Distant Network Information

I applied for the RV waiver today (Faxed in the paperwork). Anybody have any idea of how long it takes to get activated? I'm doing it more out of 'spite' to the NAB than for actual need (though the timeshift comes in handy).
Just curious how long I should give them before worrying about a 'follow up'
thanks!

I applied for the RV waiver today (Faxed in the paperwork). Anybody have any idea of how long it takes to get activated? I'm doing it more out of 'spite' to the NAB than for actual need (though the timeshift comes in handy).
thanks!

After nearly 2 weeks of waiting I got hold of a real person by phone. I was on the deny list because my RV registration had "Perm" for the expiry date. They assumed it was a mobile home or some other fixed location vehicle. I showed them the DMV website explaining that some RVs in California get a permanent registration. The distants were then turned on minutes later.

Mitch

Just for the members who may..like myself...be from Puerto Rico...you can now get your distants back from NPS mydistantnetworks. It appears we have been correctly reclassified in the last few days

Originally Posted by jkohnman
thanks!

I faxed my RV waiver paperwork on 12/12/2006 and I received a bill in the mail today for 6 months service. The bill stated the service was from 12/24/06 - 06/23/07. I did not realize I had the service due the the holidays, but when I checked I have the 8 stations I ordered. I am not sure when the service was turned on, but I assume on the 24th.

I did this on 12/11 and still nothing:
1. Apply for waivers here > waiverrequest@mydistantnetworks.com

2. Call local channels you can not receive preferbly outside 100 mile, or B grade, see if they will issue a waiver, addressed to Satellite Provider.

3. Once you receive the waiver. fax it with your phone number to.

Fax :317-558-3838
Attn: Delanie Smily
phone number

After I applied on 12/1 and received the $0.00 charge and I received an e-mail request for receiver #,s on 12/2 and returned that day. Nothing from that either. I sent a couple of other e-mails requesting status and nothing from them either.

I went to my 4 locals and received waivers. I live in a canyon and it is well know that no over the air transmissions can be received there. I faxed the waivers to the above #s. I have called 3 times to speak with Delanie Smily or anyone in the waivers department. None of the CSR's I reached have a clue as to how to handle waivers or how to reach that dept. They simply give you the standard 30-60 days to get waivers. When I tell them I have already received the waivers and sent them in. They quit thinking. I tried a supervisor twice and no response other than try back at the end of 30 days.

After reading all the horror stories of poor PQ. I guess I should consider myself fortunate to have been denied the crap.

I am really looking to get the networks in HD. I don't care if they are locals or distants. Since Direct Tv does not have Lubbock locals, do they have distant HD channels I can use my waivers for. I don't trust moving. I believe Dish will spot beam everything very soon.

thanks!
I faxed and e-mailed my RV Declaration and supporting paperwork on 12/4, and after several e-mails and phone messages, I finally got a call today telling me that my channels should be available by the end of business tomorrow (12/29).

emailed Rv registration in Dec 5th-- followed up with one email about a week later that said it would be 7-10 days.

After 10 days sent email and happened to check channels -- they were on. Didn't get email or other notice they were on and no request for credit card so assume they will send bill.

So answer to your question it took about 12 days plus or minus for mine to go on.
I think they are starting to pick up the pace- and it will probably be better after holidays.

Quality isn't that bad- maybe not as crisp as other channels but very watchable.

considering the alternatives for RVers (nothing) or switching I'm happy to have them.

I would say you should check the channels as they may just turn on.

UPDATE getting my NPS Distant Locals within 48 hours!!!!

Well I had the L.A. Locals with Dish Network,but they are all gone now dammmm lol..
Anyway I went to NPS to get my Atlanta and San Franciso Locals...
Finding out that I need a address is a WHITE area to get the Distants.
I found a very small town in Calif (Ghost type of town}that has no Local stations and only way to watch tv is to get cable or satellite and nothing on a UHf/VHF antenna..
Well I found a Street in Calif(Ghost town} that I can call home lolll and gave it to NPS 2 weeks ago..
Just called NPS a few days ago after 2 weeks, and they took my receiver# and my NEW Address again and my NYC Cellular number..Gave them my Credit card number where they will charge me every 6 months $54,,,so I will not get any bills too my NEWEST Calif address....
Geeeee I cannot believe its this easy to get the distants.....
Just pay by credit card and no bills coming to the address.......I feel like a happy camper now lol..........JohnnyT:hatsoff:

Can NPS carry the networks in HD. Is this possible?? Does NPS have the bandwidth/uplink/feed??? I think Dish should be glad to give it to them. I hate to seem greedy but this would be a great Christmas and make for a better Superbowl.

