are faster and more secure than the software geeky solutions.

I just brake the IDE connector pins with a hammer but smashing the crap out of it with a sledge hammer sounds like fun. :D Like mentioned above, just remove the hard drive(s) and you can keep them or have fun with them.

Not good enough. The ide connector can be replaced rather quickly. Even the whole board can be replaced with a similar form factor board. I've done that many times.

This is what they look like
2tb-hdds.jpg

Since yours are most likely IDE, it will have a power cable (4 wires: red, yellow a twice black) and a wide flat (40/80 wires) data cable connected to it.
Disconnect them both (pull out), unscrew 4 screws (two on each side) and you should be able to pull it out.

Diogen.

I love smashing the drives with a sledge hammer. Some of them are quite tough and hard to really smash well. Others are like mashed potatoes.

Everyone but me seems to be intent on destroying the hard drive. I consider this a waste of resources.

What program have you guys used to successfully recover data after running darik's boot & nuke?

Everyone but me seems to be intent on destroying the hard drive. I consider this a waste of resources.

What program have you guys used to successfully recover data after running darik's boot & nuke?

Mostly because the data has been migrated off the HD, who wants to wait hours for it to be overwritten. Just faster to smash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)