Distant Networks In HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Richfunb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I've had the Distant Networks in SD from New York and Los Angeles lsince 1996. During the past weekend, DirecTV suddenly turned on the HD versions of all 8 channels without any advance notice. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not complaining. But I'm wondering the reason this happened and if the change is permanent.

I'm pretty interested in this since I have the same "distant channels" arrangement that you mention. By "turning on" do you mean Directv has converted the SD channels 380 to 389 to HD or they have enabled you to receive the HD versions on channels 390-399. The last time I tried the latter, they came up as "not part of your purchase package" and I couldn't get them. I've tried suggesting to Directv several times that since I have the distance channel package AND have HD access, I should be able to get them in HD on the 390-399 channels, but they always respond that those aren't included as part of the distance channel offering. Are you saying that now they are? I don't understand why HD isn't available on the distance package since it is readily available to Directv from those markets.

There are a couple of threads on the other forum concerning this.

Sunday, DirecTV did indeed turn on the HD DNS channels in the 390s range.
For me that was the west coast feeds as I had the east coast ones already.

Still confused too. The HD network channels in the 390 range have been listed in my guide for a long time, more than a year for sure, but I've never been able to use them. I just tried them now and still get the message - "channel not purchased" (and they're blanked out on my guide as non-available channels). I've always been able to access the SD versions of these in the 380 range. What do you mean by "turned on"? Weren't these enabled before? How would I go about getting the 390 channels??? I have HD access.

DNS in HD

You do have to sub to these channels and you only get East or West. Not both like SD. Unless you specifically ask to have them you don't get them. But they have been available for the three years i have had DTV.

Another interesting item, DTV added the NY DNS stations as my local channels in the 60's channels range. I was disappointed by this. I was hoping they would make Columbus Ohio available to me.

Confused. I've had the DNS in HD (NY) for almost three years. The channel numbers are 390+.

True, but now the west coast feeds have been turned on for those that have the east coast ones.

Still confused too. The HD network channels in the 390 range have been listed in my guide for a long time, more than a year for sure, but I've never been able to use them. I just tried them now and still get the message - "channel not purchased" (and they're blanked out on my guide as non-available channels). I've always been able to access the SD versions of these in the 380 range. What do you mean by "turned on"? Weren't these enabled before? How would I go about getting the 390 channels??? I have HD access.
If you get the SD versions on the 380s and they are listed on your account as Network:... and are paying for them, then you should get the HD versions. Call DirecTV and ask why you aren't. Do you get your locals in HD? If so, then this may be why. Locals trump DNS if you didn't have DNS before locals were turned on. Or something like that. :) The rules are changing fast.

Last edited:
True, but now the west coast feeds have been turned on for those that have the east coast ones.

If you get the SD versions on the 380s and they are listed on your account as Network:... and are paying for them, then you should get the HD versions. Call DirecTV and ask why you aren't. Do you get your locals in HD? If so, then this may be why. Locals trump DNS if you didn't have DNS before locals were turned on. Or something like that. :) The rules are changing fast.

I thought that the DNS feeds are only for ones living in an 'unserved' household or don't get locals on satellite. Also, I thought if you have the HD DNS feeds say if you live on the West Coast, you can't have the NYC HD feeds, only Los Angeles HD Feeds (say for example: Eureka, California).I thought if you have local-into-local serivce on satellite, you're forced to watch it instead of DNS because of this silly law. I know that the STELA law is discriminating to served households.

I live in the Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina market, our NBC affiliate (WYFF 4) does not air the fourth hour of The Today Show (with Kathie Lee and Hodi), instead they air Rachael Ray. Actually, they delayed the thrid hour by an hour in order to show Live! with Regis and Kelly at 9am. Therefore, people in this area have been denied to watch Today's fourth hour on NBC unless if you got a great OTA antenna and picked up another NBC affiliate from an ajacent market like for example: WIS 10 out of Columbia, SC and they do carry the fourth hour, so you're in luck. Also our market doesn't carry some syndicated shows like Nate Berkus for example or reruns of Lost and Ugly Betty. Fortunately, the latter is rerun on TV Guide Network.