Currently, NPS is using just one of the transponders on the 119-degree Echostar bird to carry all eight of their channels. HD requires much more bandwidth. For them to carry the distants in HD, they'll need to lease 3 or 4 more transponders, using the current MPEG-2 compression scheme. Not likely.

Last year, DirecTV launched satellites that operate in a higher (less crowded) Ka frequency band. They began loading them up with HD locals, and are using much more efficient MPEG-4 compression. This allows them to put at least 4 HD channels on each transponder, instead of just 2 or 3. So my guess is that when Dish launches their new Ka-Band satellites, that will be when NPS will be able to add HD service to their offering.

I cannot believe all the people complaining about NPS not letting them have Distants...Very easy to ge them
1st find a white area where you cannot get reception with a VHF/UHF antenna
(use antennaweb.org to find a area with a Zipcode}
2nd Once you find a white area you want to use,get a local address from a map.
3rd Call NPS up and tell them you want Distants,Give them you New address and Cellular Number.
4th After a week or 2 when NPS has approved your wavers and your new address.Pay NPS by credit card so no bills will go to the address.....
5th Now you are all set and able to watch you San Francisco and Atlanta stations.
Its soooo easy doing it this way and you have less problems in doing so......JT

I mean you are really paying for the service and not stealing programming.
So you give them a litlle white lie and you are able to watch what you want too.Jt

I mean you are really paying for the service and not stealing programming.
So you give them a litlle white lie and you are able to watch what you want too.Jt

Whether or not you pay for X (and who is to decide what the value of X is in your case?) is not a factor in determining whether or not you committed theft. The question is did you take property without authorization with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of said property. If you object to being labeled a thief, how about a defrauder? You would not have (and could not have) obtained the item of value without intentional deception. Sleep well. I hope you don't have children to whom you are teaching these values.

Thanks for the info, Johnny! Now could you provide some helpful hints to assist everybody in shoplifting and cheating on their taxes?

I cannot believe all the people complaining about NPS not letting them have Distants...Very easy to ge them
3rd Call NPS up and tell them you want Distants,Give them you New address and Cellular Number.
4th After a week or 2 when NPS has approved your wavers and your new address.Pay NPS by credit card so no bills will go to the address.....
5th Now you are all set and able to watch you San Francisco and Atlanta stations.

Naaaa its best to pay you taxes and you should never ever shoplift...
But with Programming thats another story.....
Many people are buying Starchoice satellite programing from Canada with brokers from everywhere....Now tell me thats wrong tooooooooo.....
For the people that have StarChoice its against the law to watch programing from Canada without useing Dish or Directv......Get a life......JT

You forgot a 2 steps:

6th: Get what you want and morality or the law be damned.

7th: Be the first one to complain when your illegal DNS is turned off because the NAB and it's minions memorize posts like yours and go running to the courts for relief showing your illegal service as evidence that the DNS service is being illegally provided to those not qualified under SHVA.

Hummmm I would think the courts should TRY to close down Starchoice first...
Starchoice yea can get all the Seattle,Detroit,Buffalo stations without any problem.
Why pick on the people that want the SF and atlanta stations...Yea I know you need to live in a white area,so what about StarChoice????JT

Hummmm I would think the courts should TRY to close down Starchoice first...
why would they close them down? StarChoice is a legal company. Plus the US courts can't shut them down since they are a Canadian company. They'd have ot work with Canadian courts :)

Starchoice yea can get all the Seattle,Detroit,Buffalo stations without any problem.
you seriously have no clue do you? 1st off its not "all". You can only get up to 2 (one east coast one west coast). Yes there is a way to get all 4 and that is to have a HD reciever since they only carry Detroit & Seattle in HD. ExpressVu & StarChoice can carry those because they are approved by the CRTC (the Canadian version of the FCC) so they are doing no harm by carrying them. ExpressVu carried Boston & Seattle, SC carries the 4 you listed and some cable comapnies carry other cities like Minneapolis (Shaw in Manitoba carries Mpls). But if you live in an area where the Canadian channels are available (say Toronto), when a show is on both a Canadian & American channel they "simsub" the Canadian network over the US Net. So when you watch CSI, the same thing is on both CTV (Canada) and CBS (US) including commercials and crappy quality and glitches if need be.

Why pick on the people that want the SF and atlanta stations...Yea I know you need to live in a white area,so what about StarChoice????JT

StarChoice is a different animal than making up an address to get distants.
I still don't get why you need west coast feeds. You have NY as your legal address (you had mentioned it a few times) so you have a good set of nets already. You're not like somebody in "podunk small town DMA" that has some bad locals that pre-empt everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)