Disposing of computers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
who wants to wait hours for it to be overwritten. Just faster to smash.

Plus, there is much comfort in SEEING the data is unobtainable.

I consider this a waste of resources.
Only old drives that have no present day value are destroyed, I reuse most drives for backup storage of data until no longer needed then they get destroyed too. It is a waste of electricity to spend hours overwriting data on a drive with a PC when a few seconds with a sledge hammer is cheap and quick.

Smokey, what size hard drives are in the computers? What era cpus are in them (pentium 2 for example)? If the hard drives can be described in gigabytes and the cpu can be described in ghz (versus mb and mhz) then these are useful to someone. Wipe the drive and give them away.

I suspect Gibson Research and a few data recovery companies could do a good job recovering data off drives simply "erased" or reformatted. And probably recover data from more capable erasure s/w. Removing the platters and putting them in a unit that can read just off the center of the tracks is one approach known to work to some degree.

I suspect Gibson Research and a few data recovery companies could do a good job recovering data off drives simply "erased" or reformatted. And probably recover data from more capable erasure s/w. Removing the platters and putting them in a unit that can read just off the center of the tracks is one approach known to work to some degree.

You really want to know what is on the drive to go to this effort. You essentially need a clean room and various drive chassies to match the platters to.

If you smash a drive, unless you damage the platters, the data could be recovered.

If you are trying to dispose of evidence and you think the FBI is watching your trash, good luck.

Otherwise, a simple smash or erasure will keep your data safe. Hackers will not waste thier time with your drive unless they think they can gain valuable information.

Agreed. We're talking extreme measures. Smashing is more than good enough for all of us but the big time crooks.

I like to use a dead-blow hammer on mine, then use the bandsaw to cut them into quarters. Of course the first step before all that is to pass the drive through a large de-magnetizer we have here at work.. makes the platters and heads inside rattle like nobodies business!

Have to admit though, I like the Desert Eagle approach, maybe that can be my excuse to get one to go with my concealed carry permit (although not sure how I will conceal the 50 cal! :) )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)