DLNA

larryf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
Has DLNA started working or has everyone just gave up and moved on? I am still waiting to hear that it does before I decide to upgrade. Otherwise I am happy with what I have.

See newly released release notes for S207. Lots of Home Media fixes in there.

From my own experience and reading through the DLNA threads on this forum, it still isnt reliably working for most people. Even the people who have said they've gotten it to work have said it isnt compatible with all media formats. It seems to handle music OK, but in terms of video, there is a lot of incompatibility.

If you already have a means for streaming DLNA content in your home, I recommend sticking with that. There are several EXCELLENT devices out there such as the Roku, or the WDTV. You can even use an Xbox360, a PS3, or an AppleTV if you have one. If you are really inclined, you can get the best experience by building a purpose built home theater PC running XBMC or something similar. All of these options will work better than the Home Media function of the Dish Network DVR.

Yes, it would be nice if it worked, but by no means should it be a dealbreaker for upgrading. The Hopper is a great device and I have no regrets getting it, even if this one feature doesnt work yet.

The new software only went out to about 400 people, so many have not tried it yet.

For me I got the update and my DLNA is working. :) Now I just got to choose the best DLNA server software for my needs. :D

The new software only went out to about 400 people, so many have not tried it yet.

For me I got the update and my DLNA is working. :) Now I just got to choose the best DLNA server software for my needs. :D

TVersity is what I have used for 4 years with my Xbox 360's. I have had good luck with it and I like the options it gives me in regards to how it transcodes (if necessary). I've yet to try this feature on my Hopper/Joey, as I am happy with the way it works via Xbox.

I posted my thoughts in the huge DLNA thread thats been on here a while, but in case others don't want to go through it, my thoughts (in a nutshell) are:

TVersity and Serviio worked the best for me. TVersity has a unique feature in that the DLNA server can stream your video to an internet web browser which is nice because you dont even need to use client software and if you have a public webserver in your home (like I do), you can stream your own videos to yourself over the Internet. I ended up going with Serviio however because internal media was more important to me. My entire media library was created with the intent of being used in XBMC, so EVERYTHING I have (8+ Terabytes) is already scraped for XBMC, and Serviio is the only DLNA server that can read XBMC XML data.

Serviio also has a nice interface that is compatible with Windows Home Server 2011's dashboard. Even if you are not using WHS2011, it has a nice config tool that allows you to assign profiles to specific IP addresses on your network, whereas most DLNA servers rely on auto detection.

PlayOn is a nice package, but it was originally designed as a web streaming service. DLNA capability was recently added and is still in beta, so the featureset is not rounded out as much as with Serviio or TVersity.

Plex Media Server is another option which has what looks to be an excellent feature set, but like PlayOn, DLNA capability was recently added and has a lot of bugs. There are very few profiles for devices, and the majority of devices require trial and error manipulation of an XML file. Another nail in the coffin for people like me who run servers, is that Plex cannot run as a Windows Service. This means that it requires a user to be logged in at all times to get the program to stay running. All 3 other options (Serviio, TVersity, and PlayOn) can run on a server without leaving someone logged in. There is a huge thread on the Plex forums where people are requesting this functionality and offering workarounds. None of the workarounds work well, however, so until this feature is actually implemented, Plex is not an option for people with actual servers in their homes.

I have Mezzmo playing mkv h264 dts, avi with mp3 & ac3, and jpg photos. The videos are transcoding on the fly to mpeg2 (I think) and ac3 MULTI-CHANNEL. Multi-Channel was a must for me. I haven't been able to get any of the other mentioned dlna servers to give me multi-channel.

ich one transcodes .ISO Bluray rips? When I first started ripping my collection I was doing all ISO's...

But a few months ago I switched over the MKV..

I dont want to re rip all the Blurays again in MKV format. :D

Has DLNA started working or has everyone just gave up and moved on? I am still waiting to hear that it does before I decide to upgrade. Otherwise I am happy with what I have.

S207 fixed DLNA for me. My Hopper and Joeys are direct ethernet connected. Previously none of my devices could see the DLNA server.

Ganthet said:
S207 fixed DLNA for me. My Hopper and Joeys are direct ethernet connected. Previously none of my devices could see the DLNA server.

What does your network setup screen show for your Joey now? Red or green?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

The Ethernet section is all green and has been since the install. The MOCA section is green for the DHCP address, but red for Server and Internet Connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)