Distant Network Information

Distant on ALL American

Ok guys I read on Dish web page that All american may be able to provide us with distant networks using our own dish net satellite system, how will this work, ? using our own sat recievers and the dish net dish we will be able to receive distants ?

thanks

Ok guys I read on Dish web page that All american may be able to provide us with distant networks using our own dish net satellite system, how will this work, ? using our own sat recievers and the dish net dish we will be able to receive distants ?

thanks
By leasing transponder space from Dish to put the distant channels. You provide your receiver R/S numbers to AllAmerican, and they activate programming via the satellite (if you qualify).

Enhanced locals lost December 1

When the distant networks were pulled we lost access to WMUR Channel 9 from Manchester, NH. This station was never part of a distant local package - I guess it was given to us as an enhanced or widely viewed local. We had it for about 2 months:mad:. As it turns out WMUR is closer than the Burlington VT station we are saddled with by about 30 miles. Since we live in NH we would much prefer WMUR becaue it has local NH news and weather.

Supposedly the local pols are working on getting it back but nothing concrete yet.

Any idea if/when these enhanced locals might return?

Tower Guy,

The United States government mandated the switch to digital television. The FCC needs to find a remedy so consumers within 25 miles or so can receive digital transmissions without expensive OTA antennas.

I have filed a formal complaint with the FCC to investigate increasing the transmit power for WWMT or switching to another channel and allowing a reasonable transmit power specification to receive their CBSHD programming.

When the FCC selected DTV channels for Grand Rapids they were limited by the closely spaced markets between Chicago and Detroit. Someone had to get channel 2, and that station happened to be WWMT. The assignment of channel 2 for WWMT-DT made it possible for them to run both channel 2 and 3 into their analog antenna, so they saved some money back in 2002.

Your desire to save $600 is fine and dandy, but WWMT didn't have a vote, that was your choice. Life is full of choices. Your choice was to save $600. The chief engineer was being gracious to you when he gave you a waiver. Please appreciate his previous generousity.

WWMT-DT will be switching to channel 8 in February 2009. They will be able to run 20 KW on WOOD's current analog channel.

This has nothing to do with SV but rather 17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(i). Why not ask NPS to provide it? By the way "distant local" is an oxymoron. When dealing with network stations (for our purposes, let's limit it to the big 4), there are (1) local stations (which may be and usually are on the FCC SV list) and (2) distant stations - those outside the local area (even if physically closer than some locals), which may be on the FCC SV list for your area). For 119 purposes, only distants are considered SV. If WMUR were SV for all of NH, this special provision would not have been needed.

When the distant networks were pulled we lost access to WMUR Channel 9 from Manchester, NH. This station was never part of a distant local package - I guess it was given to us as an enhanced or widely viewed local. We had it for about 2 months:mad:. As it turns out WMUR is closer than the Burlington VT station we are saddled with by about 30 miles. Since we live in NH we would much prefer WMUR becaue it has local NH news and weather.

Supposedly the local pols are working on getting it back but nothing concrete yet.

I would call NPS and ask to get it , nothing to lose. But call their business number, not the number for ordering distants.
(Call 317-845-4400)

WMUR is classified as a sig. viewed channel and got pulled on 12/1 with the rest of the SV channels and distants.

NPS can't do anything about WMUR...they only deal with the distants, not SV

WMUR is classified as a sig. viewed channel and got pulled on 12/1 with the rest of the SV channels and distants.

Iceberg, reason I said he should call them is they were not letting anyone that was not in the Dish data base given to them get qualified for distants. That got changed. We don't know if that was the plan, or if the thousands of calls from people who told them they would qualify if only NPS would check changed things. Perhaps it would not hurt to call about SV channels.

WMUR is SV for most areas of NH - but not all (e.g. Coos County). It was being distributed under a special provision of 17 USC 119, not as SV. If E* had distributed it as SV then areas such as Berwick, ME would have been eligible. It was pulled because both this special provision and SV both used the 119 license. Again it had nothing to do with SV status.

SV and distant are not mutually exclusive. In FCC parlance, SV could be either local or distant. For 119 purposes, SV is only distant. SV stations have always been eligible for rebroadcast as DNS. It is just that the DBS companies chose not to do so. Probably because (1) At the time even SV counted against the 2/day limit - they no longer do and (2) People who got DNS wanted NY/LA or some other big city. NPS can distribute WMUR as DNS on the same basis as it is doing with San Francisco.

