Distant network signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

misbe

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Gibsonia, Pa
What conditions does one need to meet to qualify for distant network signal from dtv? Not having access to local affiliate over the air signal is one. Are there any others?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I am not a true expert. The typical answer would be that Direct TV is not currently providing locals in your area and you are unable to pickup an over the air signal for that network. There are exceptions. For example, cable is not in my area and my local CBS and NBC broadcast on the same frequency (40.1 NBC HD and 40.2 CBS SD). My local broadcaster lets me get both out of market stations so that I can watch each in HD and record when there are things I want to see on each channel (CBS and NBC). For me all it took was a nice letter to that station.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Excellent. Thanks.
The FCC website says that since I don't get OTA signal, and dtv provides the local channel (when they are not in a dispute with local channel) I need to request dtv to ask local channel to allow me access to distant network signal. Local channel has 30 days to respond. If no response it is treated as a waiver and I can get distant network signal...unless dtv decides they don't want to provide said signal.

So after spending 2 hours on phone with dtv talking with 5 different folks in 3 different departments, it looks like dtv does not even want to send a letter for the requested waiver. Meaning even if the waiver was to be provided dtv would not want to provide the signal.

At what point do you say enough is enough??

You have ONE other option. Get a Old Broken down RV and use the registration to request an RV Exemption from DirecTV so you can receive New York and or LA Network signals.

John

Either an old RV or a new satellite dish

it is up to you to ask for the waiver. i could never get dish or dorectv to do it, before my local was carried.

and if there is a dispute, i doubt the local would grant it.

You won't get a waiver if Directv is providing locals to you and you simply don't want those. Doesn't matter if you can get them OTA or not. If Directv does not provide locals to you just because you can't get them OTA alone is not enough if a Waiver is not granted. You have to find out if with a better antenna etc you could. There is a process to qualify you that you can not actually get OTA and what networks you can't get.

In addition, you can NOT ask for a waiver on your own that is not correct information. It has to go through your Satellite provider. You stated Directv does have your locals so that is why Directv is probably not submitting a waiver, and they are under no law that make them in any case.

"6. How do I know if my household is “unserved” with respect to over-the-air television broadcast stations?

All full power television broadcast stations are required to transmit their signals in digital format. The FCC has created a computer model for satellite companies and television stations to use to predict whether a household is served or unserved with respect to digital signals. The satellite company, distributor or retailer from whom you obtained your satellite system and programming should be able to tell whether the model predicts that you are “served” or “unserved.” The FCC does not provide these predictions.

If your household is predicted “served,” you are not eligible for distant stations unless the station predicted to serve you grants you a waiver. You must ask your satellite company to request a waiver from the television station on your behalf. The station has 30 days from the date it receives the request to either grant or deny it. If the station does not respond within 30 days, the waiver is considered granted and the satellite company can provide the distant signal. However, the satellite company is not required to provide distant signals and may decline to do so or may choose to wait longer than 30 days before doing so.

If the station denies the waiver, you can request a signal strength test be performed at your home to determine whether the TV station’s signal meets the FCC’s signal intensity standard for digital signals. Although the satellite carrier is not required to act on your request, if the carrier does accept it, the test should be performed within 30 days after the date it was submitted. The test must be performed by an independent tester selected by the satellite carrier and the TV station. If the satellite carrier requests the test and the station’s signal exceeds the signal intensity standard, the satellite carrier pays for the test. If the station’s signal does not exceed the signal intensity standard, the station pays for the test. If the satellite carrier does not act on your request and you reside in a DMA where the carrier does not offer local-into-local service, you can arrange for the test yourself. You will have to pay for the test no matter what it shows and the price may include the cost for the tester to come to your home. The test must still be conducted by an independent tester that both the network station and the satellite carrier have approved. If a satellite company and the TV station are unable to agree on someone to conduct the test, the FCC has designated the American Radio Relay League (“ARRL”) as the independent and neutral entity to approve the proposed tester."

Thanks. I saw that, too.