I thought that the DNS feeds are only for ones living in an 'unserved' household or don't get locals on satellite.
correct
Also, I thought if you have the HD DNS feeds say if you live on the West Coast, you can't have the NYC HD feeds, only Los Angeles HD Feeds (say for example: Eureka, California).
yep was posted in another thread. But they use to have where you could have both
I thought if you have local-into-local serivce on satellite, you're forced to watch it instead of DNS because of this silly law.
its not silly. Its the law...and we've been down this road numerous times so I'm not going to argue with you
I know that the STELA law is discriminating to served households.
really??? how??? You are getting your locals. Without STELA, SHVIA, SHVA, SHEVA, and whatver acronyms they used we'd have NO networks on satellite. NONE. NO locals, no distants..NON. SHVA allowed C-Band subs to get networks and that started it.

I live in the Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina market, our NBC affiliate (WYFF 4) does not air the fourth hour of The Today Show (with Kathie Lee and Hodi), instead they air Rachael Ray. Actually, they delayed the thrid hour by an hour in order to show Live! with Regis and Kelly at 9am. Therefore, people in this area have been denied to watch Today's fourth hour on NBC unless if you got a great OTA antenna and picked up another NBC affiliate from an ajacent market like for example: WIS 10 out of Columbia, SC and they do carry the fourth hour, so you're in luck. Also our market doesn't carry some syndicated shows like Nate Berkus for example or reruns of Lost and Ugly Betty. Fortunately, the latter is rerun on TV Guide Network.

so whats the point? There is no law that says "thou shall carry all programming out there"....also syndicated is just that...syndicated. Affiliates dont have to take it if they dont want to. Its up to them. There is lots of syndicated shows that I cant get on satellite because the station isnt on Directv (KBJR-DT2 My Network). Should I be mad because the Minneapolis station shows 2 episodes of 2 1/2 men and my local (Duluth, MN) only shows 1 and thats at like 11:30 at night yet they can show 10 paid programs during the day?

My back story. I was able to get SD waivers for the four networks quite a few years ago (before HD). My area didn't have locals. (Still don't).
So you could say we were/are an unserved area. So I paid for the NY and LA networks. When DirecTV started HD service, the NY and LA versions were turned on at no extra cost. A year or so went by and it was determined that I was no longer going to get the LA feeds. Fine, no problem here.
So, something changed and DirecTV turned the west coast feeds back on. I am now waiting to see what happens when our HD locals do get carried next month and whether the grandfathered DNS has any teeth in it. I do realize that DNS can be turned off at the will of the local station. If worse come to worse, I'll save about $11 a month. :)

correct

yep was posted in another thread. But they use to have where you could have both

its not silly. Its the law...and we've been down this road numerous times so I'm not going to argue with you

really??? how??? You are getting your locals. Without STELA, SHVIA, SHVA, SHEVA, and whatver acronyms they used we'd have NO networks on satellite. NONE. NO locals, no distants..NON. SHVA allowed C-Band subs to get networks and that started it.

so whats the point? There is no law that says "thou shall carry all programming out there"....also syndicated is just that...syndicated. Affiliates dont have to take it if they dont want to. Its up to them. There is lots of syndicated shows that I cant get on satellite because the station isnt on Directv (KBJR-DT2 My Network). Should I be mad because the Minneapolis station shows 2 episodes of 2 1/2 men and my local (Duluth, MN) only shows 1 and thats at like 11:30 at night yet they can show 10 paid programs during the day?

I would say it's freedom of choice.

WOO HOO!! This is great news. I've had CBS and FOX DNS since '96, old time waiver that still gives me the feeds but was only able to get the HD waiver in 2001 for CBS and that only gave me the east coast feed. Just checked this morning and now have HD feeds east and west feeds for both networks. Life is good!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts