DIY Install. Good idea?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

deniro

Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I am looking to order DirecTV very soon. My house is new so already is wired for RG6 inside, and I can easily run an extra line to the 1 or 2 rooms that will need it for a DVR. The dish location will be close to where the wiring goes into the house, so it won't be a long run of cables.
My big question about doing the install myself would be how to mount the dish. If it is pole mounted, would that be better than roof or side of the house? If it was, and since that is not included in a free install, than I might as well do it myself.
As for mounting to the side of the house, would it mess up my siding or anything, with it being a new house. I guess I'm kind of anal about it being new and not wanting it to get messed up.
Anyway, my big question about a DIY install is the dish and mounting it. If someone else installs it, it seems that a pole mount is not included as part of that. If a pole mount is better, than I'll just do it myself for those reasons.
I enjoy doing things like this myself, but I guess I just don't understand enough about the dish-mounting part of it to make me feel that mounting one on the side of the house (or roof) will be good enough, look ok and not screw up my new house. Any help with this?

Being an installer we typically mount them on the house itself, unless there is a Line Of Site issue then we may have to use a pole mount. Is there any brick where you are considering mounting the dish? If so I would use that area first. It all comes down to if you have a clear line of site from where you intend to mount the dish. If you can take the free install and let the installer know your concerns beforehand. Most of us take the time to actually listen to the customer and try and mount the dish if possible where the customer would like it. If you have any other ?'s I would be happy to help! :)

The house is siding, but the lower few feet are concrete block with brick exterior. Line of sight should be ok and not need a pole mount. I guess I should just have an installer do it and talk with them as you suggest. I have enough wiring for my current use, so an install would mainly just consist of the dish mount and then hooking the boxes up.
I'll look into ordering it tomorrow and getting the install done by someone. Hopefully there isn't a backlog in my area.

As long as you haven't had big weather problems in your area (If the order goes through DirecTV) then it's usually 1-3 business days including saturdays. Hope your expierance goes well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)