DIY upgrade to 3 LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jules77

Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
I found a HD reciever and a 3 LNB dish on craigs list, and now having a couple questions.

1. The new dish appears to have a built in switch- The old dish had 2 lines coming out (mutliswitch in the basement), and the new one has 4 outputs. I'm assuming that you can't run from switch to switch. I have a standard def DVR with dual tuners, and a standard reciever . Do I need to run a 3rd line from the dish to the basement so I can take out the multi switch?

2. Back in the old days I installed my own dish but always had trouble getting a signal. Is aiming this 3 LNB dish going to be a nightmare comparatively? Any tips?

I could just call D* and have them install a dish for me, but I really want to have the flexibilty of not having a contract.

Thanks!

WELCOME!

Just to ask - you are aware that this dish model (for HD) is outdated? To take advantage of all the new HD you need the 5LNB models.

Phase 3 dish is useless for HDTV ther is only about a half dozen channels that can be tuned with it. You will need a 5 LNB Slimline dish and a MPEG4 receiver if you want HD.

First off, welcome to the forum.

Now to answer your questions. With your current setup, I would run 3 lines or 4 into the home for future use. The DVR will need two lines if you want to take advantage of having dual tuner support (watching 1 show while recording another or recording 2 shows at once). The standard receiver only needs one line to it. If you do decide to go with the forth line, it would be usefull if you ever want to add more receivers in the future. You will not need a "switch" installed in your home persay. If you do want to a multiswitch for later or additional receivers you can get one later.

To answer question 2, aiming or installing the 3 lnb dish is just as easy as the single round dishes in my opinion. Just follow the on screen instructions on the receiver during the setup and make sure the allignment and tilt are set up. When tuning it aim for the 101 satellite and peak the dish with the 101. The others will all fall into allignment.

Hope this helps. There are a few multiswitches you can get in the future if you ever want ot add recivers so I didn't get to deep into that. I don't want to make things any more confusing. On a side note, you may want to hold of on the 3 lnb and just go for the new 5 lnb Slimline dish. It will give you the most options for upgrades in the future and most likely won't cost that much more. Those too, install pretty easy I find.

anyone know off hand what channels I can recieve with this setup in HD? I really want the local channels, and FSN at the minimum. Anyway to get an upgrade without commiting to D* for another 2 years? If I get a 5 LNB dish will this Samsung TS-360 pick up a majority of the HD channels?

To get the HD channels you will need a 5 LNB dish (check ebay if you don't want commitment) and a mpeg 4 reciever. Either the H20, H21, HR20, or HR21. The H models are non DVR and the HR models are DVR models.

If I get a 5 LNB dish will this Samsung TS-360 pick up a majority of the HD channels?

Your answer is NO. You will not get the majority of HD channels with that receiver.

Here are the channels that would be available to you.

HBO HD
Showtime HD
ESPN2 HD
ESPN HD
TNT HD
HDNET
Universal HD
HDNET Movies
HD Theater

The only real way you would get your locals in HD is via OTA with that receiver.

Your answer is NO. You will not get the majority of HD channels with that receiver.

Here are the channels that would be available to you.

HBO HD
Showtime HD
ESPN2 HD
ESPN HD
TNT HD
HDNET
Universal HD
HDNET Movies
HD Theater

The only real way you would get your locals in HD is via OTA with that receiver.

And the channels you list will be moving to MPEG-4 starting later this year.....they will probably all be gone to the new satellites by mid-2009, so you won't be able to receive them with the Samsung by then.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)