Spoke to dtv retention and asked if they would submit waiver for me. Told them that their answer would help me make decision to stay or go. Dtv said they would do it but it would take about 45 days to get all their approvals. I said let's get the process started. At least I'll have the waiver in place next time this happens.

Reactions: Tampa8
Looking up the OP's location based on the location they provided here they are in the Pittsburgh DMA. The Hearst stations in their market are off due to the ongoing Retransmission dispute. A quick TV Fool search seems to indicate that all the local stations should be fairly easy to pick up with a properly aimed antenna. I'd say that is your best option at this stage. Even at 10 feet the disputed stations are showing as "Green" for that zip code which means you should be able to easily receive them even with an indoor antenna.

Even if you went out and found an RV registration to qualify for DNS service it takes at least two weeks (or more) to get that turned on. By then the dispute will likely be over. The only other option would be to tell DirecTV you "moved" to a neighboring market that doesn't have a dispute going on. Even if you get them to ask for a waiver you're not going to get it.

Looking up the OP's location based on the location they provided here they are in the Pittsburgh DMA. The Hearst stations in their market are off due to the ongoing Retransmission dispute. A quick TV Fool search seems to indicate that all the local stations should be fairly easy to pick up with a properly aimed antenna. I'd say that is your best option at this stage. Even at 10 feet the disputed stations are showing as "Green" for that zip code which means you should be able to easily receive them even with an indoor antenna.

Even if you went out and found an RV registration to qualify for DNS service it takes at least two weeks (or more) to get that turned on. By then the dispute will likely be over. The only other option would be to tell DirecTV you "moved" to a neighboring market that doesn't have a dispute going on. Even if you get them to ask for a waiver you're not going to get it.
If you check my address wtae isNOT able to be received. You can even come visit and I'll show you that wtae is notable to be picked up ota. If it were I wouldn't be putting myself through this aggravation.

you wont get a waiver

You're right. The folks at dtv in charge of the dns say I'm not able to get it because there is a provider of locals in my area (dtv). But I explained to them that dtv is not providing the service. I explained that the FCC does not prohibit dtv from requesting a waiver from wtae. They didn't understand that. Just kept saying I wasn't eligible for dns.

file for the waiver yourself
the station will require a signal test, and not with your tv, but a signal meter
you will have to pay for that test
read this
https://www.att.com/ecarecms/dam/att/2016/support/docs/DNS-Fullfilment-Letter.pdf

This is not correct for his situation things are getting mixed up.
DIrectv DOES PROVIDE that channel, WTAE. That makes any signal test a waste of time, it will not allow him to get an out of Market station from Directv regardless of him able or not able to get it OTA. He would need a waiver, no signal test needed from WTAE and that has to be done from his Satellite Provider. The chances of WTAE allowing it is about zero particularly because they are in a dispute. The dispute is the only reason Directv is not providing the channel, that does not entitle Directv to provide another one or for someone who can not get it OTA to get a Distant. If he can persuade Directv to submit the waiver that is his one in a million chance and it appears he has persuaded them to.

Reactions: Troch77
This is not correct for his situation things are getting mixed up.
DIrectv DOES PROVIDE that channel, WTAE. That makes any signal test a waste of time, it will not allow him to get an out of Market station from Directv regardless of him able or not able to get it OTA. He would need a waiver, no signal test needed from WTAE and that has to be done from his Satellite Provider. The chances of WTAE allowing it is about zero particularly because they are in a dispute. The dispute is the only reason Directv is not providing the channel, that does not entitle Directv to provide another one or for someone who can not get it OTA to get a Distant. If he can persuade Directv to submit the waiver that is his one in a million chance and it appears he has persuaded them to.

he was claiming he would qualify for a waiver because he couldnt get a signal

he was claiming he would qualify for a waiver because he couldnt get a signal

Yes, and he may not be able to but that has no bearing if his Satellite provider carries his local, and it does. Disputes don't change that, ability to get or not get that local OTA doesn't change that. WTAE could under any circumstance give a waiver that was submitted by Directv, it is their call but it is rare for a local to give them anymore and not when there is a dispute and it would give a runaround to getting their programming from someone else.

Reactions: Troch77
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)