North Platte Nebraska still does not Qualify! We have a local NBC that does not broadcast via satellite and they are screwing us out of our other locals. THIS BITES!! I just tried All American Direct and they say at this time we don't qualify.

people who own rv

what do you have to do to get a RV waiver for distant networks through the NPS system ?

Can NPS carry the networks in HD. Is this possible?? Does NPS have the bandwidth/uplink/feed??? I think Dish should be glad to give it to them. I hate to seem greedy but this would be a great Christmas and make for a better Superbowl.

SV and distant are not mutually exclusive. In FCC parlance, SV could be either local or distant...

In theory that may be true, in practice people interested in SV locals, for the most part, are not the same as those interested in getting disant locals. I speak as someone who has had both. With cable, I used to get "SV locals" (NYC and Hartford DMA's). With Dish, I had waivers for some distant networks and enjoyed time shifting capabilties of getting Chicago, Denver, or LA distant locals (also great for NFL broadcasts I must admit).

People getting the SV locals are mainly interested in the local content such as local news, of the SV station (which may be more local than their asigned DMA). With SV locals we get no time shifting benefit, so the network programming is the same, so there is no benefit to watching the SV local over the DMA local, unless it is physically closer and the ads are more relevant.

I understand what you are saying and don’t necessarily disagree. The points I was making were somewhat different: (1) There is no such thing as a “distant local.” “Distant” and “Local” are two different mutually exclusive concepts. (2) That (as the FCC defines the term) SV could be a local station or a distant station. (3) For DBS purposes, SV local stations are specifically excluded in the licensing under 17 USC 119 (probably because they are handled by the provisions of 17 USC 122). For example, let’s take Coos County, NH. It is in the Portland-Augusta, ME DMA and has the following Big 4 local set:

WCSH (NBC) - Portland, ME
WMTW (ABC) - Poland Spring, ME
WGME (CBS) - Portland, ME
WPFO (FOX) - Waterville, ME

Now of these local (“LIL”) stations only WPFO is not SV. This may be due to the fact that the station wasn’t around when the SV list was constructed (even if it had been, it would have been non-Fox) or for some other reason. I don’t know the history of WPFO.

Also for Coos County, WCAX, the CBS affiliate in Burlington, VT (Burlington/Plattsburgh DMA) is SV.

So from the standpoint of a subscriber in Dixville Notch, NH there are three SV Locals, one non-SV Local and one SV distant. Of course there are hundreds of non-SV distants (every other station in the country) but none of them are of interest unless a subscriber is receiving DNS.

Now for a time Coos County (all of NH, in fact, except where it is LIL) could receive WMUR (ABC) – Manchester as DNS. Contrary to popular belief, WMUR was not being provided under the SV provisions but rather a special provision in the law [17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(i)] obtained by Senators Sununu and Gregg. The idea was that all New Hampshirites should be able to view the most influential station in the state. Now all E* DNS is gone, so only NH residents who are in the Boston DMA, where it is part of the local package, have WMUR. If it had been rebroadcast (only) under the SV provisions, Coos County could not have received it while parts of Maine could have. Most people are unaware of the “special four” and thus assume that stations covered thereunder must be SV or Local or Superstation or something else. Even the Echostar Database has this wrong.

Why is this important? Whenever a court or Congress changes the law with reference to SV, neither WMUR nor any other of the three exceptions would automatically change. Now I rather doubt that the politicians who pushed for these exceptions would let them fall through the cracks in any new legislation but you never know.

In theory that may be true, in practice people interested in SV locals, for the most part, are not the same as those interested in getting disant locals. I speak as someone who has had both. With cable, I used to get "SV locals" (NYC and Hartford DMA's). With Dish, I had waivers for some distant networks and enjoyed time shifting capabilties of getting Chicago, Denver, or LA distant locals (also great for NFL broadcasts I must admit).

People getting the SV locals are mainly interested in the local content such as local news, of the SV station (which may be more local than their asigned DMA). With SV locals we get no time shifting benefit, so the network programming is the same, so there is no benefit to watching the SV local over the DMA local, unless it is physically closer and the ads are more relevant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts